|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roy's mother say her husband is trying to keep Roy away from?
2. What would Frank do after an argument with Florence?
3. What does John's mother give him for his birthday?
4. What kind of black person does Florence claim to hate?
5. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
2. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
3. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
4. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
5. How does John react to Gabriel's severe remarks?
6. Why is John denied such pleasures as dancing?
7. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
8. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
9. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
10. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
Essay Topic 2
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1930s.
1) Why was religion so important to black people?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1930s America?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)