|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sidor's job?
2. What does Anna say she and Marya must attend to?
3. What does the Servant say is for dinner?
4. What does the Governor say Bobchinsky is sprawling like?
5. How is Marya related to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Chief of Police and the Mayor talk about?
2. What does Khlestakov say in his letter?
3. What does Osip complain about?
4. Why do the officials leave the house?
5. Why are the women angry at the Mayor?
6. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
7. How do the Merchants react to the Mayor's anger?
8. How do the Mayor and Khlestakov greet each other?
9. How do the Mayor and Anna react to Osip telling them that his master likes to hear that he is treated well?
10. Why does Khlestakov want Osip to bring him a pen and paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
Essay Topic 2
The Government Inspector books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
In 1952, THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR was made into a film called REVIZOR. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book aree still relevant 100 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)