|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cardinal think Jesus' appearance will harm humanity?
(a) Jesus' teachings are not true.
(b) Anything Jesus does will be seen as a miracle, and will rob people of their ability to choose to follow him.
(c) Jesus will punish the sinners.
(d) Healing people delays their journey to heaven.
2. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) He asks what she would do if she were him.
(b) He asks how it would be possible to forgive his son's tormentors.
(c) He explains how punishment teachers people to do good.
(d) He says sinners are evil and deserve punishment.
3. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
(a) Upon the return of Jesus.
(b) At the start of WWII.
(c) Before the time of Peter the Great.
(d) At the start of the Spanish Inquisition.
4. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(c) Victor Hugo.
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
(d) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
2. How does the cardinal''s face look?
3. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
4. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
5. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)