Act 1, The Dumbshow
• The Dumbshow consists of three simultaneous vignettes displayed without speech.
• In the first vignette Othello murders Desdemona in her bedchamber by smothering her with a pillow.
• In the second vignette Romeo lies dead in a crypt as Juliet awakens, mourns, and kills herself with a rapier.
• In the third vignette Constance Ledbelly sits in her office having a telephone conversation
• Constance hangs up the telephone, throws her pen and the leather-bound Gustav Manuscript into the trash and exits her office.
Act 1, The Prologue
• The chorus enters Constance's office, lights a cigarette and delivers a monologue.
• The chorus states that a unified soul can be constructed from shards just as gold can be derived from base metal through the utilization of the Philosopher's Stone.
• The chorus notes that the Gustav manuscript is Constance's Philosopher's Stone.
• The chorus stubs out the cigarette and exits.
Act 1, Scene 1
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)