|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gabriel say Roy's cut signifies?
2. What does John's mother give him for his birthday?
3. What does John excel at?
4. Who do Roy and his gang try to pick a fight with?
5. Who does Gabriel blame for Roy's wild ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for Richard's death?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
4. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
5. What did Elizabeth love about Richard?
6. How does John react to Gabriel's severe remarks?
7. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
8. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
9. What sound does John say he hears?
10. Why did Elizabeth initially like Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. Identify how does Baldwin's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)