|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Roman emperor does Artemy reference?
2. What does Anna say she saw when she met the Inspector General?
3. What does Khlestakov say is his weakness other than smoking?
4. What do the merchants say the Governor makes people swallow?
5. What does Luka drop on the floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How does Gogol structure the play? In what way is the play structured differently from other plays? How does the play's structure contribute to the play's themes and humor?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)