|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(b) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(c) Miracles can no longer occur.
(d) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
2. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
(a) A blind man.
(b) The Inquisitor.
(c) A condmened man.
(d) A dead girl.
3. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) Sin in man.
(b) His temptation by a spirt.
(c) The teachings of the church.
(d) The inquistion.
4. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Mercy for all those in hell.
(b) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(c) The life of Jesus.
(d) The history of the world.
5. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
(a) A man's sight being restored.
(b) Jesus appearing.
(c) A girl coming back to life.
(d) A man asking to be healed.
6. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Heretics were burnt.
(b) The cardinal condemned burning.
(c) The grand inquisitor was not present.
(d) The king's court did not show up.
7. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(a) The grand inquisitor.
(b) The narrator.
8. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) The devil.
(b) St. Peter.
9. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
(b) Jumps out of the coffin.
(d) Looks at flowers.
10. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(b) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(c) Upon the return of Jesus.
(d) At the start of WWII.
11. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
(a) The cardinal.
(b) The girl he healed.
(c) The king.
(d) The woman from the crowd.
12. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(b) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
(c) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
(d) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He performed great miracles.
(c) He was taught prayers.
(d) He was blessed.
14. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
15. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will be burned.
(b) He will have a chance to preach.
(c) He will remain in prison.
(d) He will be freed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
2. In the Inquisition what are penances?
3. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
4. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
5. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)