|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(a) The cardinal.
(d) A jury.
2. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
(a) The bread would be refused.
(b) Everyone would respect him.
(c) Everyone would be obedient to him.
(d) His love would be understood.
3. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The wrath of God.
(b) The end of time.
(c) Jesus' eyes.
(d) The return of Jesus.
4. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) It won't be finished.
(b) It will crumble.
(c) Jesus will finish it.
(d) The church will destroy it.
5. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(d) To stop the Inquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
2. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
3. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
4. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)