|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Florence say the young woman that stands by Gabriel's side now is?
2. What is John worried about as he enters the movie theater?
3. Whose presence at church surprises John?
4. What chore does John have to do at the church?
5. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinced Florence to move north?
2. Why is John denied such pleasures as dancing?
3. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
4. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
5. Why does Gabriel like Deborah?
6. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
7. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
8. How did Gabriel become the star of a religious conference in Chicago?
9. Describe the John's upbringing.
10. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of white people in the book. Why does Baldwin not represent white people in his novel? What affect does this have on the readers perception of white people during this time?
Essay Topic 2
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
Essay Topic 3
How did the American public and critics react to the Go Tell It on the Mountain when it was first released? How would people react to the novel if it was released today?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)