|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) They will want it for all.
(b) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
(c) They will know they have abolished it.
(d) It will be publicly banned.
2. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(b) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(c) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(d) She wants to save her friends in hell.
3. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
(a) To a secret location outside of town.
(b) To the cathedral.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To the cardinal's chamber.
4. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
5. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
(a) Everyone would respect him.
(b) The bread would be refused.
(c) His love would be understood.
(d) Everyone would be obedient to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
3. Why does the grand inquisitor think the bribe of bread is ultimately useless?
4. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
5. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)