|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
(a) Eternal forgiveness.
(b) The right to speak in his name.
(c) Freedom to accept or reject his teaching.
(d) Ability to communicate in disguise.
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(d) Jesus' teachings are not true.
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(b) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(c) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Archangel Michael.
(c) The Devil.
(d) Our Lady.
5. What does Ivan say must exist among the clergy?
(a) One believer in the church's mission.
(b) A man unlike the inquisitor.
(c) Jesus in disguise.
(d) Hope and love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
2. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
3. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
4. How does the grand inquisitor think Jesus created conscience?
5. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)