|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Katsa and Bitterblue hiding in Sunder?
2. Where do Katsa and Po go in the Spring?
3. How long does it take to get to Lienid?
4. What does Katsa steal for food?
5. Where does Po remember staying once with Silvern during a blizzard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the other people in the room do when Katsa kills Leck and what is Bitterblue's response?
2. What happens to Katsa when she hears Leck, and how does Po save them?
3. What does Po tell Katsa about his attempt on Leck?
4. How does Katsa figure out that Po is blind, what does she do when she realizes it and what is Po's response?
5. What does Po need to do now that Bitterblue has told them what happened, what does he leave Katsa and why?
6. Why do Po and Katsa separate and when do they plan to see each other again?
7. Who returns to Monsea with Katsa and Bitterblue and why?
8. What does Po say about his blindness and how did he overcome his self-pity?
9. What happens when Katsa and Bitterblue is taken to the captain's cabin?
10. What does Katsa tell the shopkeeper about why she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Graceling" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Graceling"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Graceling" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Po and Leck. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Katsa and Po. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Graceling" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Katsa is surprised to find the Graced Lienid fighter at the court of King Randa. His name is Prince Greening, and Katsa feels his challenge of her. Katsa feels a flash of excitement in looking at the arrogant Prince and has a hard time in dealing with this. With her role in politics, and power, Katsa is used to suppressing her personal feelings.
1. Do you think Prince Greening's challenge of Katsa is chauvinistic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think what Katsa sees as a challenge by Prince Greening might actually be a display of his attraction to her? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think someone in Katsa's position has to suppress her personal feelings? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)