|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) The grand inquisitor.
(d) The devil.
2. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is very orignal.
(b) He would like to refine it more.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He thinks its one of the best parts.
3. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A church holliday.
(b) A famous battle.
(c) Public ceremony of punishment.
(d) The return of Jesus.
4. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Elects him cardinal.
(b) Asks him for healing.
(c) Cries, "it is He."
(d) Throws flowers at his feet.
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(b) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition what are penances?
2. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
4. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
5. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)