|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Kneels gently down.
(b) Gently looks at him.
(c) Throws himself at his feet.
(d) Puts her hands to her heart.
2. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) The cardinal condemned burning.
(b) The king's court did not show up.
(c) Heretics were burnt.
(d) The grand inquisitor was not present.
3. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A famous battle.
(b) The return of Jesus.
(c) A church holliday.
(d) Public ceremony of punishment.
4. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
(b) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
(c) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(d) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
2. Who is the first person Jesus helps in the crowd?
3. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)