|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor accuse Jesus of?
(a) Faking his sympathy.
(b) Caring only for the strong.
(c) Being blind to the truth.
(d) Thinking sinful thoughts.
2. According to the grand inquisitor, how has the church responded to the questions used to tempt Jesus?
(a) They have denied them as Jesus did.
(b) they have considered them philosophically.
(c) They have accepted them.
(d) the have forgotten there nature.
3. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(b) A well-written introduction.
(c) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(d) A preface explaining what literature is.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
(a) He was asked three questions.
(b) He was blessed.
(c) He performed great miracles.
(d) He was taught prayers.
5. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
(a) Ability to communicate in disguise.
(b) The right to speak in his name.
(c) Freedom to accept or reject his teaching.
(d) Eternal forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. What does Ivan hope to learn upon meeting Alyosha again?
4. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
5. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)