|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) On the steps of the cathedral.
(b) Across from the cemetery.
(c) In the street.
(d) At the market.
2. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(b) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is funny.
(b) He thinks it is very orignal.
(c) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
4. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their prophetic nature.
(b) Their importance.
(c) Their truth.
(d) How they would be answered.
5. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A light.
(d) A Bible.
6. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Auto de Fe.
(c) The Protestant reformation.
(d) The Crusades.
7. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To warm the court rooms.
(b) To burn condemned people alive.
(c) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
(d) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
8. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Shout, "it is He."
(b) Ask him for freedom.
(c) Write down his words.
(d) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
9. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Lessons to be practiced
(b) Punishments for sin
(c) Verses to memorize
(d) Rewards for good deads
10. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The end of time.
(b) The wrath of God.
(c) Jesus' eyes.
(d) The return of Jesus.
11. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They make way for the guards.
(b) They fight to push the guards back.
(c) They beg them for mercy.
(d) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
12. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(b) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(c) Miracles can no longer occur.
(d) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
13. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) More factual details.
(b) Ideas about modern science.
(c) A judgement about of man's nature.
(d) A quotation from scripture.
14. How does Ivan describe the prison?
15. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
(a) The people of Seville.
(c) Travelers on the road.
(d) A spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
3. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
4. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
5. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)