|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II (458-469).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gorgias claim rhetoric is not intended to do?
(a) Be used.
(b) Achieve advantages.
(c) Influence the masses.
(d) Impart knowledge.
2. Why does Socrates have a low regard for Sophists?
(a) They are too afraid of knowledge.
(b) They have little influence.
(c) They are not concerned with justice.
(d) They actively harm.
3. Why does Socrates ask to be corrected and criticized?
(a) So he can condescend to them.
(b) So he can challenge them back.
(c) So he does not feel guilty about monopolizing the conversation.
(d) So he may improve.
4. What does Gorgias describe gaining knowledge as involving?
(b) Manual action.
5. Gorgias believes that the most important things are health, wealth, and what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates hold rhetoricians in low esteem?
2. What description of rhetoric is Gorgias supposed to provide?
3. Where do the men in "Gorgias" meet to discuss rhetoric?
4. Why does Socrates regard Gorgias' answers as useful?
5. What does Gorgias claim is the basis for all arts and sciences?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)