|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(b) Understand the three questions.
(c) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(d) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Victor Hugo.
(b) Peter the Great.
3. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(c) A light.
(d) A Bible.
4. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(d) St. Petersburg.
5. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
(a) They are disturbed by their deception.
(b) They do not want the power they have.
(c) They will know the burden of freedom of thought.
(d) They do not believe in heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the crowd tremble in obedience to the cardinal?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
3. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus would do if he really loved humanity?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say accompanies faith?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)