|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
(a) Someone could come along and seize the conscience of humanity.
(b) Man can not live on bread alone.
(c) He thinks spritual wealth is more important.
(d) He doesn't beleive people want bread.
2. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
(c) Stop sinning.
(d) Be appeased.
3. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(d) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
4. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) In his house.
(b) Across from the market.
(c) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(d) Coming out of the church.
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
(a) Burdened it with suffering.
(b) Protected it from the church.
(c) Saved it from destruction.
(d) Created it in his actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will continue to suffer if the church becomes all powerful?
2. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
3. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
4. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)