|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say they they have been waiting on account of?
2. What does Anna call Avdotya?
3. What does Anna say Marya's head is full with?
4. What does Khlestakov say is bliss?
5. What does Khlestakov say was excellent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Khlestakov turn the conversation away from the accusation that he is lying?
2. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
3. What does Osip complain about?
4. Why does Khlestakov say he wants to borrow money from the Judge?
5. Why are the Merchants angry at the Mayor?
6. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
7. How does Khlestakov tease the Inspector of Schools?
8. Summarize the play.
9. What do Maria and Anna argue about?
10. What does the Mayor promise to God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)