|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raped Deborah?
2. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
3. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
4. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
5. Who argues with John's mother in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Florence visit the church?
2. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
3. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
4. What does Florence regret about her relationship with Frank?
5. Summarize the final chapter.
6. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
7. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
8. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
9. What did Florence not like about Frank?
10. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine John's relationship with the following people:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)