|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
2. Why does Gabriel not want John to come under the power of the lord?
3. Why could Elizabeth not leave Richard?
4. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
5. What did Richard work as?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)