|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khlestakov call Osip?
2. What does Khlestakov say was excellent?
3. What does Khlestakov say the beef is as hard as?
4. What was the name of the fish they ate for dinner?
5. What does the Governor say Russian Maderia can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Khlestakov lose all of his money?
2. How does the Judge react when he overhears the Mayor telling the Postmaster to steam open letters?
3. Why does the Mayor's letter talk about caviar and herring?
4. Why do the officials leave the house?
5. What does Klestakov say about his stay so far?
6. Why does everyone run out of the Mayor's house so quickly?
7. How does Khlestakov turn the conversation away from the accusation that he is lying?
8. Why does Khlestakov say he is traveling?
9. Why does the Mayor say Anna should be ashamed?
10. How does the Mayor defend himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1830s.
1) In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2) How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1830s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
What is an aside? When and why is it used? How does Gogol use asides in his play? How is an aside different from a soliloquy?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)