|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The First Temptation.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious character used as a character in fiction does Ivan specifically reference in his "Literary" Preface?
(b) The archangel Michael.
(c) John the Baptist.
2. Who is the character mentioned from "Le bon jugement de la tres sainte et gracieuse Vierge Marie," when Ivan references this play?
(a) The devil.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The grand inquisitor.
3. How does the cardinal say Jesus responded to the first question from the spirit?
(a) Ignoring the question.
(b) Saying man lives not by bread alone.
(c) Telling the spirt it is wrong.
(d) Calmly answering no.
4. What does the grand inquisitor think is important about the Jesus' encounter with the spirit?
(a) Jesus' response.
(b) The three questions.
(c) The energy created by it.
(d) The spirit's reaction.
5. What does the grand inquisitor predict will be the crowds reaction to Jesus' punishment?
(a) The will help burn him.
(b) The will reluctantly accept it.
(c) They will be indifferent.
(d) They will protest it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ivan feel about the part in his poem where the prisoner first appears?
2. Why does the inquisitor say the people will allow their tower to be finished?
3. How does the cardinal think the prisoner would hinder his work?
4. Who is the prisoner's visitor?
5. Why does the cardinal think that the church will appear to be gods?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)