|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Second Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(b) To stop the Inquisition.
(c) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
2. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Trying to get him fired.
(b) Asking him too many questions.
(c) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(d) Protesting for religous freedom.
3. What does the inquisitor say man can not understand?
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Cries, "it is He."
(b) Throws flowers at his feet.
(c) Asks him for healing.
(d) Elects him cardinal.
5. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
(b) The cardinal's holliness.
(c) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(d) If the cardinal had sinned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
3. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
4. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)