|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrow path promise?
2. What is the name of Gabriel's sister?
3. Where does Florence keep the letter from Deborah?
4. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
5. What does Florence remember talking about with Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Esther in when she moved away?
2. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
3. Why was Richard arrested?
4. What is John's attitude towards religion?
5. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
6. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
7. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
8. How does John fall into a fit?
9. What sound does John say he hears?
10. What did Gabriel use to say in his sermons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of white people in the book. Why does Baldwin not represent white people in his novel? What affect does this have on the readers perception of white people during this time?
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between the north and the south? Why have so many of the novel's characters moved from the south to the north?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)