|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Cool and windy.
(b) Silent and shadowy.
(c) Burning and breathless.
(d) Fearful and mysterious.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) Jesus is returning as he promised.
3. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(b) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(c) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(d) Understand the three questions.
4. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Supreme knowledge.
(b) Scientific acheivement.
(c) Man trying to equal god.
(d) Physical power.
5. How does Ivan describe the prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
2. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
3. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
4. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
5. What changes in himself does the grand inquisitor confess?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)