Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governor say Derzhimorda should not be so free with?
2. What does Khlestovov think about selling?
3. What does the Servant say is for dinner?
4. What institutions does Khlestakov say he wants to visit?
5. What does the Governor say is his position in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khlestakov refuse the Mayor's offer of better accommodation?
2. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
3. How does the Mayor react when the Chief of Police tells him he is wearing a hat box on his head instead of his hat?
4. Why does the Mayor think other towns are too busy to show people around?
5. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
6. Why are the women angry at the Mayor?
7. What does the Mayor promise to God?
8. What does Khlestakov say he will do if the Mayor will not allow him to marry Maria?
9. What does Khlestakov say in his letter?
10. What does the Inspector of Schools say in an aside about gambling?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the way Gogol uses the other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)