|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the governor say the patients look as grimy as?
2. What did the Captain send Sergeant Pugovichyn to do?
3. What dress does Marya say she would prefer to wear?
4. Where did Klestakov have his lunch?
5. What does Anna wave at the short man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khlestakov say he wants to borrow money from the Judge?
2. How does the Warden think they should handle the Inspector?
3. What does Khlestakov say he will do if the Mayor will not allow him to marry Maria?
4. Why does Khlestakov say he is traveling?
5. How does Khlestakov tease the Inspector of Schools?
6. How did Khlestakov lose all of his money?
7. Why does the Mayor say Anna should be ashamed?
8. What story do Dobchinksky and Bobchinsky tell?
9. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
10. Why does the Mayor panic when he hears the Inspector is already in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following: 1) Language 2) Character 3) Structure
Essay Topic 2In 1952, THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR was made into a film called REVIZOR. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book aree still relevant 100 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3Discuss Gogol's life and career. What else did Gogol write and what similarities does his other work share with the Government Inspector? In what way are his life and personality reflected in his work?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)