|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor say the Inspector General is like when he wears a frock coat?
2. What does Dobchinsky say Marya wears garments of?
3. What does the Governor ask Miska to bring in?
4. What does Khlestakov say is his weakness other than smoking?
5. What does Khlestakov think people call him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
The Government Inspector books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following:
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)