|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave The Misfit his name?
2. What is the name of the restaurant the family stop at?
3. Why does Jane Star say the Grandmother will go on the trip?
4. Who does the Misfit tell his men to take into the woods?
5. Why does Grandmother take her cat onto the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
2. How does Bailey's negative attitude towards his mother affect her?
3. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
4. Describe Misfit's bad experiences as a child.
5. Why does Grandmother tell the Misfit to take one of Bailey's shirts from his suitcase?
6. Describe what Grandmother is wearing in the car?
7. Why were the fifties such an important transitional period?
8. How does the Misfit interpretation of the bible contrast to the Grandmother's?
9. Describe the character of June Star
10. How does The Misfit give the Grandmother salvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connor portrays the dynamics of a family in the fifties. What was the dynamics of a family in the fifties? How did it reflect life in the fifties? How is it different to families today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine O'Connor's writing style.
1) What kind of language does she use? What meaning does it have on the story?
2) What do you think the themes of the story say about O'Connor as a person. Do she seem comfortable with these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The short story is set in the 1950s. What concerns and political problems were there in the fifties? Does O'Connor reflect them in the book?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)