|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say she and Marya must attend to?
2. What does the Governor say they will drink after lunch?
3. What newspaper does the Postmaster say some letters are more edifying than?
4. What does Khlestakov say is bliss?
5. What does Klestakov say he will turn into if he does not eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
2. Why does Khlestakov want Osip to bring him a pen and paper?
3. Why are the Merchants angry at the Mayor?
4. What does Khlestakov brag to the women about?
5. Why does everyone run out of the Mayor's house so quickly?
6. What does the Inspector of Schools say in an aside about gambling?
7. What does Khlestakov say he will do if the Mayor will not allow him to marry Maria?
8. Why does Osip want to leave town?
9. How does Khlestakov react when Osip tells him the Mayor has arrived?
10. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)