|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandmother tell the Misfit when he starts to talk about his family?
2. Where does Bailey fall to when the car turns over?
3. What does the Grandmother tell the Misfit for the second time as Bailey and John are being lead away?
4. What does Misfit instruct his men to do with Grandmother's body?
5. What does Misfit continue to do when he hears the two gun shots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does not O'Connor tell the reader what Bailey says to his mother?
2. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
3. In what way is it ironic that the Grandmother decided to take the cat on the trip?
4. How does the Misfit interpretation of the bible contrast to the Grandmother's?
5. Is it significant Misfit claims he cannot remember his crime?
6. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
7. Is it significant that Misfit is not wearing a shirt?
8. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
9. What do you think Misfit's relationship is with women?
10. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study the Misfit's life. What is his background? What is his character conflict? What is his motivation to kill?
Essay Topic 2
O'Connor portrays the dynamics of a family in the fifties. What was the dynamics of a family in the fifties? How did it reflect life in the fifties? How is it different to families today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between a novel and a novella in regards to:
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)