|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Po leave with Katsa?
2. Of what does King Leck convince Katsa?
3. What does Po's castle appear to be as they finally approach it from sea?
4. What did Po's mother fear her husband would do?
5. What keeps Katsa from doing anything Leck says?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katsa tell the shopkeeper about why she is there?
2. Why does Katsa begin to teach Bitterblue how to fight and what does she teach her? How does the ship crew help?
3. What happens to Katsa when she hears Leck, and how does Po save them?
4. What happens when Katsa and Bitterblue is taken to the captain's cabin?
5. How is Po when Katsa finds him and what does he say that shocks her?
6. How does Katsa get Bitterblue through the pass?
7. What do the other people in the room do when Katsa kills Leck and what is Bitterblue's response?
8. What is the route Katsa and Bitterblue take out of Monsea, why do they let the horse go and what does Katsa do with the saddle?
9. What does Po need to do now that Bitterblue has told them what happened, what does he leave Katsa and why?
10. What does Po tell Katsa about his attempt on Leck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Graceling" falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know "Graceling" falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout "Graceling".
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout "Graceling".
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout the book.
Trace and analyze the theme of love throughout the story.
Trace and analyze the theme of being a strong and independent woman throughout "Graceling".
Essay Topic 3
Most fantasy novels, and in some sense, most novels, deal with the concept of good and evil. Discuss the following:
1. What are the forces allied with "good" in the world of "Graceling", and what forces are allied with "evil"?
2. How does one distinguish good from evil? How is good distinguished from evil in "Graceling's" world?
3. Is there a universal consensus on what constitutes good or evil? Why or why not?
4. Do you generally agree with the ideas of good and evil in "Graceling"? Why or why not?
5. What are several examples of good and evil in your culture? Do you agree with these ideas? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)