|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
(a) Left home
(b) Killed her
(c) Cared for her
2. What does Gabriel use to whip Roy?
(a) A towel
(b) A belt
(c) A switch
(d) A rope
3. What park does John go to in this section?
(a) Central Park
(b) Hyde Park
(c) South Park
(d) Regent's Park
4. How does Gabriel try to control Roy?
(a) By whipping him
(b) By locking him in his room
(c) By forcing him to church
(d) By sending him to work in poor areas
5. What has lead Florence to church?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's father call white people?
2. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
3. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
4. What does Florence think tonight might be the time to do?
5. Who used to try and persuade Florence to go to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
2. What is John's attitude towards religion?
3. What reason does Baldwin suggest Gabriel believes in God?
4. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
5. Why did Elizabeth initially like Gabriel?
6. In what way are John and Roy completely different characters?
7. In what way do Florence and Gabriel's ideas differ about God?
8. What happened to Elizabeth when she was eight years old?
9. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
10. How does John's family separate as they walk with the family back home?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)