|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) It is a vacation.
(b) He comes to Spain.
(c) It is not really him.
(d) It is not his final return.
2. How does Ivan describe the prison?
3. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
(b) The cardinal's holliness.
(c) If the cardinal had sinned.
(d) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
4. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) The crowd tells her to.
(b) She doesn't ask.
(c) She sees him from afar.
(d) The priest tells her to.
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(c) St. Petersburg.
6. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) A well-written introduction.
(b) A preface explaining what literature is.
(c) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(d) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
7. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their prophetic nature.
(b) Their importance.
(c) Their truth.
(d) How they would be answered.
8. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
9. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will have a chance to preach.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He will be burned.
(d) He will remain in prison.
10. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He would like to refine it more.
(b) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(c) He thinks it is very orignal.
(d) He thinks it is funny.
11. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Virgin Mary.
(b) The Archangel Michael.
12. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) The history of mankind afterward.
(b) The people's philosophy.
(c) Contradictions of human nature.
(d) Fact and imagination.
13. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Explain his actions.
(b) Bless them.
(c) Demand their obedience.
(d) Preach a sermon.
14. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Alyosha's Dreams.
(c) Scattered legends.
(d) Star Constellations.
15. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He was taught prayers.
(d) He performed great miracles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
2. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
3. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)