|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Three Temptations of Christ.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the cardinal had sinned.
(b) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(c) The cardinal's holliness.
(d) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) John the Baptist.
(d) The archangel Michael.
3. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) Victor Hugo.
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened in the wilderness?
(a) Jesus was tempted.
(b) The prisoner got lost.
(c) There was a mighty storm.
(d) He learned to survive.
5. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The knights.
(b) The king.
(c) The pope.
(d) The cardinals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
3. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
4. What character is speaking when the story begins?
5. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)