|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
2. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) A funeral suit.
(b) An old monk's cassock.
(c) Uniform of the "holy guard."
(d) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
3. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
(a) A girl coming back to life.
(b) Jesus appearing.
(c) A man's sight being restored.
(d) A man asking to be healed.
4. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
(a) Proving his power to all.
(b) Healing the world.
(c) Asking for forgiveness.
(d) Seizing power.
5. Who does the grand inquisitor say is blameless?
(a) Jesus for refusing temptation.
(b) Those who renounced Jesus.
(c) The spirit who tempted him.
(d) The church for seizing power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
3. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
4. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
5. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)