|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
(a) Helped his work to completion.
(b) Brought his work to the masses.
(c) Corrected his work.
(d) Finished his work.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(b) To stop the Inquisition.
(c) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
3. What does the inquisitor say will eventually happen?
(a) Everyone will become free.
(b) People will reject the church.
(c) People will reject the teachings of Jesus.
(d) Everyone will learn the truth about god.
4. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(d) Jesus will punish the sinners.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
2. What is the result of Jesus refusal to take power in the world?
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
4. What is the second thing Jesus was tempted with?
5. How old is the cardinal?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)