|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color wallpaper will the Inspector General's room have?
2. What does the Governor say Bobchinsky is sprawling like?
3. What is Ivan Kuzmich's position?
4. How is Marya related to Anna?
5. What is Luka Lukich an inspector of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does everyone run out of the Mayor's house so quickly?
2. Why does Osip want to leave town?
3. Why is Anna angry with Maria?
4. How did Khlestakov lose all of his money?
5. What does Klestakov say about his stay so far?
6. What does Osip tell Khlestakov about the Landlord?
7. How does Khlestakov tease the Inspector of Schools?
8. How did the Postmaster find out "the inspector" is not an Inspector after all?
9. What does Osip complain about?
10. Why does the Mayor give Khlestakov 400 rubles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a soliloquy? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use soliloquies in his play?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent and how the author adapted it for his play:
1) Life in small Russian towns.
2) The lives of Russian officials.
Essay Topic 3
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)