Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governor say Derzhimorda should not be so free with?
2. What does Khlestovov think about selling?
3. What does the Servant say is for dinner?
4. What institutions does Khlestakov say he wants to visit?
5. What does the Governor say is his position in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khlestakov refuse the Mayor's offer of better accommodation?
2. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
3. How does the Mayor react when the Chief of Police tells him he is wearing a hat box on his head instead of his hat?
4. Why does the Mayor think other towns are too busy to show people around?
5. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
6. Why are the women angry at the Mayor?
7. What does the Mayor promise to God?
8. What does Khlestakov say he will do if the Mayor will not allow him to marry Maria?
9. What does Khlestakov say in his letter?
10. What does the Inspector of Schools say in an aside about gambling?
Essay Topic 1
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent and how the author adapted it for his play:
1) Life in small Russian towns.
2) The lives of Russian officials.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1830s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1830s Russia?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)