|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a prediction given by the grand inquisitor about the future of the church?
(a) It will last for eternity.
(b) It will be destroyed by Jesus.
(c) It will soon crumble.
(d) The will have power over the state.
2. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(b) A jury.
(d) The cardinal.
3. What does the grand inquisitor think people need in addition to life?
(a) Someone to love.
(b) Freedom to make decisions.
(c) Jesus and the church.
(d) Something to live for.
4. What doesn't the inquisitor say is brought to together by the spirit's questions to Jesus?
(a) The history of mankind afterward.
(b) Fact and imagination.
(c) Contradictions of human nature.
(d) The people's philosophy.
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) They will know they have abolished it.
(b) They will want it for all.
(c) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
(d) It will be publicly banned.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the grand inquisitor, what is the church's work founded on?
2. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
3. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
4. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
5. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)