|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He thinks it is very orignal.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Demand their obedience.
(b) Preach a sermon.
(c) Explain his actions.
(d) Bless them.
3. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
(a) Lock him in a cell.
(b) Ask him his name.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Allow him to wash.
4. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(b) The "holy guard."
(c) The queen.
(d) His assistants.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) The history of the world.
(b) Mercy for all those in hell.
(c) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(d) The life of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)