|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov say was excellent?
2. What does Dobchinsky say the Inspector General talks like?
3. What does Anna say she has to do before she leaves?
4. Where does Khlestakov think the Governor wants to take him?
5. What does the governor not want Ivanovich's patients to be doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mayor excuse his behavior?
2. Why are the Merchants angry at the Mayor?
3. How does the Warden think they should handle the Inspector?
4. Why does Khlestakov want Osip to bring him a pen and paper?
5. How do the Mayor and Khlestakov greet each other?
6. How does Khlestakov react when Osip tells him the Mayor has arrived?
7. What food does Mishka have available for Osip?
8. How does Dobchinsky describe the inspector?
9. What does Khlestakov think about the food?
10. How does Khlestakov tease the Inspector of Schools?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is a satire.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
In what way did the the play help to set the template for similar satires? Does modern literature still use the ideas Gogol uses in THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1830s? How does Gogol express these concerns?
2) How would the author have to change the play if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)