|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John think the people on fifth avenue don't read every night?
(a) Lord Byron
(b) The bible
(c) Huckleberry Fin
(d) The constitution
2. What is the name of Gabriel's sister?
3. What would Frank do after an argument with Florence?
(a) Start attending church
(b) Go on a binge
(d) Move in with another woman
4. What does Florence claim she uses for her husband's sake?
(a) Skin whitener
(d) Eye shadow
5. What does John's father call white people?
(b) Loving and kind
(c) Wicked and deceitful
6. What does the narrow path promise?
(a) A narrow mind
(b) The glory of an afterlife
(c) The love of God
(d) An unhappy life
7. What happened when Deborah's father threatened one of the white men that raped his daughter?
(a) He was beaten and left for dead
(b) He was jailed
(c) He was burned to death
(d) He was forced to leave the town
8. What was the name of Florence's husband?
9. What does Florence remember talking about with Frank?
(a) Gabriel's sermons
(b) Gabriel's hatred for life
(c) Florence mother's illness
(d) A letter from Deborah
10. What member of John's family does not enter the church?
11. What did Florence do when her mother fell deathly ill?
(a) Cared for her
(b) Left home
(d) Killed her
12. What does Gabriel use to whip Roy?
(a) A rope
(b) A switch
(c) A belt
(d) A towel
13. What does Gabriel do when Elizabeth tells him no one is to blame for Roy's behavior?
(a) Hugs her
(b) Sends Roy to his room
(c) Slaps her
(d) Walks out of the house
14. Where do the family keep the photographs in the front room?
(a) In the desk drawer
(b) On the mantelpiece
(c) On the side tables
(d) On the book shelf
15. What does Florence think Gabriel will do over her grave?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday is it at the beginning of the book?
2. What is John worried about as he enters the movie theater?
3. How did Florence's mother try to stop Gabriel from being wicked?
4. What person in her life does Florence hate?
5. Whose presence at church surprises John?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)