|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov think people call him?
2. Who does Ammos ask to stand by him?
3. What does the Governor say has turned into a queer place?
4. How does Anna say the Inspector spoke?
5. What does Dobchinsky say Anna eats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gogol structure the play? In what way is the play structured differently from other plays? How does the play's structure contribute to the play's themes and humor?
Essay Topic 3
Compare a character to the person he or she was at the beginning of the play to what he or she is like at the end .
1) What did the character hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2) What events changes the character's ideas about life?
3) How has character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)