|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What person in her life does Florence hate?
2. What part of New york does John live in?
3. What kind of black person does Florence claim to hate?
4. What kind of boy did Gabriel become?
5. What does Florence say her mother used to tell stories about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John's mother react to John being saved?
2. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
3. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
4. Why did Florence grow to resent her mother and hate her brother?
5. What convinced Florence to move north?
6. How does John's family separate as they walk with the family back home?
7. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
8. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
9. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
10. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of homosexuality. How does Baldwin express the theme homosexuality in the book? How does John's feeling towards men affect him? Does John use religion to hide behind his feeling towards men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)