|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II (458-469).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Socrates believe power is beneficial to?
(b) The one with power.
(c) The people.
2. What are men in power with little common sense not able to judge, in Socrates' opinion?
(a) How to punish a criminal.
(b) The common good.
(c) The best defensive actions.
(d) What is best for them.
3. How does rhetoric benefit politicians in Gorgias' musings on politics?
(a) It makes them seem compassionate.
(b) In their persuasive abilities, they can gain support.
(c) It entertains youth and gains their support.
(d) It makes them seem more appealing because of their easygoing attitude.
4. What does the discussion of rhetoric between Gorgias and Socrates turn into?
(a) Sentimental rant.
(c) Nostalgic exchange.
(d) Comedic exchange.
5. What description of rhetoric is Gorgias supposed to provide?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates not intend to do in his arguments?
2. What does Gorgias specify sciences also involve?
3. According to Socrates, what do politics preside over?
4. What are Socrates' criteria in analyzing sciences?
5. What does Socrates specify produces gratification and pleasure?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)