|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(d) To stop the Inquisition.
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
(a) It has been 15 centuries since Jesus walked the earth.
(b) Miracles can no longer occur.
(c) Man is no longer in touch with spirituality.
(d) The church has lost proof that Jesus existed.
3. Where does Jesus stop to meet the mother of the dead child?
(a) Across from the cemetery.
(b) On the steps of the cathedral.
(c) At the market.
(d) In the street.
4. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
(a) Heal a blind man.
(b) Heal a child.
(c) Preach a sermon.
(d) Appear in Seville.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(b) The life of Jesus.
(c) The history of the world.
(d) Mercy for all those in hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
2. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
3. In the Inquisition what are penances?
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. What is the "auto de fe"?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)