|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth say she hated as a child?
(a) Her mother
(c) Her aunt
(d) Her father
2. What does Elizabeth call her innocence?
(a) Her petal
(b) Her satin silk
(c) Her pearl
(d) Her diamond
3. Who did Gabriel steal money from?
(a) His mother
4. Who is the only man Elizabeth has truly loved?
5. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
(a) She loved him
(b) She wanted to please Gabriel
(c) He needed a mother
(d) She was barren
6. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(c) New York
7. Which of the following does Elizabeth use to describe her relationship with Gabriel?
(a) Her redemption
(b) Her savior
(c) Her hiding place
(d) Her funhouse
8. What shift did Elizabeth work at the Wall Street offices?
(d) Split shift
9. What did Elizabeth like about Florence?
(a) Her sense of humor
(b) Her sense of fun
(c) Her no nonsense personality
(d) Her honesty
10. What did Elizabeth work as on Wall Street?
(a) A cleaner
(b) A shoe shiner
(c) A financial analyst
(d) A secretary
11. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
12. What does Gabriel see John as the product of?
(a) A failing society
(b) A woman's sins
(c) The devil
(d) A man's sins
13. Who did Elizabeth meet in 1919?
14. What does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will bring her back to?
(b) Her family
(c) Her innocence
(d) Her faith
15. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
(a) Admit that Royal was his son
(b) Devote his life to the lord
(c) Pray to the lord
(d) Bury Royal
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gabriel do when he heard the news Royal had died?
2. What part of New York does Elizabeth stay in?
3. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
4. Why did Elizabeth think that Gabriel would make a strong father?
5. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)