|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI (503-514).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Socrates claim a person in control is able to act?
2. Callicles claims that, through history, strength is reflected in what?
3. What does Socrates regard as the most damaging to one's soul?
(b) Bad relationships.
(c) Unjust actions.
(d) Exposure to evil.
4. How does rhetoric benefit politicians in Gorgias' musings on politics?
(a) It makes them seem compassionate.
(b) It entertains youth and gains their support.
(c) It makes them seem more appealing because of their easygoing attitude.
(d) In their persuasive abilities, they can gain support.
5. What does Socrates regard as better than being cured of sickness?
(a) A good meal.
(b) Super powers.
(c) Never being sick at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates believes self-rule is more important than ruling others. Why?
2. What comments of Polus' does Socrates discredit?
3. Why does Socrates regard Gorgias' answers as useful?
4. What does Socrates say determines the varying degrees of pleasure and pain a person feels?
5. Why does Callicles regard philosophy as dangerous?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)