|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What challenge is Gorgias being faced with?
(a) Keeping business and personal matters separate.
(b) Responding to anything that is asked.
(c) Having to convince a great philosopher.
(d) Convincing the men to follow a religion.
2. What does Gorgias claim is the basis for all arts and sciences?
3. In Socrates' opinion, who are the happiest people?
(a) Those with the most money.
(b) Those who have lived the longest.
(c) Those with no vices.
(d) Those with the most power.
4. What kind of a result does Socrates believe any action taken must intend to elicit?
(a) A good result.
(b) An insignificant result.
(c) A short-term benefit.
(d) A self-indulgent result.
5. Why does Socrates regard Gorgias' answers as useful?
(a) Because he is well educated.
(b) Because he understands rhetoric now.
(c) Because they are precise.
(d) Because they are unique.
6. While acknowledging punishment is a negative action, Socrates regards it as what?
7. Socrates regards flattery is the main point used on what area?
8. When does Socrates regard pain as useful?
(b) In punishment.
(c) When it instills fear.
(d) When it is used to protect.
9. What does Socrates define tyranny as the power to do?
(d) Anything one pleases.
10. Chapter I states there cannot be false and true what?
11. According to Socrates, who are the second happiest people?
(a) Those who get married.
(b) Those who only briefly suffer.
(c) Those who deliver others from evil.
(d) Those who are healthy.
12. What does Gorgias specify sciences also involve?
13. What are Socrates' criteria in analyzing sciences?
(a) Based on their organized presentation.
(b) Based on their fidelity to tradition.
(c) Based on their benefit to humans.
(d) Based on their creative angle.
14. What does Gorgias describe gaining knowledge as involving?
(d) Manual action.
15. Socrates believes part of learning about justice is acting how?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates say a rhetorician must have to persuade a physician?
2. Socrates wants to learn the _____ of rhetoric.
3. What does Socrates specify produces gratification and pleasure?
4. What does Socrates believe rhetoricians and Sophists are confused with?
5. Why does Socrates believe wrongdoers who go unpunished are more wretched than the punished?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)