|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(b) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(c) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
(d) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
2. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(d) Calm but judicious
3. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(b) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(c) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(d) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Asks him for healing.
(b) Throws flowers at his feet.
(c) Elects him cardinal.
(d) Cries, "it is He."
5. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(c) Peter the Great.
6. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) Victor Hugo.
7. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Allow him to wash.
(b) Feed him.
(c) Ask him his name.
(d) Lock him in a cell.
8. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(b) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(c) She wants to save her friends in hell.
(d) She believes in forgiveness for all.
9. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) The three questions.
(b) Jesus' response.
(c) The spirit's reaction.
(d) The energy created by it.
10. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(b) To stop the Inquisition.
(c) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
11. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The queen.
(c) His assistants.
(d) The "holy guard."
12. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) The return of Jesus.
(b) A famous battle.
(c) Public ceremony of punishment.
(d) A church holliday.
13. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Demand their obedience.
(b) Preach a sermon.
(c) Bless them.
(d) Explain his actions.
14. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(c) Archangel Michael.
15. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Understand the three questions.
(d) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
2. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
3. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
4. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)