|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) Fact and imagination.
(b) The people's philosophy.
(c) The history of mankind afterward.
(d) Contradictions of human nature.
2. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
(a) He comes to Spain.
(b) It is not his final return.
(c) It is a vacation.
(d) It is not really him.
3. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He appears unobserved.
(c) He heals a blind man.
(d) He holds out his hands.
4. According to the grand inquisitor, what role does Jesus reject?
(a) Provider of food and shelter.
(b) Giver of wisdom.
(c) Silent wanderer.
(d) Aribiter of truth.
5. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(c) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor say that Jesus didn't love people at all?
4. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
5. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)