|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
(a) He quotes the bible.
(b) He makes a joke of it.
(c) He puts it into he own words.
(d) He poses it to the prisoner.
2. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
(a) To the cathedral.
(b) To the cardinal's chamber.
(c) To the prison.
(d) To a secret location outside of town.
3. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The crowd.
(c) The girl's sister.
(d) The priest.
4. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
(a) It would undermine the church's authority.
(b) He doesn't believe in Jesus.
(c) Jesus teachings are not true.
(d) He thinks his old teachings are perfect.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) The life of Jesus.
(b) Mercy for all those in hell.
(c) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(d) The history of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
2. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
3. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
4. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)