|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II (458-469).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say defining areas of art is similar to defining?
(a) Body and soul.
(c) Likes and dislikes.
(d) Political parties.
2. What does Gorgias believe rhetoric can be used for?
(a) Persuading authorities.
(b) Curing disease.
(c) Getting out of trouble.
(d) Gaining sympathy.
3. What are Socrates' criteria in analyzing sciences?
(a) Based on their benefit to humans.
(b) Based on their organized presentation.
(c) Based on their creative angle.
(d) Based on their fidelity to tradition.
4. Gorgias believes that without mastering rhetoric, what is the occurrence of rhetoric left to?
5. Where do the men in "Gorgias" meet to discuss rhetoric?
(a) Gorgias' house.
(b) A theater.
(c) Socrates' office.
(d) Callicles' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgias distinguish as the difference between acquiring knowledge and acquiring a belief?
2. What does Gorgias claim is the basis for all arts and sciences?
3. Why does Socrates think areas of art need to be properly defined?
4. Why does Socrates hold rhetoricians in low esteem?
5. What does Socrates not intend to do in his arguments?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)