|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(b) Divine Comedy.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
2. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(d) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
3. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) The history of the world.
(b) Mercy for all those in hell.
(c) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(d) The life of Jesus.
4. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(b) A well-written introduction.
(c) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(d) A preface explaining what literature is.
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) The king.
(b) His assistants.
(c) Two princes.
(d) The bishops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
2. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
3. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
4. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
5. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)