|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Osip say the servants are bringing up?
2. What does Dobchinsky say the Inspector General talks like?
3. What does Khlestakov call the servant?
4. What have the attendants turned the entrance hall into?
5. What does the governor say the patients look as grimy as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Khlestakov react when Osip tells him the Mayor has arrived?
2. What does Khlestakov say in his letter?
3. How does Anna try to put down Maria?
4. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
5. Why does Anna think Maria is to blame?
6. Why are the women angry at the Mayor?
7. How does Dobchinsky describe the inspector?
8. How does the Mayor react to the letter?
9. How does Khlestakov turn the conversation away from the accusation that he is lying?
10. Why does the Mayor panic when he hears the Inspector is already in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's reception in three different countries including the country in which the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The Government Inspector books greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities with the play in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)