|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Grandmother says Misfit won't shoot her?
2. What does Grandmother tell the Misfit when he starts to talk about his family?
3. Who says the following line "there never was a body that give the undertaker a tip?"
4. What does Red Sammy agree with Grandmother about?
5. What does Grandmother say when The Misfit apologizes for not wearing a shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does O'Connor describe the three men approaching their car in ominous terms?
2. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
3. What is the significance of Grandmother wanting to paint the black child she sees sitting on the porch?
4. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
5. What is the significance of June Star tap dancing in the restaurant?
6. How do you think the Grandmother interprets the bible?
7. What do you think Misfit's relationship is with women?
8. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
9. How does O'Connor represent the older generation in the book?
10. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of dialect. Do you think the dialect is an accurate portrayal of how southerners speak? What meaning does the dialect give to the story and characters? What do you think the story would either gain or lose by having no dialect?
Essay Topic 2
Critically examine the negative and positive points of A Good Man is Hard to Find. Is it an accurate portrayal of a fifties family? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
Essay Topic 3
Examine O'Connor's writing style.
1) What kind of language does she use? What meaning does it have on the story?
2) What do you think the themes of the story say about O'Connor as a person. Do she seem comfortable with these themes?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)