|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor add to his stating of the three questions?
(a) More factual details.
(b) Ideas about modern science.
(c) A judgement about of man's nature.
(d) A quotation from scripture.
2. What is a "Literary Preface," in the case of this story?
(a) An introduction referencing stories with similar aspects.
(b) A introduction explaining why the subsequent story is literature.
(c) A preface explaining what literature is.
(d) A well-written introduction.
3. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
(a) She believes in forgiveness for all.
(b) She is shocked at what she sees in hell.
(c) She thinks denial of heaven sufficent punishment.
(d) She wants to save her friends in hell.
4. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is funny.
(b) He thinks it is very orignal.
(c) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
5. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
(a) Because they will not beleive in the church.
(b) Because Jesus can't control them.
(c) They will want Jesus' power.
(d) They will need more food.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Inquisition, who controlled penances?
2. What does the girl do when she comes back to life?
3. What is the cardinal wearing when he witnesses the crowd?
4. What does the grand inquisitor say happened to Jesus?
5. What character is speaking when the story begins?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)