|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What responsibility does the inquisitor say the has clergy taken on?
(a) Re-interpreting Jesus' work.
(b) Knowing the agony of freedom.
(c) Fixing man's mistakes.
(d) Freeing man's soul.
2. What will the church believe about their reign of power?
(a) They will know it is against Jesus' word.
(b) They will expect Jesus' approval.
(c) It will be truthful and holy.
(d) It is in Jesus' name.
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Peter the Great.
(d) Victor Hugo.
4. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(d) St. Petersburg.
5. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) Out of love for humanity.
(b) To deceive the weak.
(c) To protect the strong.
(d) To keep control.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
2. How does the cardinal''s face look?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
4. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)