|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor call the merchants?
2. Who do the merchants say they suffer insults from?
3. What do the merchants say the Governor makes people swallow?
4. What does Luka drop on the floor?
5. What does Khlestakov address Marya as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3The Government Inspector books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following: 1) Plot 2) Character 3) Themes
This section contains 174 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)