|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov think people call him?
2. Who do the merchants say they suffer insults from?
3. What do the merchants say the Governor makes people swallow?
4. What does Luka say happens when an official speaks to him?
5. What does Dobchinsky say Anna eats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Russian and western culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)