|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
(a) He knows they are afraid of freedom.
(b) He says he would have done the same.
(c) He points at advances in science.
(d) His says misery increased and Christ was not around.
2. How is the world divided according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) Into the holy and unholy.
(b) Into those who believe, wonder and disbelieve.
(c) By class and ethnicity.
(d) Followers of Jesus and followers of the church.
3. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
4. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
(a) Why he thinks the prisoner is Jesus.
(b) Why he wants the prisoner killed.
(c) Why he tells the prisoner he was warned.
(d) Why he asks the prisoner why he has come.
5. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) No one.
(b) The church.
(c) The great scientists and thinkers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say man will do for earthly bread?
2. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
4. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)