|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ivan and Alyosha Converse.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He appears unobserved.
(c) He holds out his hands.
(d) He heals a blind man.
2. What is the third thing Jesus is tempted with?
(a) Beautiful women.
(b) Having his own church.
(c) Seizing authority.
(d) Eternal life.
3. What sanction does the grand inquisitor claim Jesus has given for their behavior?
(a) Eternal forgiveness.
(b) Freedom to accept or reject his teaching.
(c) The right to speak in his name.
(d) Ability to communicate in disguise.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say is more powerful than the banner of bread?
(a) Providing food and shelter.
(b) Possession of the conscience.
(c) Eternal love.
(d) The church and the Inquistion.
5. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(c) The narrator.
(d) The grand inquisitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
3. How old is the cardinal?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say the prisoner talked to in the wilderness?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)