|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of John's family does not enter the church?
2. Who does Gabriel blame for Roy's wild ways?
3. What does John mean by saying he has sinned his hand?
4. What does Florence's mother say is the way to pray?
5. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elizabeth love about Richard?
2. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
3. What sound does John say he hears?
4. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
5. What does John see as he walks to church?
6. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
7. Why does Florence keep Deborah's letter in her purse?
8. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
9. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
10. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for Richard's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of white people in the book. Why does Baldwin not represent white people in his novel? What affect does this have on the readers perception of white people during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)