|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in the car?
2. Who says "I wouldn't take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it. I couldn't answer to my conscience if I did."?
3. What does Grandmother blame the state of the country on?
4. What does Baily begin to ask for?
5. What does Grandmother have tied in her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
2. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
3. What is the significance of Grandmother wanting to paint the black child she sees sitting on the porch?
4. Describe Bailey's relationship with his mother?
5. In what way does O'Connor present the Grandmother as no better than the Misfit?
6. How is O'Connor's portrayal of a serial killer unconventional?
7. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
8. In what way does the Grandmother foreshadow their deaths?
9. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
10. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think O'Connor portrays the family members, including the main character, so negatively? What impact does it have on the story's meaning? How did you feel about their deaths?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between a novel and a novella in regards to:
Essay Topic 3
O'Connor does not give either the mother or Grandmother real names. What is the reason O'Connor does not give them names? Why do you think only the female characters do not have names?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)