|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elizabeth describe Richard?
2. What is Roy's first name in full?
3. Why did Elizabeth think that Gabriel would make a strong father?
4. How does Gabriel think he has made amends for his sin?
5. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of white people in the book. Why does Baldwin not represent white people in his novel? What affect does this have on the readers perception of white people during this time?
Essay Topic 2
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)