|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words can be used to describe Esther?
2. What was John when Gabriel married Elizabeth?
(a) A miserable child
(b) A devil child
(c) An unnamed child
(d) A dying child
3. What does Elizabeth say she wants to take advantage of by moving north?
(a) Opportunities for black people
(b) The higher currency rate
(c) The relaxed atmosphere
(d) The music culture
4. What does Elizabeth recall as a frightening experience?
(a) Giving birth to John
(b) Moving to New York
(c) Finding Richard dead
(d) Her honeymoon
5. Why would no one else marry Deborah?
(a) She had been raped
(b) She could not bear children
(c) She was ugly
(d) She was crazy
6. What was the name of Gabriel's first son?
7. Where was Richard waiting when he was arrested?
(a) The train station
(b) The doctors
(c) The bus stop
(d) The subway
8. What city did Royal die in?
(a) San Francisco
(b) Los Angeles
(d) New York
9. What does Deborah say Gabriel has to do to find forgiveness?
(a) Devote his life to the lord
(b) Pray to the lord
(c) Admit that Royal was his son
(d) Bury Royal
10. What did Elizabeth's aunt say God would do to her soon enough?
(a) Forgive her
(b) Embrace her
(c) Lay her low
(d) Shoot her down
11. Who does Elizabeth say she hated as a child?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her father
(c) Her aunt
12. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
(a) She has not repented for giving birth to John
(b) She once slept with a white man
(c) She is from common stock
(d) She does always go to church
13. What city did Esther send Gabriel a letter from?
(c) New York
14. Who was the mother of Gabriel's first child?
15. Who does Gabriel think sent Esther to him?
(a) The rival church
(b) White men
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose forehead does Gabriel want to crush?
2. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
3. Who did Elizabeth meet in 1919?
4. What does Gabriel say God has promised him?
5. Which character says "the black scum of this wicked city?"
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)