|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) Victor Hugo.
2. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) The try to free him.
(b) They bow down to the cardinal.
(c) The protest.
(d) They cheer the cardinal.
3. In the Inquisition, what happens of one disagrees with the church?
(a) The church is unconcerened.
(b) They can be punished.
(c) They are accepted anyway.
(d) They are shown Jesus teachings.
4. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
(a) To enslave them.
(b) To protect the the church.
(c) To save them from misery.
(d) To maintain his authority.
5. Why is there still doubt as to the truth of Jesus' divinity?
(a) He refused to prove it.
(b) Man is naturally sketptical.
(c) The church has destroyed faith.
(d) People are afraid to have faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grand inquisitor say the church has done to Jesus' work?
2. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
3. What do the guards do with the prisoner?
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
5. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)