|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(b) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(c) She wants to save her friends in hell.
(d) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
2. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
(b) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(c) Les Misérables.
(d) Divine Comedy.
3. What is the "auto de fe"?
(a) A church holliday.
(b) Public ceremony of punishment.
(c) A famous battle.
(d) The return of Jesus.
4. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(c) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(d) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
5. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
(a) He asks Jesus.
(b) He grabs Jesus hand.
(c) He touches Jesus clothes.
(d) Jesus presses is hand to his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
2. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
3. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
4. In the Inquisition what are penances?
5. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)