|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gabriel see in John's eyes?
2. Which of the following does Elizabeth use to describe her relationship with Gabriel?
3. Who is the only man Elizabeth has truly loved?
4. Where was Richard waiting when he was arrested?
5. Who did Elizabeth meet in 1919?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)