|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "His" Coming.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't the crowd do when they see Jesus perform two miracles?
(a) Elects him cardinal.
(b) Throws flowers at his feet.
(c) Cries, "it is He."
(d) Asks him for healing.
2. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The Protestant reformation.
(c) The Auto de Fe.
(d) The Spanish Inquisition.
3. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(b) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(c) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
(d) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
4. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) A preface explaining what literature is.
(b) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(c) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(d) A well-written introduction.
5. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) Mercy for all those in hell.
(b) The life of Jesus.
(c) The history of the world.
(d) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
3. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. Why is Jesus' appearance deemed a visit?
5. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)