|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(b) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(c) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(d) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
2. What is hiding the dead girl?
(a) The coffin lid.
(b) A veil.
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is very orignal.
(b) He would like to refine it more.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He thinks its one of the best parts.
4. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
(a) He changes clothes everyday.
(b) He was on vacation.
(c) He was performing his public duties.
(d) His other clothes were dirty.
5. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
(a) Shout, "it is He."
(b) Ask him for freedom.
(c) Elect him Grand Inquisitor.
(d) Write down his words.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan describe the prison?
2. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
3. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
5. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)