|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the the grand inquisitor want Jesus to add to his teachings?
(a) He doesn't believe in Jesus.
(b) It would undermine the church's authority.
(c) He thinks his old teachings are perfect.
(d) Jesus teachings are not true.
2. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
(a) His assistants.
(b) The bishops.
(c) Two princes.
(d) The king.
3. Why were the "fires lighted" in the Inquisition?
(a) To burn condemned people alive.
(b) To provide light every night for the proceedings.
(c) To warm the court rooms.
(d) To cook feasts given in honor of God.
4. How does Ivan describe the prison?
5. Why does the cardinal think Jesus wouldn't feed the world?
(a) He thinks he is selfish.
(b) He does not think them worthy.
(c) He thinks the must work for their food.
(d) He did not want to buy their obedience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "auto de fe"?
2. What religious historical event, "in the north of Germany" is called, "a terrible new heresy."
3. What is like "lightning flashing from east to west"?
4. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface.
5. What prompts the woman of the dead child to ask Jesus for help?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)