|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) The archangel Michael.
2. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Man trying to equal god.
(b) Physical power.
(c) Scientific acheivement.
(d) Supreme knowledge.
3. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) It is not really him.
(b) He comes to Spain.
(c) It is a vacation.
(d) It is not his final return.
4. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
(a) His face darkens and his eyebrows tense.
(b) He calls for his guards.
(c) He smiles mischeviously.
(d) He orders a man arrested.
5. What does the inquisitor predict the church will do when it achieves supreme authority?
(a) Finally understand Jesus temptation.
(b) Make greater questions than those that tempted Jesus.
(c) Eliminate all misery.
(d) Give freedom to all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
2. What does Ivan tell Alyosha is the chief part of the cardinal's speech?
3. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
5. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)