|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates claim is the greatest evil in Chapter IV?
2. What does Socrates specify is different between a coward experiencing pain and a brave man experiencing pain?
(a) Cowards learn from their pain.
(b) They experience different degrees.
(c) Brave men feel nothing.
(d) Brave men expect pain and are unaffected.
3. What does Socrates believe about a body that is in harmony?
(a) It is healthy.
(b) It is bored.
(c) It is lonely.
(d) It is peaceful.
4. What is Callicles' opinion of lawmakers?
(a) They are stupid.
(b) They are weak.
(c) They are failed artists.
(d) They are irrational.
5. Socrates explains that to escape injustice, one must ______ injustice.
6. In Socrates' opinion, what does a sick body not need an abundance of?
7. Who does Callicles believe can destroy legislation?
(d) Strong people.
8. What kind of knowledge does Socrates think helps men determine good and bad pleasures?
9. Why does Callicles regard philosophy as dangerous?
(a) It distracts from true issues.
(b) It promotes anarchy.
(c) It cannot help people in trouble.
(d) It induces physical weakness.
10. Socrates believes bad people feel what?
11. According to Callicles, where does happiness come from?
(a) A complete family.
(b) Material goods.
(d) A good job.
12. What effect does Socrates see a destructive government has on youth?
(a) The youth rise up and overthrow the government.
(b) The youth adopt the same destructive behavior.
(c) The youth are inspired to be better.
(d) The youth develop low self-value.
13. How does Socrates think one with destructive power feels?
14. How does Socrates claim excellence cannot be acquired?
15. According to Callicles, what does limiting freedom limit?
(a) Income potential.
(b) Enjoyment of life.
(c) Physical activity.
(d) Intellectual growth.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Callicles, what kingdoms have the right to invade others?
2. What does Socrates believe all people experience the same?
3. Socrates often refers to a good soul in what kind of a light?
4. What does Socrates say people who are victims of injustice need to acquire?
5. Socrates believes that weak people lack conviction and can lose what?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)