|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Roy been injured by?
2. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
3. What color does Florence's husband say is pretty?
4. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
5. What does Florence remember talking about with Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
2. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
3. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
4. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
5. What is John's attitude towards religion?
6. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
7. Summarize the final chapter.
8. What bible passages did Florence's mother like to repeat?
9. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
10. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for Richard's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Baptist Church.
1) How does the Baptist Church version of Christianity differ form other denominations versions of Christianity.
2) Why is baptism so closely linked to African Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)