|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Elizabeth decide not to tell Richard she was pregnant?
(a) She was too ashamed
(b) She did not think he would be a good father
(c) She did not wnat to marry him
(d) She did not want to burden him
2. What did Gabriel consider Esther to be?
(a) A real woman
(b) Damaged goods
(c) An angel
(d) A harlot
3. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
4. What did Richard work as?
(b) Butcher boy
(c) Grocery clerk
5. What had the black youth just robbed?
(a) A store
(b) A house
(c) A bank
(d) An old lady
6. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
(a) She once slept with a white man
(b) She does always go to church
(c) She has not repented for giving birth to John
(d) She is from common stock
7. What is Roy's first name in full?
8. What city did Esther send Gabriel a letter from?
(a) New York
9. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
(a) Go out at night
(b) Drink and womanize
(c) Beat the children that are not his
(d) Make a distinction between the children
10. Who brings Gabriel back to the present?
11. How does Elizabeth describe Richard?
12. Where does Elizabeth find a job?
(a) A hotel
(b) A hospital
(c) A bar
(d) A hostel
13. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
14. Who is Gabriel worried is under the power of the lord?
15. What did Elizabeth's aunt say God would do to her soon enough?
(a) Embrace her
(b) Shoot her down
(c) Lay her low
(d) Forgive her
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gabriel do when he heard the news Royal had died?
2. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
3. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
4. What does Gabriel see in John's eyes?
5. Where did Gabriel first become a well known preacher?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)