|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Esther send Gabriel a letter from?
2. Which of the following events happened when Elizabeth was 8?
3. What does Elizabeth recall as a frightening experience?
4. Why did Gabriel steal money?
5. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Baptist Church.
1) How does the Baptist Church version of Christianity differ form other denominations versions of Christianity.
2) Why is baptism so closely linked to African Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Go Tell It on the Mountains is said to be a semi-biographical account of Baldwin's life. What similarities does the novel have with Baldwin's life? What character is most like Baldwin and why? What details has Baldwin changed about his life and why did he change these details?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)