|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates think one with destructive power feels?
2. Socrates believes that good people feel what?
3. What does Socrates explain is different from bad?
4. What does Socrates say about the only people who can fulfill their desires?
5. What does Socrates believe that satisfying desires is equal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Socrates regard medicine as a good action?
2. According to Socrates, what does a soul in harmony do?
3. How should unjust or out of control souls be treated, in Socrates' opinion?
4. According to Callicles, where should one's rights originate from?
5. According to Callicles, where is philosophy useful and how can it be detrimental?
6. What is Socrates' belief about how one acquires excellence?
7. How does natural justice differ from legislation?
8. According to Socrates, how can one attain harmony and why is it important?
9. What is the relevance of everyone experiencing pleasure and pain differently?
10. Callicles argues that one should not neglect the natural order. What does the natural order offer that convention cannot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversational design of the book and what it draws from the characters and complements the subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Socrates' and Callicles' conflict of justice in relation to human nature.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one man from "Gorgias" to discuss and defend his position.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)