|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
(b) Travelers on the road.
(c) A spirit.
(d) The people of Seville.
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) The archangel Michael.
(d) John the Baptist.
3. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
(a) To the cardinal's chamber.
(b) To a secret location outside of town.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To the cathedral.
4. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) The will help burn him.
(b) They will be indifferent.
(c) The will reluctantly accept it.
(d) They will protest it.
5. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
(a) He asks Jesus.
(b) Jesus presses is hand to his eyes.
(c) He grabs Jesus hand.
(d) He touches Jesus clothes.
6. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Throws himself at his feet.
(b) Kneels gently down.
(c) Gently looks at him.
(d) Puts her hands to her heart.
7. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(b) Calm but judicious
8. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
9. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) Public ceremony of punishment.
(b) A church holliday.
(c) The return of Jesus.
(d) A famous battle.
10. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Virgin Mary.
(c) The Archangel Michael.
11. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) The inquistion.
(b) His temptation by a spirt.
(c) Sin in man.
(d) The teachings of the church.
12. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
13. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Elects him cardinal.
(b) Asks him for healing.
(c) Cries, "it is He."
(d) Throws flowers at his feet.
14. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) The history of mankind afterward.
(b) The people's philosophy.
(c) Fact and imagination.
(d) Contradictions of human nature.
15. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is very orignal.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
2. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
4. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
5. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)