|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which operation is supposedly required before Fossey can return to Africa?
2. Upon which gorilla did Beethoven depend the most?
3. What is the name of the gorilla that has yet to bear a child?
4. What animals routinely thwart Fossey's efforts to observe and study the gorillas?
5. In which year was Fossey forced from her mountain camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Bravado to change drastically?
2. Describe at least one harsh lesson learned by Fossey while looking for the animals.
3. Discuss the introduction of Icarus. To which group did Icarus belong? Who else belonged to the group?
4. Discuss the episode in which Brahms was shot by a poacher.
5. Discuss how Alan Root helped Fossey establish a base camp. Where was it located? What types of things did Fossey attempt to put into place?
6. Explain Fossey's first trek into the gorillas' territory. Who accompanied Fossey? Why?
7. Fossey was careful to do what major thing after meeting the gorillas for the first time?
8. Explain Group 5's move to the subalpine range, Fossey's theory, and actions taken to protect the gorillas.
9. Discuss the introduction of Sanwekwe. Who is Sanwekwe? What is the person's job?
10. Who is Dian Fossey? What type of work does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Goodall is referenced in the story. Who was Jane Goodall? Why was she an important woman? How did she relate to Fossey? What type of work was performed by Goodall? Was the work similar to the work performed at the research center? Compare and contrast Dian Fossey and Jane Goodall. Include their professions, status, projects, successes, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Tim White. Who was White? Why did he travel to the Karisoke Research Centre? What were his goals? What did White do while he was at the centre? What was White's relationship to Fossey? How did White get along with the student workers? What was White's biggest contribution to the work? What happened after White left Karisoke?
Essay Topic 3
Funding is always a major issue for projects like the one started by Fossey. Create an outline of the specifics of a similar program. Include a complete breakdown of what would be needed to complete a program like Fossey's, including cost of staff, equipment, properties, facilities, permits, transportation, medicines, etc. How difficult is it to estimate how much money will be needed for a specific period of time? Using this information, create a proposal to be presented to a particular funding source.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)