|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
(a) He refused to prove it.
(b) People are afraid to have faith.
(c) Man is naturally sketptical.
(d) The church has destroyed faith.
2. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) To save them from misery.
(b) To enslave them.
(c) To protect the the church.
(d) To maintain his authority.
3. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(b) She wants to save her friends in hell.
(c) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(d) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
4. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
(a) They want food.
(b) They can't do it themselves.
(c) They need it to be completed.
(d) They will not believe in Jesus.
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He thinks the must work for their food.
(b) He did not want to buy their obedience.
(c) He thinks he is selfish.
(d) He does not think them worthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
2. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
3. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)