Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
8. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
9. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
10. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
Examine the connections between African Americans and Christianity. Why do the students think African Americans embraced Christianity so readily? How did Christianity help African Americans gain more rights? In what way did African Americans use Christianity as a political force?
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Discuss the values of 1930s.
1) Why was religion so important to black people?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1930s America?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)