|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) Divine Comedy.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
2. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) Jesus' response.
(b) The energy created by it.
(c) The spirit's reaction.
(d) The three questions.
3. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he would eventually forget them.
(c) So he could invent better ones.
(d) So he could imagine their recreation.
4. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The priest.
(c) The girl's sister.
(d) The crowd.
5. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
(a) The king.
(b) The woman from the crowd.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The girl he healed.
6. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Walks toward him.
(b) Introduces himself.
(c) Asks him his identity.
(d) Gazes at him for a long time.
7. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
(b) If the cardinal had sinned.
(c) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(d) The cardinal's holliness.
8. How does Ivan describe the prison?
9. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will remain in prison.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He will have a chance to preach.
(d) He will be burned.
10. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
11. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Throws flowers at his feet.
(b) Cries, "it is He."
(c) Asks him for healing.
(d) Elects him cardinal.
12. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He performed great miracles.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He was taught prayers.
(d) He was asked three questions.
13. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) A funeral suit.
(b) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(c) An old monk's cassock.
(d) Uniform of the "holy guard."
14. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Lessons to be practiced
(b) Verses to memorize
(c) Rewards for good deads
(d) Punishments for sin
15. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 17th century.
(c) 15th century.
(d) 16th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
4. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
5. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)