|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
2. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
3. What did Deborah suspect Gabriel had?
4. Who freed Florence's mother from slavery?
5. What has lead Florence to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
2. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
3. What happened to Esther in when she moved away?
4. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
5. What sound does John say he hears?
6. What does John see as he walks to church?
7. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
8. What convinced Florence to move north?
9. Why does Gabriel like Deborah?
10. Why does Florence keep Deborah's letter in her purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Baptist Church.
1) How does the Baptist Church version of Christianity differ form other denominations versions of Christianity.
2) Why is baptism so closely linked to African Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)