|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence say Frank was extravagant with?
2. Who raped Deborah?
3. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
4. Who does Gabriel blame for Roy's wild ways?
5. How does Gabriel try to control Roy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gabriel spend most of his time doing as a young man?
2. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
3. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
4. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
5. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
6. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
7. What happened to Elizabeth when she was eight years old?
8. What does Florence regret about her relationship with Frank?
9. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
10. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of homosexuality. How does Baldwin express the theme homosexuality in the book? How does John's feeling towards men affect him? Does John use religion to hide behind his feeling towards men?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)