|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inquisitor say couldn't be clear at the time of the questions?
(a) Their importance.
(b) How they would be answered.
(c) Their prophetic nature.
(d) Their truth.
2. What characters from "The Wanderings of Our Lady through Hell" is NOT referenced in Ivan's "Literary" Preface?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Archangel Michael.
(c) Our Lady.
3. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
(a) He thinks it is very orignal.
(b) He thinks its one of the best parts.
(c) He thinks it is funny.
(d) He would like to refine it more.
4. Why does the inquisitor think people will rise?
(a) Because they will not beleive in the church.
(b) Because Jesus can't control them.
(c) They will want Jesus' power.
(d) They will need more food.
5. Who isn't traveling with the cardinal?
(b) The queen.
(c) The "holy guard."
(d) His assistants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cardinal say earth's thinkers couldn't do?
2. Why does the grand inquisitor ask the prisoner to imagine the questions were forgotten?
3. What author's work does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
4. Who in the crowd does Jesus Heal?
5. When does Ivan say religiously themed plays, chiefly from the Old Testament, stopped being performed in Moscow?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)