|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan NOT reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Archangel Michael.
(d) Virgin Mary.
2. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
(a) They want food.
(b) They need it to be completed.
(c) They will not believe in Jesus.
(d) They can't do it themselves.
3. How long does the grand inquisitor say it had been since the church followed Jesus' teachings?
(a) 800 years.
(b) Since the death of Caesar.
(d) Since the 13th century.
4. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Cool and windy.
(b) Fearful and mysterious.
(c) Burning and breathless.
(d) Silent and shadowy.
5. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will they/he continue to suffer?
2. Who isn't present in the girl's funeral?
3. What does the cardinal do when he repeats the spirit's questions?
4. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
5. Before he is arrested in the story, what doesn't Jesus do?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)