|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say they they have been waiting on account of?
2. What does Osip say he does not need?
3. What does the Servant say is for dinner?
4. What does the Governor ask is ready?
5. What world does Khlestakov say he is accustomed to living in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Khlestakov brag to the women about?
2. What does Osip complain about?
3. Why does the Mayor want to get the Inspector drunk?
4. How do the Merchants react to the Mayor's anger?
5. What does the Mayor's friend suggest?
6. What does Anna order Maria to do?
7. How does Dobchinsky describe the inspector?
8. What do Anna and Maria argue about?
9. How does the Mayor react to the letter?
10. Why are the Merchants angry at the Mayor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way Gogol uses the other characters in the play. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)