|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Gabriel worried is under the power of the lord?
2. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
(a) Devote his life to the lord
(b) Bury Royal
(c) Pray to the lord
(d) Admit that Royal was his son
3. What shift did Elizabeth work at the Wall Street offices?
(c) Split shift
4. What does Gabriel see in John's eyes?
(a) An accusation
5. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
(a) She loved him
(b) He needed a mother
(c) She wanted to please Gabriel
(d) She was barren
6. Why could Deborah not bear Gabriel children?
(a) She was brutally raped
(b) She did not want to have his children
(c) She had a fear of sex
(d) She wanted to stay pure for God
7. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She was ugly
(b) She had been raped
(c) She was crazy
(d) She could not bear children
8. Who is the only man Elizabeth has truly loved?
9. Whose forehead does Gabriel want to crush?
(d) A whiteman's
10. What did Gabriel consider Esther to be?
(a) A harlot
(b) An angel
(c) A real woman
(d) Damaged goods
11. Where does Elizabeth find a job?
(a) A bar
(b) A hotel
(c) A hostel
(d) A hospital
12. Why could Elizabeth not leave Richard?
(a) She was pregnant
(b) He knew too much about her
(c) She was too in love with him
(d) She was his strength
13. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(d) New York
14. Where did Gabriel first become a well known preacher?
(a) New York
(d) North Carolina
15. What did Elizabeth work as on Wall Street?
(a) A secretary
(b) A shoe shiner
(c) A financial analyst
(d) A cleaner
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
2. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
3. What is Roy's first name in full?
4. Who does Gabriel remember watching him through dying eyes?
5. Which of the following words can be used to describe Esther?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)