|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gabriel say God has promised him?
(a) Eternal life
(b) A royal line
(c) Financial riches
(d) A place in heaven
2. Whose point of view is this chapter mostly told from?
3. What had the black youth just robbed?
(a) A house
(b) An old lady
(c) A store
(d) A bank
4. Who is the son that God promised Gabriel in a dream?
5. What important event happened in Gabriel life at the age of 22?
(a) He married
(b) He overdosed
(c) He found God
(d) He moved north
6. Why did Elizabeth decide not to tell Richard she was pregnant?
(a) She did not think he would be a good father
(b) She did not wnat to marry him
(c) She did not want to burden him
(d) She was too ashamed
7. Who does Gabriel remember watching him through dying eyes?
(b) His mother
(c) His father
8. Why does Elizabeth say she started sleeping with Richard in New York?
(a) No one cared how she acted
(b) She wanted a child
(c) She wanted to show him she would make a good wife
(d) She found him irresistible
9. Why would Deborah have taken in Royal?
(a) He needed a mother
(b) She was barren
(c) She loved him
(d) She wanted to please Gabriel
10. Where did Gabriel first become a well known preacher?
(a) New York
(b) North Carolina
11. Who was Elizabeth upset about having to leave behind?
(a) Her father
(b) Her brother
(c) Her sister
(d) Her dog
12. Who hopes that one day God will grind white people into humility?
13. Where was Richard waiting when he was arrested?
(a) The bus stop
(b) The doctors
(c) The subway
(d) The train station
14. Why does Gabriel look down on Elizabeth?
(a) She does always go to church
(b) She has not repented for giving birth to John
(c) She once slept with a white man
(d) She is from common stock
15. Why does Elizabeth think she should have told Richard about her pregnancy?
(a) He would have died happy
(b) He could have asked for forgiveness
(c) He would have given her money
(d) He would not have killed himself
Short Answer Questions
1. What room in the white people's house did Gabriel first make love to Esther?
2. What does Gabriel see John as the product of?
3. What did Gabriel consider Esther to be?
4. Who does Gabriel promise Elizabeth he will love as his own?
5. Who was the mother of Gabriel's first child?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)