|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The devil.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
2. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
(a) Adding more judges and courts.
(b) Starting a separate inquisition.
(c) Stopping the inquisition.
(d) Runing for office.
3. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The great scientists and thinkers.
(b) No one.
(c) The church.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus rejects in the wilderness?
(a) His temptation by a spirt.
(b) Sin in man.
(c) The teachings of the church.
(d) The inquistion.
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(d) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
2. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
3. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
4. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
5. How old is the cardinal?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)