|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Inquisition what are penances?
(a) Punishments for sin
(b) Verses to memorize
(c) Rewards for good deads
(d) Lessons to be practiced
2. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) St. Peter.
(d) The devil.
3. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The devil.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
4. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
(b) At the start of WWII.
(c) Upon the return of Jesus.
(d) Before the time of Peter the Great.
5. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(c) The cardinal.
(d) A jury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
3. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
4. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
5. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)