|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She doesn't ask.
(b) She sees him from afar.
(c) The priest tells her to.
(d) The crowd tells her to.
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Upon the return of Jesus.
(b) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(c) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(d) At the start of WWII.
3. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The wrath of God.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) The end of time.
(d) Jesus' eyes.
4. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
5. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Auto de Fe.
(b) The Spanish Inquisition.
(c) The Protestant reformation.
(d) The Crusades.
6. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He was performing his public duties.
(b) He was on vacation.
(c) His other clothes were dirty.
(d) He changes clothes everyday.
7. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A church holliday.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) Public ceremony of punishment.
(d) A famous battle.
8. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(c) Archangel Michael.
9. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He forgives a woman's sins.
(b) He allows a blind man to see.
(c) He helps a man escape torture.
(d) He brings a girl back to life.
10. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) They cheer the cardinal.
(b) They bow down to the cardinal.
(c) The protest.
(d) The try to free him.
11. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The crowd.
(c) The girl's sister.
(d) The priest.
12. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The pope.
(b) The cardinals.
(c) The knights.
(d) The king.
13. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(b) A Bible.
(c) A light.
14. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
(a) Stopping the inquisition.
(b) Runing for office.
(c) Adding more judges and courts.
(d) Starting a separate inquisition.
15. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
4. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
5. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)