|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do John's family forget to acknowledge at breakfast?
2. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
3. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
4. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Florence's mother say is the way to pray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
3. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
4. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
5. What happened to Elizabeth when she was eight years old?
6. What convinced Florence to move north?
7. How did Gabriel try to get Esther out of his life when she fell pregnant?
8. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
9. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
10. Summarize part 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1930s.
1) Why was religion so important to black people?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1930s America?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)