|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(b) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) Victor Hugo.
3. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
(b) The girl's sister.
(c) The priest.
(d) The crowd.
4. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
5. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Archangel Michael.
(b) The Devil.
(c) Our Lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
2. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
3. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
5. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)