|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their prophetic nature.
(b) How they would be answered.
(c) Their importance.
(d) Their truth.
2. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(a) Archangel Michael.
3. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) The prisoner got lost.
(b) Jesus was tempted.
(c) There was a mighty storm.
(d) He learned to survive.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The inquistion.
(b) The teachings of the church.
(c) His temptation by a spirt.
(d) Sin in man.
6. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
(a) He orders a man arrested.
(b) His face darkens and his eyebrows tense.
(c) He calls for his guards.
(d) He smiles mischeviously.
7. How old is the cardinal?
(a) Almost ninety.
(b) Slighty over eighty.
(c) One hundred.
8. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) Divine Comedy.
9. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He holds out his hands.
(c) He heals a blind man.
(d) He appears unobserved.
10. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) The devil.
(b) St. Peter.
11. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He quotes the bible.
(b) He puts it into he own words.
(c) He makes a joke of it.
(d) He poses it to the prisoner.
12. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) John the Baptist.
(c) The archangel Michael.
13. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) The people's philosophy.
(b) The history of mankind afterward.
(c) Contradictions of human nature.
(d) Fact and imagination.
14. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They fight to push the guards back.
(b) They make way for the guards.
(c) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
(d) They beg them for mercy.
15. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the prison?
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
3. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
4. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
5. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)