|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandmother say they can get to the plantation?
2. Why does Grandmother lie about the silver?
3. What does the Misfit do when Grandmother touches him on the shoulder?
4. How many children does Bailey have?
5. What does the Misfit ask Mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
2. Is it significant Misfit claims he cannot remember his crime?
3. How is O'Connor's portrayal of a serial killer unconventional?
4. Why does not O'Connor tell the reader what Bailey says to his mother?
5. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
6. Why do you think Grandmother smuggles the cat into the car?
7. Do you think O'Connor's portrayal of her character's is sympathetic?
8. How would you describe the characteristics of the Grandmother?
9. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
10. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
Essay Topic 1
Serial killers are often represented in popular culture. Using two examples from the book argue your case for or against the Misfit being a typical representation of a serial killer?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the story and write his or hers background, motivation and character conflict. How would the story change if they were not there?
Essay Topic 3
O'Connor uses many similes. What effect do the similes have on the tone of the story? How and when does she use them? Take two examples and imagine similes were not used at that point. How does the story's meaning change?
This section contains 1,436 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)