|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The narrator.
3. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Lessons to be practiced
(b) Punishments for sin
(c) Rewards for good deads
(d) Verses to memorize
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) The archangel Michael.
(c) John the Baptist.
5. What breaks Ivan's Narrative?
(a) He pauses to question Alyosha.
(b) Alyosha has to leave.
(c) Alyosha asks a question.
(d) He gets tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
2. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
3. How does the cardinal''s face look?
4. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
5. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)