|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the grand inquisitor say men have fought and killed?
(a) To preserve the church.
(b) For freedom to worship.
(c) For common worship.
(d) For honor and power.
2. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
(a) They hate all decisions.
(b) They are not smart enough.
(c) They can't understand it.
(d) It too difficult for them.
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(b) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(c) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(d) Miracles can no longer occur.
4. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) A judgement about of man's nature.
(b) A quotation from scripture.
(c) More factual details.
(d) Ideas about modern science.
5. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(a) A jury.
(b) The cardinal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
2. Why does the cardinal say the people would respect Jesus' power if he fed them?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
5. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)