Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
8. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
9. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
10. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
What are the differences between the north and the south? Why have so many of the novel's characters moved from the south to the north?
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)