|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
(a) The pope.
(b) The king.
(c) The cardinals.
(d) The knights.
2. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(a) St. Petersburg.
3. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
(b) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
(c) To burn condemned people alive.
(d) To warm the court rooms.
4. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The Virgin Mary.
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The devil.
5. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He brings a girl back to life.
(b) He allows a blind man to see.
(c) He forgives a woman's sins.
(d) He helps a man escape torture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
2. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
5. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)