|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna say Khlestakov must have found unpleasant?
2. Where did Klestakov have his lunch?
3. Who is the landlord going to make a complaint to?
4. What does the Governor say is his position in town?
5. Who does the assessor say struck him as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Maria and Anna argue about?
2. What does Anna order Maria to do?
3. What do Bobchinsky and Dobchinsky want Khlestakov to do for them?
4. What does the Mayor's friend suggest?
5. Why does the Mayor want to get the Inspector drunk?
6. What does Khlestakov tell Anna?
7. Why does the Mayor give Khlestakov 400 rubles?
8. How does the Mayor decide to proceed?
9. Why does Anna think Maria is to blame?
10. How does Khlestakov turn the conversation away from the accusation that he is lying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Gogol use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
Essay Topic 3
THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)