|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
2. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
(b) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
(c) To burn condemned people alive.
(d) To warm the court rooms.
3. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) He asks him to repeat someting.
(b) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(c) Asks him to explain something
(d) Asks what inspired it.
4. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will protest it.
(b) The will reluctantly accept it.
(c) They will be indifferent.
(d) The will help burn him.
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) St. Peter.
(d) The devil.
6. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) The crowd tells her to.
(b) The priest tells her to.
(c) She doesn't ask.
(d) She sees him from afar.
7. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
8. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) The history of the world.
(b) The life of Jesus.
(c) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(d) Mercy for all those in hell.
9. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) John the Baptist.
(d) The archangel Michael.
10. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
(a) He asks Jesus.
(b) Jesus presses is hand to his eyes.
(c) He grabs Jesus hand.
(d) He touches Jesus clothes.
11. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Asking him too many questions.
(b) Trying to get him fired.
(c) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(d) Protesting for religous freedom.
12. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
(a) The Inquisitor.
(b) A blind man.
(c) A condmened man.
(d) A dead girl.
13. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(c) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(d) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) Sin in man.
(b) The teachings of the church.
(c) The inquistion.
(d) His temptation by a spirt.
15. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) On the steps of the cathedral.
(b) In the street.
(c) At the market.
(d) Across from the cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
2. How does Ivan describe the prison?
3. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
4. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)