Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
8. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
9. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
10. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Baldwin's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?In what ways is he like or unlike the main character John?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
Essay Topic 3
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)