|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan describe the prison?
2. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
(a) Jesus promise to mankind
(b) Fear of punishment
(c) Miracle, mystery, and authority.
(d) Truth and happiness
3. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) The spirit's reaction.
(b) The three questions.
(c) Jesus' response.
(d) The energy created by it.
4. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) At the market.
(b) On the steps of the cathedral.
(c) Across from the cemetery.
(d) In the street.
5. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Virgin Mary.
(c) The Archangel Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
2. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
3. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
4. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
5. What is the "auto de fe"?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)