|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
(a) Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie.
(b) Les Misérables.
(c) Divine Comedy.
(d) The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) Jesus is returning as he promised.
3. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(b) A light.
(c) A Bible.
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) The archangel Michael.
(c) John the Baptist.
5. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Burning and breathless.
(b) Silent and shadowy.
(c) Cool and windy.
(d) Fearful and mysterious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
3. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
4. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)