|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room in the white people's house did Gabriel first make love to Esther?
2. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
3. What does Gabriel command John to do?
4. Who is the son that God promised Gabriel in a dream?
5. Who does Gabriel remember watching him through dying eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the American public and critics react to the Go Tell It on the Mountain when it was first released? How would people react to the novel if it was released today?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)