|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
8. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
9. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
10. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of homosexuality. How does Baldwin express the theme homosexuality in the book? How does John's feeling towards men affect him? Does John use religion to hide behind his feeling towards men?
Essay Topic 3
Examine John's relationship with the following people:
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)