|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the Tower of Babel?
(a) Supreme knowledge.
(b) Man trying to equal god.
(c) Scientific acheivement.
(d) Physical power.
2. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he could imagine their recreation.
(c) So he would eventually forget them.
(d) So he could invent better ones.
3. What will the church declare upon finishing the temple?
(a) It is built for truth.
(b) It is done in Jesus' name.
(c) It is for the good of all men.
(d) It should be celebrated.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(b) Truth and happiness
(c) Jesus promise to mankind
(d) Fear of punishment
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) At the start of WWII.
(b) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(c) Upon the return of Jesus.
(d) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
4. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
5. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)