|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Bert?
2. What part of the baby was deformed?
3. What is the translation of the gorilla's name?
4. What title is given to Paulin?
5. Who approaches Fossey about making a poster?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fossey compare Beethoven and Uncle Bert?
2. What were two of Fossey's main issues when it came to finding acceptable student workers?
3. What is unusual about the behavior exhibited by Augustus?
4. What are some of the issues faced by the students?
5. What was Fossey's opinion of visitors to the park?
6. Explain at least some of the things that the students do that irritated Fossey.
7. Who was Tim White? What was his contribution to Fossey and the camp?
8. Describe at least one scenario in which one or more of the gorillas showed what could be equal to human emotion.
9. How did the relationship between Fossey and Digit begin?
10. What was one of the most famous photos of Digit? How did it misrepresent his personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Political upheaval was the reason Fossey was forced to leave Karisoke Research Centre for the first time. Study the political structure of Africa at that time. Why was there political upheaval? Who was involved? Why did it affect the camp? Why/how did it affect Fossey's work? How did Fossey convince the officials to let the work at the camp continue? Was Fossey ever a part of or target for political issues? How did Fossey view the entire situation?
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description/bio on Dian Fossey as it relates to her work. Include education, familial relationships, interaction with animals, professional status and accomplishments.
Essay Topic 3
There were a large number of killings and mutilations involving the mountain gorillas. Examine this issue. According to the text, when did the killings and/or mutilations begin? What was the first incident witnessed by Fossey? Did Fossey know that that type of thing happened in the region? Who first informed Fossey of the crimes? Which animals were involved in the earliest recorded incidents? Who was responsible? Why would someone want to kill and/or mutilate the animals? Was it for profit, sport or protection? What was Fossey's assessment? Explain.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)