|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
(a) A jury.
(d) The cardinal.
2. What character is speaking when the story begins?
(a) The grand inquisitor.
(b) The narrator.
3. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Training bishops for service.
(b) On a holiday.
(c) Researching scripture.
(d) Presiding over the auto de fe.
4. What does the prisoner do to be recognized by the people?
(a) He walks into a crowd.
(b) He holds out his hands.
(c) He heals a blind man.
(d) He appears unobserved.
5. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is funny.
(b) He thinks it is very orignal.
(c) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
2. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
3. How does Ivan describe the prison?
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
5. Where do the guards take the prisoner?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)