|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth call her innocence?
(a) Her pearl
(b) Her satin silk
(c) Her petal
(d) Her diamond
2. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She could not bear children
(b) She had been raped
(c) She was ugly
(d) She was crazy
3. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
4. Why did Elizabeth decide not to tell Richard she was pregnant?
(a) She did not think he would be a good father
(b) She was too ashamed
(c) She did not wnat to marry him
(d) She did not want to burden him
5. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
(a) The music culture
(b) The higher currency rate
(c) The relaxed atmosphere
(d) Opportunities for black people
6. What does Gabriel say God has promised him?
(a) Eternal life
(b) Financial riches
(c) A royal line
(d) A place in heaven
7. Where was Richard waiting when he was arrested?
(a) The bus stop
(b) The doctors
(c) The train station
(d) The subway
8. What did Elizabeth decide not to tell Richard?
(a) She had to go back home
(b) His brother had died
(c) She was pregnant
(d) She was sacked from her job
9. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
(a) She did not want to have his children
(b) She wanted to stay pure for God
(c) She had a fear of sex
(d) She was brutally raped
10. What does Elizabeth say was her defense?
(a) Her humor
(b) Her arrogance
(c) Her pride
(d) Her anger
11. Who does Gabriel think sent Esther to him?
(c) The rival church
(d) White men
12. Why does Elizabeth think she should have told Richard about her pregnancy?
(a) He would have given her money
(b) He would not have killed himself
(c) He could have asked for forgiveness
(d) He would have died happy
13. Who is the son that God promised Gabriel in a dream?
14. What shift did Elizabeth work at the Wall Street offices?
(d) Split shift
15. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gabriel not want John to come under the power of the lord?
2. What important event happened in Gabriel life at the age of 22?
3. What part of New York did Elizabeth meet Florence?
4. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
5. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)