|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Judge say he was elected by?
2. Who does the Governor call a damned pack of Jews?
3. Who does Osip's master travel at the expense of?
4. What does Khlestakov address Marya as?
5. What does Khlestakov say Marya should have instead of a chair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a soliloquy? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use soliloquies in his play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
Essay Topic 3
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)