|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
2. What did Elizabeth's aunt say God would do to her soon enough?
3. Why does Elizabeth say she started sleeping with Richard in New York?
4. What city did Esther send Gabriel a letter from?
5. Why did Gabriel steal money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between the north and the south? Why have so many of the novel's characters moved from the south to the north?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)