|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose presence at church surprises John?
2. What does Florence say her mother used to tell stories about?
3. Where does Florence keep the letter from Deborah?
4. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
5. Where do the family keep the photographs in the front room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
2. What happened to Esther in when she moved away?
3. What did Gabriel use to say in his sermons?
4. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
5. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
6. Why does Florence visit the church?
7. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
8. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
9. What is John's attitude towards religion?
10. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go Tell It on the Mountains is said to be a semi-biographical account of Baldwin's life. What similarities does the novel have with Baldwin's life? What character is most like Baldwin and why? What details has Baldwin changed about his life and why did he change these details?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Baldwin use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of white people in the book. Why does Baldwin not represent white people in his novel? What affect does this have on the readers perception of white people during this time?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)