|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the merchants want from Khlestakov?
2. Who does Ammos say the Inspector General will rage at?
3. What does Khlestakov offer Luka?
4. What does the Governor fill his house with if you contradict him?
5. What does Khlestakov address Marya as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
How does Gogol structure the play? In what way is the play structured differently from other plays? How does the play's structure contribute to the play's themes and humor?
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)