|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say will happen to the new Tower of Babel?
(a) It will crumble.
(b) It won't be finished.
(c) The church will destroy it.
(d) Jesus will finish it.
2. What does Ivan mean when he says, "It was customary in poetry to bring down heavenly powers on earth"?
(a) Writing poems is normal for those with "heavenly powers."
(b) Poetry gives heavenly powers to all listeners.
(c) Poetry makes supernatural power commonplace.
(d) It is common to use religious figures as characters in poetry.
3. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
(a) All who pray.
(b) All who ask him.
(c) All who come in contact with him.
(d) All who he loves.
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
(a) The devil.
(d) St. Peter.
5. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is funny.
(b) He would like to refine it more.
(c) He thinks it is very orignal.
(d) He thinks its one of the best parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cardinal doing the day before the prisoner is arrested?
2. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
3. What does the crowd do after they see Jesus perform healing?
4. Why does the cardinal think people don't want freedom?
5. What does the the grand inquisitor tell Jesus his fate will be the next day?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)