|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of Graced power does Helda's son have?
2. What does Katsa wonder about King Leck?
3. Where are Katsa, Giddon and Oll going at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. Where does Helda work?
5. What does Katsa do to the borderlord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Po want to do after he sees his grandfather, and what does he propose to Katsa?
2. What does Po figure out about Katsa's Grace and about her morals because of the Council?
3. Why does Katsa kill people and what does she decide to do about the kings of the seven kingdoms?
4. What happens when Katsa is summoned to Randa about Ellis?
5. What happens with the guards of the borderlord, and what does he say when he is confronted by Katsa?
6. What does Lord Davit say at dinner the night Katsa meets the fighter, and where does the council meet that night?
7. How do Po and Katsa decide to get to Monsea and what does Katsa wonder about with King Leck?
8. Where do Po and Katsa spend their second night on the road and what upsets Katsa in the common room?
9. What does Katsa hear of the fighter she encountered when leaving the dungeon?
10. What does Po learn about King Leck from the merchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katsa is surprised to find the Graced Lienid fighter at the court of King Randa. His name is Prince Greening, and Katsa feels his challenge of her. Katsa feels a flash of excitement in looking at the arrogant Prince and has a hard time in dealing with this. With her role in politics, and power, Katsa is used to suppressing her personal feelings.
1. Do you think Prince Greening's challenge of Katsa is chauvinistic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think what Katsa sees as a challenge by Prince Greening might actually be a display of his attraction to her? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think someone in Katsa's position has to suppress her personal feelings? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Po and Leck. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Katsa and Po. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Graceling" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
"Graceling" falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know "Graceling" falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)