|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Elizabeth use to describe her relationship with Gabriel?
2. Who is the son that God promised Gabriel in a dream?
3. Why did Gabriel steal money?
4. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
5. How does Elizabeth describe Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the connections between African Americans and Christianity. Why do the students think African Americans embraced Christianity so readily? How did Christianity help African Americans gain more rights? In what way did African Americans use Christianity as a political force?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)