|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He changes clothes everyday.
(b) He was performing his public duties.
(c) His other clothes were dirty.
(d) He was on vacation.
2. How does the cardinal''s face look?
(b) Calm but judicious
3. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
(a) To order the crowd to be silent.
(b) To arrest a man.
(c) To protect him.
(d) To disperse the crowd.
4. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
(a) A condmened man.
(b) A dead girl.
(c) A blind man.
(d) The Inquisitor.
5. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Peter the Great.
(c) Victor Hugo.
6. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
(a) Alyosha asks a question.
(b) He pauses to question Alyosha.
(c) Alyosha has to leave.
(d) He gets tired.
7. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) More factual details.
(b) A judgement about of man's nature.
(c) A quotation from scripture.
(d) Ideas about modern science.
8. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Introduces himself.
(b) Asks him his identity.
(c) Gazes at him for a long time.
(d) Walks toward him.
9. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their importance.
(b) How they would be answered.
(c) Their prophetic nature.
(d) Their truth.
10. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) Jesus' eyes.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) The end of time.
(d) The wrath of God.
11. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The narrator.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
12. What is hiding the dead girl?
(c) A veil.
(d) The coffin lid.
13. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) Asks him to explain something
(b) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(c) He asks him to repeat someting.
(d) Asks what inspired it.
14. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(b) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(c) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
(d) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
15. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Elects him cardinal.
(b) Cries, "it is He."
(c) Throws flowers at his feet.
(d) Asks him for healing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
2. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
4. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
5. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)