|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Othello make Iago do?
2. When she begins to speak in perfect blank verse, what does Constance wonder?
3. In what does Constance intervene?
4. Why does Constance think Romeo and Othello are not tragic figures?
5. Who delivers a monologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of Nurse's blank verse musings?
2. What happens to Constance at the end of this scene and what is her interpretation of it?
3. How does Othello punish Iago and is the punishment fitting?
4. What happens as Constance is reading OTHELLO from her complete works of Shakespeare?
5. What idea does Constance develop in writing her dissertation at the opening of this scene?
6. What is happening as Constance arrives in Verona and what does she do about it?
7. What mistake does Romeo make, and then what does Constance do?
8. What happens in the scene with the pet turtle and how is this symbolic of Romeo and Juliet's relationship?
9. What effect does Constance's dramatic appearance in the middle of the argument between Mercutio and Romeo?
10. Is Constance successful in changing OTHELLO from a tragedy and what might this mean for the Gustav Manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA belongs to the genre of drama. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. What do you think is the definition of drama? Write out your definition and then look up the definition in a literary dictionary. How similar are the two definitions?
2. Drama is written with the intention that it will be performed. How do you think this influences the manner in which the plot unfolds, the dialogue, the set complexity, the number of characters, and the length?
3. Compare GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA to a short story. What are the differences? The similarities? Which do you enjoy reading the most?
Essay Topic 2
An in-depth understanding of GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA partly hinges on understanding the corresponding characters from Shakespeare's plays Romeo and Juliet and Othello. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-organized essay using detailed examples from the text and your research to support your statements.
1. Compare and contrast the character of Desdemona from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and OTHELLO by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
2. Compare and contrast the character of Juliet from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and ROMEO AND JULIET by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
3. Compare and contrast the character of Romeo from the plays GOODNIGHT DESDEMONA by MacDonald and ROMEO AND JULIET by Shakespeare. Add a concluding paragraph as to which character from the plays is more interesting and has more depth.
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a prominent theme in the Scenes that take place in Verona. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Do you believe any of the characters in this play are actually homosexual? Who? Why do you believe so? If not, why not? Support your statements with specific detail from the text.
2. Do you believe this play is homophobic or accepting of homosexuality? Explain your statements with specific examples.
3. Would it make any difference as to how you interpret the homosexual theme if you knew that the author is a publicly self-proclaimed lesbian? How would that change the way you interpreted the homosexual overtones?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)