|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who argues with John's mother in the kitchen?
2. Where did Florence's father leave for after Gabriel's birth?
(c) The north
3. Who stops Gabriel from whipping Roy?
4. How does Gabriel try to control Roy?
(a) By sending him to work in poor areas
(b) By forcing him to church
(c) By whipping him
(d) By locking him in his room
5. What park does John go to in this section?
(a) South Park
(b) Regent's Park
(c) Hyde Park
(d) Central Park
6. What country did Frank die in?
7. Who freed Florence's mother from slavery?
(a) Nothern troops
(b) A governor
(c) Southern troops
(d) Abraham Lincoln
8. What does John mean by saying he has sinned his hand?
(a) He has masturbated
(b) He has stolen
(c) He has touched a woman
(d) He has touched a boy
9. What is the name of Gabriel's sister?
10. Which of the following words best describes John's feeling towards the white people on fith avenue?
11. What does Florence remember talking about with Frank?
(a) Gabriel's hatred for life
(b) Florence mother's illness
(c) Gabriel's sermons
(d) A letter from Deborah
12. What is John worried about as he enters the movie theater?
(a) If it is a white person's theater
(b) If he is too young
(c) If he has enough money
(d) If a member of the church may see him
13. What was the name of Gabriel's first wife?
14. Who does Florence kneel with at the altar?
(b) The saints
(c) The choir boys
(d) The preachers
15. What does Gabriel use to whip Roy?
(a) A switch
(b) A belt
(c) A rope
(d) A towel
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Florence's husband?
2. Who does Florence say she has seen waiting for her?
3. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
4. Where does Aunt Florence say the young woman that stands by Gabriel's side now is?
5. What member of John's family does not enter the church?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)