|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hiding the dead girl?
(b) The coffin lid.
(d) A veil.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Ask him to heal them.
(b) Crowd around him.
(c) Fall at his feet.
(d) Run away.
3. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He heals a blind man.
(c) He appears unobserved.
(d) He holds out his hands.
4. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
5. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(b) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(c) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(d) She wants to save her friends in hell.
6. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) Asks what inspired it.
(b) He asks him to repeat someting.
(c) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(d) Asks him to explain something
7. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will be burned.
(b) He will remain in prison.
(c) He will be freed.
(d) He will have a chance to preach.
8. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The teachings of the church.
(b) His temptation by a spirt.
(c) The inquistion.
(d) Sin in man.
9. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Presiding over the auto de fe.
(b) Researching scripture.
(c) Training bishops for service.
(d) On a holiday.
10. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) They cheer the cardinal.
(b) The try to free him.
(c) The protest.
(d) They bow down to the cardinal.
11. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The end of time.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) Jesus' eyes.
(d) The wrath of God.
12. How old is the cardinal?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Slighty over eighty.
(c) Almost ninety.
13. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(a) Archangel Michael.
14. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Ask him his name.
(b) Feed him.
(c) Allow him to wash.
(d) Lock him in a cell.
15. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(a) Calm but judicious
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
2. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
3. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
4. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
5. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)