|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth say to defend her husband to Roy?
(a) He has had a hard life
(b) He is not a happy man
(c) He wants Roy to enjoy life
(d) He knows what is right for Roy's soul
2. What do John's family forget to acknowledge at breakfast?
(a) John's name day
(b) John's new clothes
(c) John's new haircut
(d) John's birthday
3. What do Roy and his mother argue about?
4. What chore does John have to do at the church?
(a) Wash the windows
(b) Polish the ornaments
(c) Sweep the floor
(d) Tidy the tea room
5. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
(a) John Grimes
(b) Gabriel Grimes
(c) Elizabeth Grimes
(d) Roy Grimes
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
2. Who does Florence say she has seen waiting for her?
3. What country did Frank die in?
4. What does Florence say Frank was extravagant with?
5. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
2. Why does Gabriel marry Deborah?
3. How did Gabriel and Florence's mother react when she left for New York?
4. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
5. Why is John denied such pleasures as dancing?
6. Why did Elizabeth not tell Richard she was pregnant?
7. What does John think about his mother and father's relationship?
8. How does Gabriel think God can help Elizabeth?
9. What sound does John say he hears?
10. How did Gabriel try to get Esther out of his life when she fell pregnant?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)