|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
(b) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(c) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(d) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
2. How does Jesus help the second person in the crowd?
(a) He helps a man escape torture.
(b) He brings a girl back to life.
(c) He forgives a woman's sins.
(d) He allows a blind man to see.
3. How does the prisoner look at the grand inquisitor when he is being accused in his cell?
4. Why does the cardinal say the clergy keeps silent about the true nature of their power?
(a) To deceive the weak.
(b) Out of love for humanity.
(c) To keep control.
(d) To protect the strong.
5. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
(b) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(c) Ignoring the question.
(d) Calmly answering no.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church must do for the people?
2. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
3. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
4. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)