|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI (503-514).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe a soul that lacks control is?
2. What does Socrates believe makes punishment beneficial?
(a) It keeps people afraid.
(b) It makes the powerful more powerful.
(c) It improves the soul.
(d) It makes the body stronger.
3. What comments of Polus' does Socrates discredit?
(a) Those that contradict him.
(b) Those that are not passionate.
(c) Those that are too long.
(d) All of them.
4. What does Socrates regard as the most damaging to one's soul?
(a) Unjust actions.
(b) Exposure to evil.
(c) Bad relationships.
5. What does Gorgias believe rhetoric can be used for?
(a) Getting out of trouble.
(b) Persuading authorities.
(c) Curing disease.
(d) Gaining sympathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of knowledge does Socrates think helps men determine good and bad pleasures?
2. What is Socrates' opinion of what causes inconsistency in speech?
3. What does Callicles believe is the purpose of laws?
4. Callicles claims that, through history, strength is reflected in what?
5. What does Socrates believe he can avoid in being corrected?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)