|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Archangel Michael.
(c) Our Lady.
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
(b) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(c) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(d) Miracles can no longer occur.
3. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(b) Divine Comedy.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(b) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(c) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(d) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
5. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) A well-written introduction.
(b) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(c) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(d) A preface explaining what literature is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
3. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
4. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
5. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)