|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dobchinsky say the Inspector General talks like?
2. Where does the captain say he just was?
3. What does the Governor say he does not crave?
4. Who does Anna say is smitten by Marya?
5. What country does the Postmaster think Russia will go to war with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
2. How did Khlestakov lose all of his money?
3. Why does Anna think Maria is to blame?
4. What does the Mayor promise to God?
5. How do the Merchants react to the Mayor's anger?
6. How does the Mayor decide to proceed?
7. How does Khlestakov react when Maria tells him he has gone too far?
8. What food does Mishka have available for Osip?
9. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
10. Why does the Mayor say Anna should be ashamed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the way Gogol uses the other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1830s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1830s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)