|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Alyosha's Dreams.
(b) Scattered legends.
(c) Star Constellations.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Run away.
(b) Crowd around him.
(c) Ask him to heal them.
(d) Fall at his feet.
3. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks they are wise.
(b) He thinks he has better ones.
(c) He thinks they are too hard.
(d) He is confused by them.
4. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) The cardinal's holliness.
(b) If the cardinal had sinned.
(c) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(d) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
5. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(b) The queen.
(c) His assistants.
(d) The "holy guard."
6. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) Across from the cemetery.
(b) In the street.
(c) On the steps of the cathedral.
(d) At the market.
7. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will remain in prison.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He will have a chance to preach.
(d) He will be burned.
8. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Across from the market.
(b) In his house.
(c) Coming out of the church.
(d) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
9. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) The try to free him.
(b) They bow down to the cardinal.
(c) The protest.
(d) They cheer the cardinal.
10. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(a) St. Petersburg.
11. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) It is a vacation.
(b) He comes to Spain.
(c) It is not his final return.
(d) It is not really him.
12. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(c) Archangel Michael.
13. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Asking him too many questions.
(b) Protesting for religous freedom.
(c) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(d) Trying to get him fired.
14. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) The spirit's reaction.
(b) The three questions.
(c) The energy created by it.
(d) Jesus' response.
15. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(b) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(c) Understand the three questions.
(d) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
3. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
5. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)