|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence claim she uses for her husband's sake?
2. Whose presence at church surprises John?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. What does Florence think Gabriel will do over her grave?
5. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound does John say he hears?
2. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
3. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
4. How did Gabriel try to get Esther out of his life when she fell pregnant?
5. How does John's mother react to John being saved?
6. Why was Richard arrested?
7. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
8. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
9. Why is John denied such pleasures as dancing?
10. Summarize the final chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. Identify how does Baldwin's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1930s.
1) Why was religion so important to black people?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1930s America?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)