|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Richard ask Elizabeth to move with him to?
(b) New York
2. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
(a) She does always go to church
(b) She once slept with a white man
(c) She is from common stock
(d) She has not repented for giving birth to John
3. What room in the white people's house did Gabriel first make love to Esther?
(a) The bedroom
(b) The games room
(c) The lounge
(d) The kitchen
4. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(d) New York
5. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
6. What is Roy's first name in full?
7. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
(a) He needed a mother
(b) She wanted to please Gabriel
(c) She was barren
(d) She loved him
8. What did Elizabeth's aunt say God would do to her soon enough?
(a) Embrace her
(b) Shoot her down
(c) Lay her low
(d) Forgive her
9. What had the black youth just robbed?
(a) A store
(b) An old lady
(c) A house
(d) A bank
10. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She could not bear children
(b) She was crazy
(c) She was ugly
(d) She had been raped
11. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
(a) She was brutally raped
(b) She did not want to have his children
(c) She had a fear of sex
(d) She wanted to stay pure for God
12. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
(a) Admit that Royal was his son
(b) Devote his life to the lord
(c) Bury Royal
(d) Pray to the lord
13. Why did Elizabeth think that Gabriel would make a strong father?
(a) He was a loving man
(b) He had strong convictions
(c) He was rich
(d) He was a hardworker
14. What part of New York does Elizabeth stay in?
(d) The Bronx
15. Who was the mother of Gabriel's first child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only man Elizabeth has truly loved?
2. What does Gabriel command John to do?
3. What did Richard work as?
4. Who did Gabriel steal money from?
5. What city did Royal die in?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)