Four Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enter the Grand Inquisitor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A light.
2. How does Ivan describe the night in Seville?
(a) Fearful and mysterious.
(b) Cool and windy.
(c) Silent and shadowy.
(d) Burning and breathless.
3. What does the woman of the dead child do when asking Jesus for help?
(a) Kneels gently down.
(b) Gently looks at him.
(c) Throws himself at his feet.
(d) Puts her hands to her heart.
4. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(b) Jesus is returning as he promised.
(c) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(d) To stop the Inquisition.
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
(a) Yes, but only as a character in literary fiction.
(b) No, just in the hearts and mind of beleivers.
(c) Yes, but only in his story of The Grand Inquistor.
(d) Yes, he visited holy men as recorded in their writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
2. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
3. What is the cardinal's immediate reaction upon witnessing the scene outside the Cathedral?
4. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
5. What do the people do when they first do when they recognize Jesus?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)