|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 17th century.
(c) 15th century.
(d) 16th century.
2. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
(a) It would undermine the church's authority.
(b) He thinks his old teachings are perfect.
(c) He doesn't believe in Jesus.
(d) Jesus teachings are not true.
3. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(b) Calm but judicious
4. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Fearful and mysterious.
(b) Silent and shadowy.
(c) Cool and windy.
(d) Burning and breathless.
5. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Heretics were burnt.
(b) The cardinal condemned burning.
(c) The king's court did not show up.
(d) The grand inquisitor was not present.
6. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) They cheer the cardinal.
(b) They bow down to the cardinal.
(c) The try to free him.
(d) The protest.
7. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks he has better ones.
(b) He is confused by them.
(c) He thinks they are too hard.
(d) He thinks they are wise.
8. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(b) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(c) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(d) He asks what she would do if she were him.
9. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
(a) To a secret location outside of town.
(b) To the cathedral.
(c) To the cardinal's chamber.
(d) To the prison.
10. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Alyosha's Dreams.
(c) Star Constellations.
(d) Scattered legends.
11. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The devil.
12. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(a) The cardinal.
(b) A jury.
13. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
(a) All who come in contact with him.
(b) All who ask him.
(c) All who he loves.
(d) All who pray.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) The prisoner got lost.
(b) He learned to survive.
(c) Jesus was tempted.
(d) There was a mighty storm.
15. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(d) Understand the three questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
2. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
3. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
4. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)