|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Misfit ask Mother?
2. Why is John Wesley anxious to get through Georgia?
3. What does Hiram have with him?
4. Why does the Grandmother want to get the children on her side?
5. What does Grandmother do once she is back in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that O'Connor does not describe the appearance of the Misfits two friends?
2. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
3. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
4. In what way does the Grandmother change moments before she dies?
5. Why does not O'Connor tell the reader what Bailey says to his mother?
6. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
7. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
8. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
9. How is O'Connor's portrayal of a serial killer unconventional?
10. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you were faced with a serial killer. How would you react? Where do you think Bailey and his family went wrong?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between a novel and a novella in regards to:
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)