|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florence claim she uses for her husband's sake?
2. What was Florence denied by her mother?
3. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
4. What does John's father call white people?
5. What does Gabriel say Roy's cut signifies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel react if one of his children goes against the church's moral code?
2. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
3. What influence does Gabriel have on John's life?
4. Describe the John's upbringing.
5. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. Why does Elizabeth blame herself for Richard's death?
8. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
9. What is John's attitude towards religion?
10. How does John fall into a fit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the connections between African Americans and Christianity. Why do the students think African Americans embraced Christianity so readily? How did Christianity help African Americans gain more rights? In what way did African Americans use Christianity as a political force?
Essay Topic 3
Go Tell It on the Mountains is said to be a semi-biographical account of Baldwin's life. What similarities does the novel have with Baldwin's life? What character is most like Baldwin and why? What details has Baldwin changed about his life and why did he change these details?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)