|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Deborah suspect Gabriel had?
2. What person in her life does Florence hate?
3. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
4. What does John mean by saying he has sinned his hand?
5. What kind of black person does Florence claim to hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elizabeth's upbringing like with her aunt?
2. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
3. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
4. Why did Elizabeth not tell Richard she was pregnant?
5. Summarize the final chapter.
6. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
7. Hoe does Florence stun Gabriel?
8. Why did Florence grow to resent her mother and hate her brother?
9. What bible passages did Florence's mother like to repeat?
10. What convinced Florence to move north?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Gabriel and Elizabeth.
1) In what ways are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why do you think they cannot sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
This section contains 1,379 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)