|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(b) Trying to get him fired.
(c) Protesting for religous freedom.
(d) Asking him too many questions.
2. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The end of time.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) Jesus' eyes.
(d) The wrath of God.
3. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(b) Asks him to explain something
(c) He asks him to repeat someting.
(d) Asks what inspired it.
4. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(c) St. Petersburg.
5. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
6. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Ask him to heal them.
(b) Crowd around him.
(c) Fall at his feet.
(d) Run away.
7. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(c) St. Peter.
(d) The devil.
8. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Lessons to be practiced
(b) Verses to memorize
(c) Rewards for good deads
(d) Punishments for sin
9. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) Across from the cemetery.
(b) At the market.
(c) On the steps of the cathedral.
(d) In the street.
10. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Scattered legends.
(b) Star Constellations.
(d) Alyosha's Dreams.
11. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
(a) A condmened man.
(b) A dead girl.
(c) The Inquisitor.
(d) A blind man.
12. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Across from the market.
(b) In his house.
(c) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(d) Coming out of the church.
13. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) The energy created by it.
(b) The spirit's reaction.
(c) The three questions.
(d) Jesus' response.
14. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Gazes at him for a long time.
(b) Walks toward him.
(c) Asks him his identity.
(d) Introduces himself.
15. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He brings a girl back to life.
(b) He allows a blind man to see.
(c) He helps a man escape torture.
(d) He forgives a woman's sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
2. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
3. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
4. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
5. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)