|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Osip say he does not need?
2. What does Khlestovov think about selling?
3. What does the Governor say he was dreaming of the night before?
4. What does Khlestakov call the servant?
5. What does Dobchinsky address Anna as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mayor give Khlestakov 400 rubles?
2. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
3. What does Khlestakov tell Anna?
4. How do the Mayor and Anna react to Osip telling them that his master likes to hear that he is treated well?
5. Why does the Mayor think other towns are too busy to show people around?
6. What does Osip tell Khlestakov about the Landlord?
7. Why does everyone run out of the Mayor's house so quickly?
8. How does the Mayor react when the Chief of Police tells him he is wearing a hat box on his head instead of his hat?
9. What does Khlestakov think about the food?
10. What does the Mayor's friend suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Russian and western culture.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
Essay Topic 3
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)