|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The queen.
(b) His assistants.
(d) The "holy guard."
2. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(a) Since the 13th century.
(b) 800 years.
(d) Since the death of Caesar.
3. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The narrator.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
4. Where is the cardinal when he sees the crowd?
(a) Walking by the Seville Cathedral.
(b) Coming out of the church.
(c) Across from the market.
(d) In his house.
5. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
(a) Show compassion.
(b) Understand freedom.
(c) Forgive sinners.
(d) Care for the weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
2. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say Jesus did to spirituality?
5. In the Inquisition what are penances?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)