|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI (503-514).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe he can avoid in being corrected?
2. How does Socrates claim excellence cannot be acquired?
3. What is Polus meant to be an example of?
(a) The ignorance of youth.
(b) The effects of a corrupt government.
(c) How to argue with Socrates.
(d) The negative effects of freedom.
4. What are men in power with little common sense not able to judge, in Socrates' opinion?
(a) How to punish a criminal.
(b) The common good.
(c) What is best for them.
(d) The best defensive actions.
5. Why does Socrates regard rhetoric as a dangerous tool?
(a) Because rhetoricians are too well respected.
(b) Because it only gives the appearance of being knowledgeable.
(c) Because rhetoric is a guise for something sinister.
(d) Because so few hold the ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates believes that a soul in harmony is what?
2. Socrates believes that men of substance do not engage in things that are not what?
3. What does Socrates claims the purpose of prose and poetry?
4. In Socrates' philosophy, in an unjust act, who feels greater evil?
5. Why does Socrates ask to be corrected and criticized?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)