|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Third Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the grand inquisitor justify people turning their backs?
(a) He points at advances in science.
(b) He says he would have done the same.
(c) He knows they are afraid of freedom.
(d) His says misery increased and Christ was not around.
2. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
(a) Scattered legends.
(c) Alyosha's Dreams.
(d) Star Constellations.
3. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The great scientists and thinkers.
(b) The church.
(c) No one.
4. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
(a) The girl he healed.
(b) The king.
(c) The cardinal.
(d) The woman from the crowd.
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(b) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(c) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(d) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
2. What does the grand inquisitor say is beyond the strength of man?
3. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
4. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
5. Why must the church determine right and wrong for the people, according to the grand inquisitor?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)