|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gabriel's sister?
2. Who does Florence say she has seen waiting for her?
3. What did Frank like to do excessively?
4. Where does Florence keep the letter from Deborah?
5. What does Florence think tonight might be the time to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
2. What did Florence not like about Frank?
3. How does John fall into a fit?
4. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
5. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
6. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
7. What did Gabriel spend most of his time doing as a young man?
8. How does John's family separate as they walk with the family back home?
9. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
10. What did Elizabeth love about Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the connections between African Americans and Christianity. Why do the students think African Americans embraced Christianity so readily? How did Christianity help African Americans gain more rights? In what way did African Americans use Christianity as a political force?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the affects of slavery. How did slavery affect the characters in the book? In what way was someone like John affected differently by slavery than someone like Gabriel? How does the memory of slavery affect African Americans today?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)