|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
(a) She forced him to go to church
(b) She beat him
(c) She sent him to New York
(d) She sent him to boarding school
2. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
3. How does Gabriel try to control Roy?
(a) By whipping him
(b) By forcing him to church
(c) By sending him to work in poor areas
(d) By locking him in his room
4. Who raped Deborah?
(b) A preacher
(c) A group of white men
(d) A group of black men
5. What happened when Deborah's father threatened one of the white men that raped his daughter?
(a) He was burned to death
(b) He was forced to leave the town
(c) He was beaten and left for dead
(d) He was jailed
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Roy and his gang try to pick a fight with?
2. What person in her life does Florence hate?
3. What kind of boy did Gabriel become?
4. What city did Frank and Florence live in?
5. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel react to John being saved?
2. What happened when Deborah's father threatened a white man?
3. Why is Gabriel's past important to John?
4. What did Gabriel spend most of his time doing as a young man?
5. How did Elizabeth meet Gabriel?
6. Why did Florence's mother religious zealotry wear her down?
7. What happens to Esther and Gabriel's son Royal?
8. How did Gabriel react when he heard one of the preachers joke about Deborah's rape?
9. What vision does John have about Gabriel?
10. What is John's attitude towards religion?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)