|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John worried about as he enters the movie theater?
2. What is the name of the church the Grimes family are involved in?
3. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
4. What does John excel at?
5. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
2. Why does Gabriel like Deborah?
3. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
4. How did Gabriel treat Deborah?
5. What was Gabriel's life like in the south?
6. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
7. What bible passages did Florence's mother like to repeat?
8. Summarize Go Tell It to The Mountain.
9. Why did Elizabeth not tell Richard she was pregnant?
10. What reason does Florence give for her mother being religious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Baldwin's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Baldwin's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s. How does Baldwin express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)