|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Cool and windy.
(b) Fearful and mysterious.
(c) Burning and breathless.
(d) Silent and shadowy.
2. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(b) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(c) To stop the Inquisition.
(d) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
3. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(b) She wants to save her friends in hell.
(c) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(d) She believes in forgiveness for all.
4. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(a) John the Baptist.
(d) The archangel Michael.
5. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
(a) Preach a sermon.
(b) Demand their obedience.
(c) Explain his actions.
(d) Bless them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
2. Who is Ivan talking about when he says, "He comes on the scene in my poem, but He says nothing, only appears and passes on"?
3. Why was the cardinal wearing different clothes the day before Jesus heals the blind girl?
4. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)