|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
2. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
(a) Fall at his feet.
(b) Crowd around him.
(c) Run away.
(d) Ask him to heal them.
3. What part of the scene in front of the cathedral does the cardinal witness?
(a) A girl coming back to life.
(b) A man's sight being restored.
(c) Jesus appearing.
(d) A man asking to be healed.
4. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) Presiding over the auto de fe.
(b) Training bishops for service.
(c) Researching scripture.
(d) On a holiday.
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) His assistants.
(b) Two princes.
(c) The king.
(d) The bishops.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
2. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
3. How do the people react to the guards seizing the prisoner from their midst?
4. What author's work doesn't Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
5. What does Ivan mean when he says, "fifteen centuries since man has ceased to see signs from heaven"?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)