|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI (503-514).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Callicles claim philosophy is good for youth in education?
(a) It keeps them calm.
(b) It encourages unity.
(c) It inspires noble actions.
(d) It inspires critical thinking.
2. What does Gorgias claim rhetoric is not intended to do?
(a) Impart knowledge.
(b) Be used.
(c) Influence the masses.
(d) Achieve advantages.
3. What does Callicles claim legislation to be?
(b) A hoax.
4. What subjects does Socrates specify rhetoricians have the ability to speak about?
(a) All subjects.
5. What does Socrates not intend to do in his arguments?
(a) Influence anyone.
(b) Frighten anyone.
(c) Listen to anyone.
(d) Discredit anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Socrates claim a person in control is able to act?
2. What does Socrates believe rhetoricians and Sophists are confused with?
3. Where do the men in "Gorgias" meet to discuss rhetoric?
4. What does Socrates specify makes advantageous actions not beneficial?
5. What is Polus meant to be an example of?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)