|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth describe Richard?
2. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
3. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(c) New York
4. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
(a) She wanted to please Gabriel
(b) She was barren
(c) She loved him
(d) He needed a mother
5. What does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will bring her back to?
(a) Her innocence
(c) Her faith
(d) Her family
6. How did Royal die?
(a) In a gun fight
(b) In a knife fight
(c) In a car crash
(d) In a plane crash
7. What shift did Elizabeth work at the Wall Street offices?
(a) Split shift
8. Why did Elizabeth think that Gabriel would make a strong father?
(a) He had strong convictions
(b) He was a loving man
(c) He was a hardworker
(d) He was rich
9. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
(a) Go out at night
(b) Make a distinction between the children
(c) Drink and womanize
(d) Beat the children that are not his
10. Who is the only man Elizabeth has truly loved?
11. Why did Elizabeth decide not to tell Richard she was pregnant?
(a) She was too ashamed
(b) She did not think he would be a good father
(c) She did not want to burden him
(d) She did not wnat to marry him
12. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
(a) The music culture
(b) The relaxed atmosphere
(c) The higher currency rate
(d) Opportunities for black people
13. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
(a) She once slept with a white man
(b) She does always go to church
(c) She has not repented for giving birth to John
(d) She is from common stock
14. Whose forehead does Gabriel want to crush?
(d) A whiteman's
15. Why could Elizabeth not leave Richard?
(a) She was pregnant
(b) She was too in love with him
(c) He knew too much about her
(d) She was his strength
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Esther send Gabriel a letter from?
2. Who was Elizabeth upset about having to leave behind?
3. Who was the mother of Gabriel's first child?
4. Where does Elizabeth find a job?
5. What had the black youth just robbed?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)