|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Protestant reformation.
(c) The Auto de Fe.
(d) The Crusades.
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) The archangel Michael.
(d) John the Baptist.
3. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He changes clothes everyday.
(b) He was on vacation.
(c) He was performing his public duties.
(d) His other clothes were dirty.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) The prisoner got lost.
(b) He learned to survive.
(c) There was a mighty storm.
(d) Jesus was tempted.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Mercy for all those in hell.
(b) The history of the world.
(c) The life of Jesus.
(d) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
4. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
5. How old is the cardinal?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)