|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
(a) The spirit who tempted him.
(b) Jesus for refusing temptation.
(c) Those who renounced Jesus.
(d) The church for seizing power.
2. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
(a) He will have a chance to preach.
(b) He will be freed.
(c) He will remain in prison.
(d) He will be burned.
3. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
4. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(b) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(c) Upon the return of Jesus.
(d) At the start of WWII.
5. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Something to live for.
(b) Freedom to make decisions.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Jesus and the church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
2. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
3. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
5. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)