|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(c) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(d) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
2. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) Victor Hugo.
3. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
(a) Archangel Michael.
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(b) St. Peter.
(d) The devil.
5. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
2. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
3. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
4. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)