|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say friendship, self-control, sharing, and justice maintain order between?
(a) Men, heaven, and earth.
(b) Men and women.
(c) Men and animals.
(d) Political parties.
2. In Callciles' opinion, what is the superior art?
3. Socrates believes that a soul in harmony is what?
4. What does Socrates say determines the varying degrees of pleasure and pain a person feels?
5. Socrates explains that to escape injustice, one must ______ injustice.
6. Socrates sees Callicles' opinion of living for wanting nothing as equal to being what?
7. According to Callicles, what do people who are happiest without?
(a) Want and desire.
(b) Obstruction of laws.
(c) Money and material.
8. In Socrates' opinion, what does a sick body not need an abundance of?
9. In Callicles opinion, what does legislation defend?
(a) Superior people.
(c) Weak people.
10. What does Callicles claim legislation to be?
(c) A hoax.
11. Why does Socrates ask to be corrected in his arguments?
(a) Because he wants to get to the truth.
(b) Because he thinks he is incorrect.
(c) Because he thinks the conversation has lulled.
(d) Because he wants the others to exercise their minds.
12. In Chapter VI, with what is Socrates primarily concerned with the health of?
(a) The body.
(b) The mind.
(c) The soul.
13. How does Socrates claim a person in control is able to act?
14. What does Socrates believe excellence leads to?
15. According to Callicles, where does happiness come from?
(a) Material goods.
(b) A good job.
(c) A complete family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Callicles' opinion of lawmakers?
2. What does Socrates believe that wanting and desiring involve feeling?
3. What does Socrates specify is different between a coward experiencing pain and a brave man experiencing pain?
4. Why does Callicles claim philosophy is good for youth in education?
5. What kinds of pleasure and pain does Socrates believe should be experienced?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)