|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Florence's husband say is pretty?
2. What did Deborah suspect Gabriel had?
3. What is the name of the church the Grimes family are involved in?
4. What has Roy been injured by?
5. What has lead Florence to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John react to Gabriel's severe remarks?
2. What does John see as he walks to church?
3. Summarize the final chapter.
4. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
5. What does John sense about his father's feelings in this section?
6. Why was Richard arrested?
7. Why did Elizabeth initially like Gabriel?
8. What convinced Florence to move north?
9. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
10. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1930s.
1) Why was religion so important to black people?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does today's society share any values with 1930s America?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)