|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence say Frank was extravagant with?
2. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
3. What did Deborah suspect Gabriel had?
4. What does Florence think Gabriel will do over her grave?
5. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
2. What did Elizabeth love about Richard?
3. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
4. How does John's mother react to John being saved?
5. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
6. Why does Gabriel like Deborah?
7. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
8. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
9. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
10. How does John's family separate as they walk with the family back home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. Identify how does Baldwin's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)