|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He helps a man escape torture.
(b) He forgives a woman's sins.
(c) He brings a girl back to life.
(d) He allows a blind man to see.
2. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He appears unobserved.
(b) He heals a blind man.
(c) He holds out his hands.
(d) He walks into a crowd.
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(b) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(c) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
5. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
(b) They beg them for mercy.
(c) They fight to push the guards back.
(d) They make way for the guards.
6. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Across from the market.
(b) Coming out of the church.
(c) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(d) In his house.
7. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) Jesus was tempted.
(b) There was a mighty storm.
(c) He learned to survive.
(d) The prisoner got lost.
8. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) On a holiday.
(b) Researching scripture.
(c) Training bishops for service.
(d) Presiding over the auto de fe.
9. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(d) Jesus will punish the sinners.
10. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) He asks him to repeat someting.
(b) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(c) Asks what inspired it.
(d) Asks him to explain something
11. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Shout, "it is He."
(b) Write down his words.
(c) Ask him for freedom.
(d) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
12. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could imagine their recreation.
(b) So he could invent better ones.
(c) So he could accept new ones.
(d) So he would eventually forget them.
13. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(b) He thinks it is very orignal.
(c) He would like to refine it more.
(d) He thinks it is funny.
14. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will be indifferent.
(b) The will help burn him.
(c) They will protest it.
(d) The will reluctantly accept it.
15. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
(a) He calls for his guards.
(b) He smiles mischeviously.
(c) His face darkens and his eyebrows tense.
(d) He orders a man arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
3. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
5. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)