|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor say it is evident the Inspector General is?
2. Who does Marya say Khlestakov speaks like?
3. What does Khlestakov ask Osip to bring him?
4. What does Khlestakov say Marya should have instead of a chair?
5. What does the Governor say has turned into a queer place?
Essay Topic 1
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
What is a soliloquy? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use soliloquies in his play?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)