|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the cardinal?
(a) Almost ninety.
(c) Slighty over eighty.
(d) One hundred.
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(b) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(c) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(d) Jesus' teachings are not true.
3. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(b) The queen.
(c) His assistants.
(d) The "holy guard."
4. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Feed him.
(b) Ask him his name.
(c) Allow him to wash.
(d) Lock him in a cell.
5. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Coming out of the church.
(b) In his house.
(c) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(d) Across from the market.
6. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will be freed.
(b) He will be burned.
(c) He will remain in prison.
(d) He will have a chance to preach.
7. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
(a) Jumps out of the coffin.
(c) Looks at flowers.
8. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Upon the return of Jesus.
(b) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(c) At the start of WWII.
(d) Before the time of Peter the Great.
9. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will be indifferent.
(b) The will help burn him.
(c) The will reluctantly accept it.
(d) They will protest it.
10. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
(a) He thinks his old teachings are perfect.
(b) It would undermine the church's authority.
(c) He doesn't believe in Jesus.
(d) Jesus teachings are not true.
11. Why does the crowd tremble in obedience to the cardinal?
(a) He orders them on their knees.
(b) They hope he will reward them.
(c) They know he is powerful.
(d) He tells the guards to arrest them.
12. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(b) Scattered legends.
(c) Star Constellations.
(d) Alyosha's Dreams.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He performed great miracles.
(c) He was taught prayers.
(d) He was blessed.
14. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) Uniform of the "holy guard."
(b) An old monk's cassock.
(c) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(d) A funeral suit.
15. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) Miracles can no longer occur.
(b) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(c) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(d) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
2. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
5. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)