|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Florence say the young woman that stands by Gabriel's side now is?
2. Who do Roy and his gang try to pick a fight with?
3. What did Frank like to do excessively?
4. Who raped Deborah?
5. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
2. What does John sense about his father's feelings in this section?
3. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
4. What happened to Elizabeth when she was eight years old?
5. How does John fall into a fit?
6. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
7. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
8. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
9. Summarize part 1.
10. What sound does John say he hears?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 2
Go Tell It on the Mountain is written in the third person. Why do you think Baldwin chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
How was thirties Harlem different to the Harlem today? Why did Harlem become such a hotbed for political activism and musicians? Was it the same in any other black ghetto areas in the states or is Harlem unique?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)