* The story begins on the morning of John Grimes' 14th birthday.
* John lives in Harlem with his religious family. His father is a preacher.
* John wakes up remembering that today is his birthday. He feels guilty because because the previous day, he masturbated in the school toilets.
* John's feelings of guilt are increased by the fact he hates his father.
* John enters the kitchen where is mother is arguing with his brother Roy about his father.
* Roy is a wild child whom his father and everyone else at the congregation hopes will one day find redemption.
* Roy tells his mother that when he has children he is not going to treat them like his father does.
* John leaves the kitchen to start his Saturday chores. He has to sweep the frontroom and dust the furniture.
* While John dusts the mantle piece he studies photographs...
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)