|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will protest it.
(b) They will be indifferent.
(c) The will help burn him.
(d) The will reluctantly accept it.
2. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The cardinals.
(b) The king.
(c) The pope.
(d) The knights.
3. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Walks toward him.
(b) Introduces himself.
(c) Gazes at him for a long time.
(d) Asks him his identity.
4. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
5. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He makes a joke of it.
(b) He poses it to the prisoner.
(c) He puts it into he own words.
(d) He quotes the bible.
6. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(b) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(c) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(d) Miracles can no longer occur.
7. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(c) The devil.
(d) The grand inquisitor.
8. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(d) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
9. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was taught prayers.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He was asked three questions.
(d) He performed great miracles.
10. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(c) St. Petersburg.
11. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They fight to push the guards back.
(b) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
(c) They make way for the guards.
(d) They beg them for mercy.
12. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(b) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
13. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(b) Scattered legends.
(c) Alyosha's Dreams.
(d) Star Constellations.
14. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks they are wise.
(b) He thinks they are too hard.
(c) He thinks he has better ones.
(d) He is confused by them.
15. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) The archangel Michael.
(c) John the Baptist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
2. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
3. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)