|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) Public ceremony of punishment.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) A famous battle.
(d) A church holliday.
2. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He was performing his public duties.
(b) He was on vacation.
(c) His other clothes were dirty.
(d) He changes clothes everyday.
3. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She sees him from afar.
(b) The priest tells her to.
(c) The crowd tells her to.
(d) She doesn't ask.
4. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The queen.
(b) The "holy guard."
(d) His assistants.
5. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) More factual details.
(b) Ideas about modern science.
(c) A judgement about of man's nature.
(d) A quotation from scripture.
6. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Verses to memorize
(b) Lessons to be practiced
(c) Rewards for good deads
(d) Punishments for sin
7. What is hiding the dead girl?
(a) A veil.
(c) The coffin lid.
8. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
(a) A man's sight being restored.
(b) A man asking to be healed.
(c) A girl coming back to life.
(d) Jesus appearing.
9. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
10. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To burn condemned people alive.
(b) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
(c) To warm the court rooms.
(d) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
11. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
(b) The people of Seville.
(c) Travelers on the road.
(d) A spirit.
12. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) Divine Comedy.
13. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) He asks him to repeat someting.
(b) Asks what inspired it.
(c) Asks him to explain something
(d) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
14. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) He learned to survive.
(b) The prisoner got lost.
(c) There was a mighty storm.
(d) Jesus was tempted.
15. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The Auto de Fe.
(c) The Spanish Inquisition.
(d) The Protestant reformation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
2. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
3. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
4. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)