|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dress does Marya say she would prefer to wear?
2. What does the governor not want Ivanovich's patients to be doing?
3. What does Khlestakov call the servant?
4. What is Sidor's job?
5. How does Klestakov say he wishes to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
2. What do the officials think is the best way to handle the Inspector?
3. How does Anna try to put down Maria?
4. What does the Mayor's friend suggest?
5. How does the Inspector of Schools show his nervousness?
6. What do Maria and Anna argue about?
7. Why does Khlestakov say he wants to borrow money from the Judge?
8. Why does the Mayor's letter talk about caviar and herring?
9. What does Osip tell Khlestakov about the Landlord?
10. Why does the Mayor panic when he hears the Inspector is already in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Russian and western culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1830s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1830s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)