|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bailey fall to when the car turns over?
2. Why does the Grandmother want to get the children on her side?
3. What does the Grandmother initially remember about the plantation?
4. What is the name of the owner of the Tower restaurant?
5. What do they eat at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Grandmother's death affect the Misfit?
2. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
3. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
4. What is the significance of June Star tap dancing in the restaurant?
5. Why does not O'Connor tell the reader what Bailey says to his mother?
6. What does the story about the melon say about Grandmother's character?
7. Why do you think that the Misfit cannot remember the reason he is in prison?
8. How does The Misfit give the Grandmother salvation?
9. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
10. In what ways do the children show a lack of respect for their elders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character from the story and write his or hers background, motivation and character conflict. How would the story change if they were not there?
Essay Topic 2
Study the Misfit's life. What is his background? What is his character conflict? What is his motivation to kill?
Essay Topic 3
The Misfit has more of an affinity with women than he does with men. Using two examples from the book discuss the Misfit's relationship with women. Why do you think he mistrusts both men and children?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)