|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elizabeth work as on Wall Street?
2. Which of the following events happened when Elizabeth was 8?
3. What shift did Elizabeth work at the Wall Street offices?
4. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
5. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)