|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov offer Luka?
2. What does Khlestakov look like?
3. What does Khlestakov address Marya as?
4. Why does Artemy think Luka Lukich should go first?
5. What is the Judge holding in his hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
Essay Topic 2
Compare a character to the person he or she was at the beginning of the play to what he or she is like at the end .
1) What did the character hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2) What events changes the character's ideas about life?
3) How has character changed by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)