|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gabriel say Roy's cut signifies?
2. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
3. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
4. What chore does John have to do at the church?
5. What part of New york does John live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
2. What bible passages did Florence's mother like to repeat?
3. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
4. Why did Florence grow to resent her mother and hate her brother?
5. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
6. What happened to Esther in when she moved away?
7. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
8. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
9. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
10. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)