|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates believes a person is ______ if they fail to perform good in their work.
2. Socrates explains that good is not necessarily what?
3. What does Socrates say friendship, self-control, sharing, and justice maintain order between?
4. Socrates explains that to escape injustice, one must ______ injustice.
5. Callicles criticizes Socrates because he believes what influences Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Socrates, if one desires nothing, are they happy? Why or why not?
2. What is Socrates' belief about how one acquires excellence?
3. Should people avoid injustice or act justly? According to Socrates, which is better? Why?
4. According to Socrates, what is the result of a young person being raised under an unjust government?
5. According to Socrates, what does a soul in harmony do?
6. How does natural justice differ from legislation?
7. According to Callicles, where should one's rights originate from?
8. Is "justice" one sided? Can there be multiple types of justice? Why or why not?
9. How do Socrates and Callicles' opinions of freedom clash?
10. What is Socrates' theory about the dangers of mass-influence and how it relates to useful and useless action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of humanity based on their abilities to persuade and be persuaded as addressed by Gorgias.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss philosophy in "Gorgias," including how it is used, what it aids, and how it defines the conversation.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one man from "Gorgias" to discuss and defend his position.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)