|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will bring her back to?
2. Whose forehead does Gabriel want to crush?
3. What part of New York did Elizabeth meet Florence?
4. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
5. What important event happened in Gabriel life at the age of 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine John's relationship with the following people:
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)