|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governor take instead of his hat?
2. Who does the Governor say it is his duty to assist?
3. What does Anna call Avdotya?
4. What kind of shop does Khlestakov want to get credit in?
5. What does Governor tell Khlestakov he has come to present?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mayor react when the Chief of Police tells him he is wearing a hat box on his head instead of his hat?
2. What does Klestakov say about his stay so far?
3. Why does the Mayor want to get the Inspector drunk?
4. What do Bobchinsky and Dobchinsky want Khlestakov to do for them?
5. Why are the Merchants angry at the Mayor?
6. How do the Mayor and Anna react to Osip telling them that his master likes to hear that he is treated well?
7. What does the Mayor ask the Postmaster to do?
8. What does Anna order Maria to do?
9. What does the Mayor promise to God?
10. What does the Mayor tell the Merchants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Gogol structure the play? In what way is the play structured differently from other plays? How does the play's structure contribute to the play's themes and humor?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way Gogol uses the other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare a character to the person he or she was at the beginning of the play to what he or she is like at the end .
1) What did the character hope to achieve at the beginning of the play?
2) What events changes the character's ideas about life?
3) How has character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)