|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ivan, what do the characters Our Lady and God discuss in "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell"?
(a) The history of the world.
(b) Forgiveness for "Our Lady."
(c) The life of Jesus.
(d) Mercy for all those in hell.
2. What does Alyosha ask Ivan about his story?
(a) Asks Ivan why he wrote it.
(b) Asks what inspired it.
(c) He asks him to repeat someting.
(d) Asks him to explain something
3. How does the cardinal think Jesus would hinder his work?
(a) Trying to get him fired.
(b) Focusing religious attention on himself.
(c) Asking him too many questions.
(d) Protesting for religous freedom.
4. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
(a) The end of time.
(b) The wrath of God.
(c) The return of Jesus.
(d) Jesus' eyes.
5. According to the grand inquisitor, what will the be the church's view on freedom?
(a) They will think they are responsible for everyone's freedom.
(b) It will be publicly banned.
(c) They will know they have abolished it.
(d) They will want it for all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
2. What does the Cardinal say would happen if Jesus turned stones into bread?
3. What is the grand inquisitor's manner with Jesus?
4. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
5. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)