|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dobchinsky address Anna as?
2. What does the Governor say Russian Maderia can do?
3. What does the Governor ask Khlestakov if he wants to do?
4. What does Klestakov say he will turn into if he does not eat?
5. What is Luka Lukich an inspector of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the officials leave the house?
2. What do the officials think is the best way to handle the Inspector?
3. How does the Mayor decide to proceed?
4. What is Osip's opinion of his master, Khlestakov?
5. Summarize the play.
6. Why does the Mayor panic when he hears the Inspector is already in town?
7. Why does Osip want to leave town?
8. How do the Mayor and Khlestakov greet each other?
9. What does Anna order Maria to do?
10. Why does Khlestakov refuse the Mayor's offer of better accommodation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does Gogol's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1830s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1830s Russia?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)