|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) The archangel Michael.
(d) John the Baptist.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) Jesus is returning as he promised.
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The devil.
4. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Ask him to heal them.
(b) Fall at his feet.
(c) Crowd around him.
(d) Run away.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Mercy for all those in hell.
(b) The history of the world.
(c) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(d) The life of Jesus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
2. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
3. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
4. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
5. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)