|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
2. Who does Gabriel remember watching him through dying eyes?
3. Who told Gabriel that Royal had died?
4. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
5. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the connections between African Americans and Christianity. Why do the students think African Americans embraced Christianity so readily? How did Christianity help African Americans gain more rights? In what way did African Americans use Christianity as a political force?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)