Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
3. What has lead Florence to church?
4. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
2. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
3. What kind of life did Elizabeth initially have in New York?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
7. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
8. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
9. What was Richard like when Elizabeth first met him?
10. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)