|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gabriel see John as the product of?
(a) A man's sins
(b) A woman's sins
(c) The devil
(d) A failing society
2. Who was the mother of Gabriel's first child?
3. Where did Elizabeth move to with her aunt?
(c) New York
4. What does Richard do after his trial?
(a) Starts college
(b) Kill himself
(c) Starts taking drugs
(d) Move away
5. What room in the white people's house did Gabriel first make love to Esther?
(a) The kitchen
(b) The bedroom
(c) The lounge
(d) The games room
6. Where does Elizabeth find a job?
(a) A hostel
(b) A hospital
(c) A bar
(d) A hotel
7. What did Gabriel do when he heard the news Royal had died?
(a) Picked an argument with a white man
(c) Went out drinking
(d) Hit Deborah
8. Why does Elizabeth think she should have told Richard about her pregnancy?
(a) He could have asked for forgiveness
(b) He would have given her money
(c) He would have died happy
(d) He would not have killed himself
9. What part of New York does Elizabeth stay in?
(b) The Bronx
10. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
11. What had the black youth just robbed?
(a) A bank
(b) A house
(c) An old lady
(d) A store
12. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She had been raped
(b) She was crazy
(c) She could not bear children
(d) She was ugly
13. What did Elizabeth's aunt say God would do to her soon enough?
(a) Lay her low
(b) Shoot her down
(c) Embrace her
(d) Forgive her
14. Who in his life does John say he hates?
(c) His mother
(d) His father
15. How did Royal die?
(a) In a plane crash
(b) In a car crash
(c) In a gun fight
(d) In a knife fight
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gabriel remember watching him through dying eyes?
2. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
3. Who did Gabriel steal money from?
4. Which of the following events happened when Elizabeth was 8?
5. Who was Elizabeth upset about having to leave behind?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)