|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a major issue for Fossey?
2. Whose death is the hardest for Fossey to accept?
3. Who finds Digit's body?
4. During the tracking process, Fossey notes that it is hard to keep track of which of the following?
5. What word is used to describe something that is unstable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fossey's first major interaction with Peanuts.
2. Discuss Fossey's first interaction with Whinny and Digit.
3. What were some of Fossey's ongoing issues with funding for the research and camp operation?
4. Discuss the murder of Digit and Fossey's reaction. What good might have come from Digit's death?
5. What happened to Uncle Bert? What did the incident prompt Fossey to do?
6. Who was Ian Redmond? What was his job at the camp? How did he relate to the natives?
7. Describe at least one scenario in which one or more of the gorillas showed what could be equal to human emotion.
8. How did the relationship between Fossey and Digit begin?
9. What happened between Fossey and a student that wanted to claim a trophy to take home?
10. Who is Old Goat? What was unusual about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When designing and setting up the Karisoke Research Centre, Fossey had very specific goals in mind. What were Fossey's goals? What did she hope to accomplish at the centre? Create a business plan for the centre. Include a mission and vision statements to completely explain the purpose, goals, milestones, and proposed outcome of the study and progress at the camp.
Essay Topic 2
There were a large number of killings and mutilations involving the mountain gorillas. Examine this issue. According to the text, when did the killings and/or mutilations begin? What was the first incident witnessed by Fossey? Did Fossey know that that type of thing happened in the region? Who first informed Fossey of the crimes? Which animals were involved in the earliest recorded incidents? Who was responsible? Why would someone want to kill and/or mutilate the animals? Was it for profit, sport or protection? What was Fossey's assessment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Flashback is used in several places to reiterate earlier experiences and to show progress of the study and the camp. Choose at least three examples in which Fossey employs flashback. What was the purpose of each example? Was it effective? Explain.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)