|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov say the beef is as hard as?
2. Who is the landlord going to make a complaint to?
3. What kind of shop does Khlestakov want to get credit in?
4. Where does Khlestakov say he was dissipated?
5. What does Khlestakov ask the Governor to give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does everyone run out of the Mayor's house so quickly?
2. Why does Khlestakov want Osip to bring him a pen and paper?
3. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
4. Why does the Mayor want to get the Inspector drunk?
5. Why does Khlestakov refuse the Mayor's offer of better accommodation?
6. Summarize the play.
7. How do the Mayor and Anna react to Osip telling them that his master likes to hear that he is treated well?
8. What does Khlestakov think about the food?
9. Why does Khlestakov say he is traveling?
10. What does Khlestakov tell Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent and how the author adapted it for his play:
1) Life in small Russian towns.
2) The lives of Russian officials.
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)