|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Khlestakov describe Marya's neck?
2. What do the merchants say the Governor makes people swallow?
3. What does Osip say they will gallop away like?
4. Where are the sounds of coughing and footsteps coming from?
5. What does Khlestakov say he threw into the official's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's dialogue. How does Gogol's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)