|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roy's first name in full?
2. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
3. Why did Elizabeth think that Gabriel would make a strong father?
4. Why did Gabriel steal money?
5. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Examine John's relationship with the following people: 1) Elisha. 2) Gabriel. 3) Elizabeth.
Essay Topic 2Look at the structure of the book. 1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas? 2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
Essay Topic 3Examine the Baptist Church. 1) How does the Baptist Church version of Christianity differ form other denominations versions of Christianity. 2) Why is baptism so closely linked to African Americans.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)