|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates try to test Callicles?
2. In Chapter VI, with what is Socrates primarily concerned with the health of?
3. What does Socrates say friendship, self-control, sharing, and justice maintain order between?
4. Callicles criticizes Socrates because he believes what influences Socrates?
5. What does Socrates believe should be the result of any action taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How should unjust or out of control souls be treated, in Socrates' opinion?
2. Is "justice" one sided? Can there be multiple types of justice? Why or why not?
3. According to Callicles, where is philosophy useful and how can it be detrimental?
4. Should people avoid injustice or act justly? According to Socrates, which is better? Why?
5. What effect does Socrates believe order and self-control have on happiness?
6. What is Socrates' theory about the dangers of mass-influence and how it relates to useful and useless action?
7. According to Callicles, where should one's rights originate from?
8. What is the relevance of everyone experiencing pleasure and pain differently?
9. According to Socrates, what is the result of a young person being raised under an unjust government?
10. According to Socrates, what does a soul in harmony do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversational design of the book and what it draws from the characters and complements the subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of pleasure and pain as it is addressed by the different philosophers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use, necessity, or uselessness of arts and sciences to humans based on Socrates ideals.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)