|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the church the Grimes family are involved in?
(a) The Temple of Doom
(b) The Temple of the Hope and Glory
(c) The Temple of the Fire Baptized
(d) The Temple of the Spirit
2. What war did Frank die in?
(a) Vietnam War
(b) The Boer War
(c) Second World War
(d) First World War
3. Where did Florence move to in 1900?
(b) The north
(d) South America
4. What part of New york does John live in?
(d) The Bronx
5. How does Gabriel try to control Roy?
(a) By sending him to work in poor areas
(b) By whipping him
(c) By locking him in his room
(d) By forcing him to church
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth say to defend her husband to Roy?
2. What does Florence claim she uses for her husband's sake?
3. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
4. What was John the first member of his family to do?
5. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
2. Summarize part 1.
3. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
4. Why does John think God will punish him for his sins?
5. What brings Elizabeth out of her thoughts?
6. Why was Florence and her family so frightened by Deborah's father's attack on the white men?
7. What happened to Elizabeth when she was eight years old?
8. What does John sense about his father's feelings in this section?
9. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
10. What does the reader learn about John and Gabriel's relationship in this chapter?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)