|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Florence denied by her mother?
2. What does John excel at?
3. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
4. What does Florence say Frank was extravagant with?
5. Who does Florence think rejoices in her presence at church?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
2. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
3. What happened to Esther in when she moved away?
4. Why does Gabriel like Deborah?
5. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
6. Describe the John's upbringing.
7. How did Gabriel try to get Esther out of his life when she fell pregnant?
8. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
9. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
10. How does Gabriel react if one of his children goes against the church's moral code?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)