|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandmother do once she is back in the car?
2. Who gave The Misfit his name?
3. What does Grandmother tell the Misfit when he starts to talk about his family?
4. What does Grandmother say when she sees a black child sitting on a front porch?
5. What does the Misfit do when Grandmother begins to cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance does Baby have on the story?
2. Why do you think both Grandmother and Mother remain unnamed throughout the book?
3. Does O'Connor give Misfit some redeeming qualities?
4. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
5. Describe the character of John Wesley.
6. In what way does O'Connor describe the three men approaching their car in ominous terms?
7. How does O'Connor express the generation gap between Grandmother and the rest of the family?
8. Describe Misfit's bad experiences as a child.
9. Why were the fifties such an important transitional period?
10. Describe Misfit's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine you were faced with a serial killer. How would you react? Where do you think Bailey and his family went wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Serial killers are often represented in popular culture. Using two examples from the book argue your case for or against the Misfit being a typical representation of a serial killer?
Essay Topic 3
Grandmother and her son Bailey share a difficult relationship. How does O'Connor express their relationship. What do you think is the history between the two characters? Do you think Grandmother expresses true sorrow at her son's death?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)