|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Protestant reformation.
(c) The Auto de Fe.
(d) The Crusades.
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Upon the return of Jesus.
(b) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(c) At the start of WWII.
(d) Before the time of Peter the Great.
3. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
(a) He orders a man arrested.
(b) He calls for his guards.
(c) His face darkens and his eyebrows tense.
(d) He smiles mischeviously.
4. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Researching scripture.
(b) On a holiday.
(c) Training bishops for service.
(d) Presiding over the auto de fe.
5. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
(a) Runing for office.
(b) Adding more judges and courts.
(c) Stopping the inquisition.
(d) Starting a separate inquisition.
6. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
(a) Heal a child.
(b) Heal a blind man.
(c) Appear in Seville.
(d) Preach a sermon.
7. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will be indifferent.
(b) The will help burn him.
(c) The will reluctantly accept it.
(d) They will protest it.
8. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A light.
(d) A Bible.
9. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) His assistants.
(b) Two princes.
(c) The king.
(d) The bishops.
10. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The king.
(b) The pope.
(c) The cardinals.
(d) The knights.
11. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(b) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(c) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
(d) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
12. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He performed great miracles.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He was asked three questions.
(d) He was taught prayers.
13. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) The protest.
(b) They cheer the cardinal.
(c) The try to free him.
(d) They bow down to the cardinal.
14. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Write down his words.
(b) Shout, "it is He."
(c) Ask him for freedom.
(d) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
15. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(c) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(d) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
4. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
5. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)