|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
2. What chore does John have to do at the church?
3. Where does Aunt Florence say the young woman that stands by Gabriel's side now is?
4. What does Gabriel say Roy's cut signifies?
5. Whose presence at church surprises John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
2. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. Why did Elizabeth initially like Gabriel?
5. Describe the John's upbringing.
6. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
7. How does John react to Gabriel's severe remarks?
8. Why does Florence keep Deborah's letter in her purse?
9. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
10. What convinced Florence to move north?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of homosexuality. How does Baldwin express the theme homosexuality in the book? How does John's feeling towards men affect him? Does John use religion to hide behind his feeling towards men?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine John's relationship with the following people:
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)