|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
(a) Give freedom to all.
(b) Eliminate all misery.
(c) Finally understand Jesus temptation.
(d) Make greater questions than those that tempted Jesus.
2. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
3. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) Our Lady.
(b) The Archangel Michael.
(d) The Devil.
4. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will be indifferent.
(b) The will reluctantly accept it.
(c) They will protest it.
(d) The will help burn him.
5. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
(a) They protest verbally but do not intervene.
(b) They beg them for mercy.
(c) They fight to push the guards back.
(d) They make way for the guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the grand inquisitor say man prefers death?
2. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
3. How does the cardinal''s face look?
4. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus wishes from people?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)