|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(a) The cardinal.
(d) A jury.
2. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(c) St. Petersburg.
3. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) Divine Comedy.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(d) Les Misérables.
4. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A famous battle.
(b) Public ceremony of punishment.
(c) The return of Jesus.
(d) A church holliday.
5. How does Ivan describe the prison?
6. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
(a) To arrest a man.
(b) To disperse the crowd.
(c) To protect him.
(d) To order the crowd to be silent.
7. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Throws himself at his feet.
(b) Kneels gently down.
(c) Gently looks at him.
(d) Puts her hands to her heart.
8. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Victor Hugo.
(d) Peter the Great.
9. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he could invent better ones.
(c) So he would eventually forget them.
(d) So he could imagine their recreation.
10. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) The cardinal's holliness.
(b) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
(c) If the cardinal had sinned.
(d) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
11. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
(b) To warm the court rooms.
(c) To burn condemned people alive.
(d) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
12. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Ask him for freedom.
(b) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
(c) Write down his words.
(d) Shout, "it is He."
13. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(b) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(c) Miracles can no longer occur.
(d) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
14. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) The king's court did not show up.
(b) The grand inquisitor was not present.
(c) The cardinal condemned burning.
(d) Heretics were burnt.
15. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(b) The life of Jesus.
(c) Mercy for all those in hell.
(d) The history of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
2. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
3. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
4. Where is the prison?
5. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)