|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Rewards for good deads
(b) Lessons to be practiced
(c) Verses to memorize
(d) Punishments for sin
2. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks they are wise.
(b) He thinks they are too hard.
(c) He is confused by them.
(d) He thinks he has better ones.
3. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
(a) Alyosha has to leave.
(b) He gets tired.
(c) He pauses to question Alyosha.
(d) Alyosha asks a question.
4. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Training bishops for service.
(b) Researching scripture.
(c) Presiding over the auto de fe.
(d) On a holiday.
5. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he could invent better ones.
(c) So he could imagine their recreation.
(d) So he would eventually forget them.
6. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
(b) Ask him for freedom.
(c) Write down his words.
(d) Shout, "it is He."
7. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They fight to push the guards back.
(b) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
(c) They make way for the guards.
(d) They beg them for mercy.
8. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(c) The cardinal.
(d) A jury.
9. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The bishops.
(b) His assistants.
(c) Two princes.
(d) The king.
10. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He forgives a woman's sins.
(b) He brings a girl back to life.
(c) He allows a blind man to see.
(d) He helps a man escape torture.
11. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She doesn't ask.
(b) She sees him from afar.
(c) The priest tells her to.
(d) The crowd tells her to.
12. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(b) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(c) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
13. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(b) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(c) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(d) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
14. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
15. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He changes clothes everyday.
(b) He was performing his public duties.
(c) His other clothes were dirty.
(d) He was on vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
2. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
3. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
4. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
5. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)