|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
(a) She sees him from afar.
(b) She doesn't ask.
(c) The priest tells her to.
(d) The crowd tells her to.
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(b) At the start of WWII.
(c) Upon the return of Jesus.
(d) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
3. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) Fact and imagination.
(b) The people's philosophy.
(c) Contradictions of human nature.
(d) The history of mankind afterward.
4. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) The three questions.
(b) Jesus' response.
(c) The energy created by it.
(d) The spirit's reaction.
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. How old is the cardinal?
4. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
5. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)