|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What century does Ivan's Legend take place in?
(a) 17th century.
(b) 16th century.
(c) 15th century.
(d) 18th century.
2. What is the first thing the visitor does when entering the prisoner's cell?
(a) Gazes at him for a long time.
(b) Introduces himself.
(c) Walks toward him.
(d) Asks him his identity.
3. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) They will protest it.
(b) They will be indifferent.
(c) The will help burn him.
(d) The will reluctantly accept it.
4. What does the prisoner's visitor carry in his hand?
(a) A light.
(c) A Bible.
5. How does the grand inquisitor feel about the questions that Jesus was tempted with?
(a) He thinks they are too hard.
(b) He is confused by them.
(c) He thinks he has better ones.
(d) He thinks they are wise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say the church does that Jesus doesn't?
2. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
4. Why does Ivan say the character "Our Lady" falls before the throne of God and beg?
5. What city does Ivan's story about the Grand Inquisitor take place in?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)