|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does John admire?
2. What part of New york does John live in?
3. What does John's mother give him for his birthday?
4. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
5. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound does John say he hears?
2. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
3. Why does Florence keep Deborah's letter in her purse?
4. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
5. What convinced Florence to move north?
6. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
7. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
8. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
9. What was Gabriel's life like in the south?
10. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)