|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Freedom to make decisions.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Jesus and the church.
(d) Something to live for.
2. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
(a) 17th century.
(b) 18th century.
(c) 15th century.
(d) 16th century.
3. How does the church create a unified body of worship?
(b) Forcing its will on leaders and citizens.
(c) Setting examples to be followed.
(d) Using promises made by Jesus.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He performed great miracles.
(d) He was taught prayers.
5. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
5. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)