|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far back do they have to travel to get back to the dirt road?
2. Why does the driver want John to stay with his mother?
3. What do the children do on the journey?
4. Why is Bailey so impatient?
5. How would John Wesley deal with the misfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Misfit interpretation of the bible contrast to the Grandmother's?
2. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
3. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
4. What does the story about the melon say about Grandmother's character?
5. What importance does Baby have on the story?
6. Why do you think that the Misfit cannot remember the reason he is in prison?
7. Describe Bailey's relationship with his mother?
8. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
9. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
10. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
Essay Topic 1
O'Connor does not give either the mother or Grandmother real names. What is the reason O'Connor does not give them names? Why do you think only the female characters do not have names?
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother and her son Bailey share a difficult relationship. How does O'Connor express their relationship. What do you think is the history between the two characters? Do you think Grandmother expresses true sorrow at her son's death?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character from the story and write his or hers background, motivation and character conflict. How would the story change if they were not there?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)