|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened at the auto de fe the day before the prisoner is arrested?
(a) The grand inquisitor was not present.
(b) The cardinal condemned burning.
(c) Heretics were burnt.
(d) The king's court did not show up.
2. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(b) A Bible.
(d) A light.
3. How does the crowd respond to the prisoner's arrest?
(a) The try to free him.
(b) They cheer the cardinal.
(c) They bow down to the cardinal.
(d) The protest.
4. Who will finish the new Tower of Babel?
(a) The church.
(b) No one.
(c) The great scientists and thinkers.
5. Why does Ivan say that Jesus appears in his tale?
(a) His tale takes place at "the end of time."
(b) To stop the Inquisition.
(c) To appear for a moment as the people sunk in iniquity.
(d) Jesus is returning as he promised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ivan NOT say was present at the auto de fe the day before?
2. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
3. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
4. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
5. According to Ivan, did Jesus have any physical presence on earth in the 16th Century?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)