|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(b) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(c) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(a) The narrator.
(d) The grand inquisitor.
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(b) He thinks it is very orignal.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
4. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
(a) Gorgeous cardinal's robes.
(b) A funeral suit.
(c) An old monk's cassock.
(d) Uniform of the "holy guard."
5. How does Ivan describe the prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
2. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
3. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
4. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
5. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)