|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Governor say it is his duty to assist?
2. What does Osip say he could eat up?
3. Where is the Inspector General from?
4. What does the General say he once made for his children?
5. Why does Ammos think the government has sent the Inspector General?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mayor want to get the Inspector drunk?
2. What does the Mayor's friend suggest?
3. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
4. Why does Anna think Maria is to blame?
5. What do Anna and the Mayor fantasize about doing when their daughter marries the Inspector?
6. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
7. Why does the Mayor say Anna should be ashamed?
8. What do Anna and Maria argue about?
9. What does Osip tell Khlestakov about the Landlord?
10. What do the Chief of Police and the Mayor talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's dialogue. How does Gogol's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)