|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Klestakov have his lunch?
2. What does Anna wave at the short man?
3. Why does the governor say he has called everyone together?
4. What color wallpaper will the Inspector General's room have?
5. What does the governor say the patients look as grimy as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Osip want to leave town?
2. What does Khlestakov say he will do if the Mayor will not allow him to marry Maria?
3. Why does the Mayor say Anna should be ashamed?
4. Why does the Mayor give Khlestakov 400 rubles?
5. What is Osip's opinion of his master, Khlestakov?
6. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
7. What does the Mayor ask the Postmaster to do?
8. How does the Mayor react when the Chief of Police tells him he is wearing a hat box on his head instead of his hat?
9. Why are the women angry at the Mayor?
10. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
Essay Topic 2
In 1952, THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR was made into a film called REVIZOR. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book aree still relevant 100 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following:
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)