|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor ask the prisoner to judge?
(a) If the cardinal had sinned.
(b) The cardinal's holliness.
(c) If the inquisitor was right to judge him.
(d) If the spirit who questioned him was right.
2. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
(a) So he could accept new ones.
(b) So he could invent better ones.
(c) So he could imagine their recreation.
(d) So he would eventually forget them.
3. What does the inquisitor say people will build?
(a) Food markets for all.
(b) A new Tower of Babel.
(c) A new cathedral.
(d) A better religion.
4. What order does the cardinal give to his guards after witnessing the scene in front of the cathedral?
(a) To arrest a man.
(b) To disperse the crowd.
(c) To order the crowd to be silent.
(d) To protect him.
5. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He would like to refine it more.
(b) He thinks it is funny.
(c) He thinks it is very orignal.
(d) He thinks its one of the best parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the people are silent before him what does the cardinal do?
2. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
3. Besides in the works specifically mentioned, where does Ivan say that Christian religious figures appear?
4. What does the inquisitor say people will destroy?
5. Who is traveling with the cardinal?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)