|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Desdemona ask to follow her?
2. What book does Constance open?
3. What does Desdemona do with the page from the Gustav Manuscript?
4. What does Desdemona do when she hears the fray developing offstage?
5. What does Romeo declare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chorus appear and what is its first action?
2. What happens as Constance is reading OTHELLO from her complete works of Shakespeare?
3. How does Othello reward Constance and how does his reward symbolically represent Constance's real life?
4. What happens when Iago and Othella reenact their fight scene?
5. What happens in the scene with the pet turtle and how is this symbolic of Romeo and Juliet's relationship?
6. What does the Chorus do after delivering the monologue?
7. Describe the scene between Juliet and her nurse--do you think the nurse is wise?
8. Several times Constance bemoans the fact that there is no fool in either of Shakespeare's plays OTHELLO nor ROMEO AND JULIET. Who supplies the role of fool in this scene?
9. What is the effect of Nurse's blank verse musings?
10. How does the opening scene of Act 3, Scene 2 demonstrates the change in Romeo and Juliet's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of actions and objects that represent something else, i.e., they are symbolic. . Choose one of the following questions and write a well-organized essay using detailed examples from the text, your research and personal experience to support your statements:
1. One of the most overtly symbolic actions is when Romeo and Juliet pull the turtle in half in Act 3, Scene 2. What are a couple possible things this action symbolizes? Is this symbolic action (the pulling in half of a live animal) "over the top?" Could this symbolic action have been represented in a less gruesome way, or would that have diminished the impact of the action?
2. Find three other symbols or symbolic actions and give a brief account of them and what they represent. (for example: the diamond necklace Othello gives Constance or the gold pen at the end of the drama).
3. Why do writers use symbols or symbolic actions? How does it add to the depth or coherence of a piece of literature? Give some examples of symbols in a piece of literature or film and explain what they mean to you and if they are effective for conveying meaning.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 3, Scene 1, Constance delivers a monologue, which is a dramatic devise. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. What is a monologue? Why would a playwright have a character deliver a monologue? Do you think monologues keep the audience attention as well as dialogue?
2. How many monologues are there in GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA? What is the purpose of two of those monologues? Are they effective?
3. If you were going to rewrite one of the longer monologues in GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA into dialogue, would you be able to impart as much information as in a monologue? Give an example of a monologue and what information in the monologue would be difficult to reveal in dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
An in-depth understanding of GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA partly hinges on understanding the corresponding characters from Shakespeare's plays Romeo and Juliet and Othello. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-organized essay using detailed examples from the text and your research to support your statements.
1. Compare and contrast the character of Desdemona from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and OTHELLO by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
2. Compare and contrast the character of Juliet from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and ROMEO AND JULIET by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
3. Compare and contrast the character of Romeo from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and ROMEO AND JULIET by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)