|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Gabriel first become a well known preacher?
2. What does Gabriel say he gained recognition for after he found God?
3. Whose forehead does Gabriel want to crush?
4. Why does Elizabeth say she started sleeping with Richard in New York?
5. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
How did the American public and critics react to the Go Tell It on the Mountain when it was first released? How would people react to the novel if it was released today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)