|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He heals a blind man.
(b) He appears unobserved.
(c) He walks into a crowd.
(d) He holds out his hands.
2. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(b) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
(c) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
(d) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
3. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Upon the return of Jesus.
(b) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(c) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(d) At the start of WWII.
4. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Silent and shadowy.
(b) Fearful and mysterious.
(c) Cool and windy.
(d) Burning and breathless.
5. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Gently looks at him.
(b) Throws himself at his feet.
(c) Puts her hands to her heart.
(d) Kneels gently down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
2. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
5. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)