|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) Jesus is returning as he promised.
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) Victor Hugo.
(d) Peter the Great.
3. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
(a) Understand Jesus' true teaching.
(b) Equal the force of the spirit's questions.
(c) Dicipher the true meaning of Jesus' temptation.
(d) Understand the three questions.
4. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(d) Jesus' teachings are not true.
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) Miracles can no longer occur.
(b) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(c) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(d) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
2. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
3. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
4. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)