|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Elisha play?
2. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
3. What does John mean by saying he has sinned his hand?
4. What kind of black person does Florence claim to hate?
5. Who do Roy and his gang try to pick a fight with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
2. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
3. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
4. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
5. Why is John denied such pleasures as dancing?
6. Why does Florence visit the church?
7. Summarize part 1.
8. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
9. What does John see as he walks to church?
10. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine John's relationship with the following people:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of homosexuality. How does Baldwin express the theme homosexuality in the book? How does John's feeling towards men affect him? Does John use religion to hide behind his feeling towards men?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Away from the main characters examine the way Baldwin uses the other people in the story to express his point of view.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)