|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Understand the three questions.
(d) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Preach a sermon.
(b) Bless them.
(c) Explain his actions.
(d) Demand their obedience.
3. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
4. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He appears unobserved.
(c) He holds out his hands.
(d) He heals a blind man.
5. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Victor Hugo.
6. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He thinks it is very orignal.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
7. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(b) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
(c) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(d) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
8. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will protest it.
(b) The will reluctantly accept it.
(c) The will help burn him.
(d) They will be indifferent.
9. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
(a) A condmened man.
(b) A blind man.
(c) A dead girl.
(d) The Inquisitor.
10. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(d) St. Petersburg.
11. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
(a) Jesus appearing.
(b) A man's sight being restored.
(c) A girl coming back to life.
(d) A man asking to be healed.
12. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He makes a joke of it.
(b) He poses it to the prisoner.
(c) He quotes the bible.
(d) He puts it into he own words.
13. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(c) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
14. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(b) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
(c) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
(d) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
15. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Devil.
(c) The Archangel Michael.
(d) Our Lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
2. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
3. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
4. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
5. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)