|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raped Deborah?
(a) A group of white men
(b) A group of black men
(d) A preacher
2. What does Florence say her mother used to tell stories about?
3. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
(a) She sent him to New York
(b) She beat him
(c) She sent him to boarding school
(d) She forced him to go to church
4. What happened when Deborah's father threatened one of the white men that raped his daughter?
(a) He was beaten and left for dead
(b) He was jailed
(c) He was burned to death
(d) He was forced to leave the town
5. Who freed Florence's mother from slavery?
(a) Southern troops
(b) A governor
(c) Nothern troops
(d) Abraham Lincoln
6. What member of John's family does not enter the church?
7. What does Florence remember talking about with Frank?
(a) Gabriel's hatred for life
(b) Gabriel's sermons
(c) Florence mother's illness
(d) A letter from Deborah
8. What does Roy's mother say her husband is trying to keep Roy away from?
9. Who does Florence say she has seen waiting for her?
(c) The devil
10. Why does Florence think Gabriel rejoices in her presence at church?
(a) It means he can make her feel bad
(b) It means she can still go to heaven
(c) It means some hardships have come to her
(d) It means he has a won a bet with her
11. What city did Frank and Florence live in?
(b) New Orleans
(c) New York
12. What does Florence say Frank was extravagant with?
13. What war did Frank die in?
(a) Vietnam War
(b) First World War
(c) Second World War
(d) The Boer War
14. What would Frank do after an argument with Florence?
(a) Start attending church
(c) Go on a binge
(d) Move in with another woman
15. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
(a) Lord Byron
(b) The constitution
(c) The bible
(d) Huckleberry Fin
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gabriel blame for Roy's wild ways?
2. What do Roy and his mother argue about?
3. What part of New york does John live in?
4. What does John's mother give him for his birthday?
5. Whose presence at church surprises John?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)