|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) Divine Comedy.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
2. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
3. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(c) A Bible.
(d) A light.
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Throws flowers at his feet.
(b) Asks him for healing.
(c) Elects him cardinal.
(d) Cries, "it is He."
5. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) There was a mighty storm.
(b) The prisoner got lost.
(c) He learned to survive.
(d) Jesus was tempted.
6. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(b) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(c) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(d) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
7. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(a) St. Petersburg.
8. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) An old monk's cassock.
(b) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(c) A funeral suit.
(d) Uniform of the "holy guard."
9. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(b) Upon the return of Jesus.
(c) At the start of WWII.
(d) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
10. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The knights.
(b) The pope.
(c) The cardinals.
(d) The king.
11. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(b) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(c) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
12. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will remain in prison.
(b) He will have a chance to preach.
(c) He will be burned.
(d) He will be freed.
13. How old is the cardinal?
(b) Slighty over eighty.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Almost ninety.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The inquistion.
(b) Sin in man.
(c) His temptation by a spirt.
(d) The teachings of the church.
15. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(b) Calm but judicious
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
2. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
3. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
4. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)