|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important event happened in Gabriel life at the age of 22?
2. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
3. Who does Elizabeth say she hated as a child?
4. What was the name of Gabriel's first son?
5. What does Gabriel see in John's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the differences between the north and the south? Why have so many of the novel's characters moved from the south to the north?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)