|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
(a) She had a fear of sex
(b) She was brutally raped
(c) She did not want to have his children
(d) She wanted to stay pure for God
2. What did Elizabeth work as on Wall Street?
(a) A secretary
(b) A shoe shiner
(c) A financial analyst
(d) A cleaner
3. What does Gabriel see in John's eyes?
(b) An accusation
4. Where was Richard waiting when he was arrested?
(a) The train station
(b) The subway
(c) The bus stop
(d) The doctors
5. What does Elizabeth insist Gabriel does not do?
(a) Make a distinction between the children
(b) Go out at night
(c) Drink and womanize
(d) Beat the children that are not his
6. Why does Gabriel not want John to come under the power of the lord?
(a) He will make a better preacher than himself
(b) He is not his real son
(c) He is evil
(d) He has a better life ahead of him
7. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She could not bear children
(b) She was ugly
(c) She was crazy
(d) She had been raped
8. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(c) New York
9. Who did Elizabeth meet in 1919?
10. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
11. Who told Gabriel that Royal had died?
12. How does Elizabeth describe Richard?
13. Why does Elizabeth say she started sleeping with Richard in New York?
(a) She found him irresistible
(b) She wanted a child
(c) She wanted to show him she would make a good wife
(d) No one cared how she acted
14. What did Gabriel consider Esther to be?
(a) A harlot
(b) An angel
(c) Damaged goods
(d) A real woman
15. What does Elizabeth say was her defense?
(a) Her anger
(b) Her pride
(c) Her humor
(d) Her arrogance
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roy's first name in full?
2. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
3. Where did Gabriel first become a well known preacher?
4. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
5. What was John when Gabriel married Elizabeth?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)