|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Auto de Fe.
(b) The Spanish Inquisition.
(c) The Protestant reformation.
(d) The Crusades.
2. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
(a) All who ask him.
(b) All who he loves.
(c) All who pray.
(d) All who come in contact with him.
3. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(b) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(c) A well-written introduction.
(d) A preface explaining what literature is.
4. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
5. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
(b) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
(c) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(d) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
3. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
4. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)