|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Devil.
(b) Our Lady.
(d) The Archangel Michael.
2. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Puts her hands to her heart.
(b) Gently looks at him.
(c) Throws himself at his feet.
(d) Kneels gently down.
3. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
(b) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(c) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(d) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
4. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Heretics were burnt.
(b) The grand inquisitor was not present.
(c) The king's court did not show up.
(d) The cardinal condemned burning.
5. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Run away.
(b) Ask him to heal them.
(c) Crowd around him.
(d) Fall at his feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
3. How does the blind man get Jesus to heal him?
4. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
5. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)