|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) Ideas about modern science.
(b) More factual details.
(c) A quotation from scripture.
(d) A judgement about of man's nature.
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) At the start of WWII.
(b) Upon the return of Jesus.
(c) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(d) Before the time of Peter the Great.
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(b) Scattered legends.
(c) Star Constellations.
(d) Alyosha's Dreams.
4. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
(a) The woman from the crowd.
(b) The king.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The girl he healed.
5. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(b) Calm but judicious
6. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(b) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(c) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
(d) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
7. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Understand the three questions.
(b) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(c) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(d) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
8. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
(a) All who come in contact with him.
(b) All who ask him.
(c) All who pray.
(d) All who he loves.
9. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) An old monk's cassock.
(b) A funeral suit.
(c) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(d) Uniform of the "holy guard."
10. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The girl's sister.
(c) The crowd.
(d) The priest.
11. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
(a) He calls for his guards.
(b) He orders a man arrested.
(c) He smiles mischeviously.
(d) His face darkens and his eyebrows tense.
12. Where is the prison?
(a) Outside of town.
(b) In the basement of the catherdral.
(c) In the palace.
(d) Near the market.
13. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The inquistion.
(b) His temptation by a spirt.
(c) Sin in man.
(d) The teachings of the church.
14. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) A well-written introduction.
(b) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(c) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(d) A preface explaining what literature is.
15. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) Contradictions of human nature.
(b) The people's philosophy.
(c) The history of mankind afterward.
(d) Fact and imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
2. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
3. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
4. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
5. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)