|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hiding the dead girl?
(b) A veil.
(d) The coffin lid.
2. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Gently looks at him.
(b) Kneels gently down.
(c) Puts her hands to her heart.
(d) Throws himself at his feet.
3. Why does Ivan say, "there was nothing left but faith in what the heart doth say."
(a) The population stopped believing in Jesus.
(b) People stopped trusting their feelings.
(c) The population discarded science and replaced it with philosophy.
(d) Without Jesus' physical presence, believer's needed to trust their hearts.
4. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(b) The grand inquisitor.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The devil.
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(b) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
(c) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(d) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
2. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
3. According to Ivan, how does God explain his treatment of sinners in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
4. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
5. What play was performed in the Hotel de Ville of Paris in the reign of Louis XI in honor of the birth of the dauphin?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)