|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has The Misfit forgotten?
2. What does Grandmother tell Bailey hides behind trees?
3. What does Grandmother say when she sees a black child sitting on a front porch?
4. Why are the children disappointed?
5. Why does the Misfit want to have witnessed Jesus' resurrection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of June Star
2. Do you think O'Connor's portrayal of her character's is sympathetic?
3. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
4. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
5. What is the significance of John Wesley's name?
6. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
7. Describe what Grandmother is wearing in the car?
8. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
9. Why do you think the Grandmother tries to persuade the Misfit to pray?
10. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Misfit's time in jail. How do you think it affected him? Does O'Connor portray his time in jail as a help to him? What does it say about the state of prisons in the fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Serial killers are often represented in popular culture. Using two examples from the book argue your case for or against the Misfit being a typical representation of a serial killer?
Essay Topic 3
There is a huge generation gap between the family members in the story. What are the differences between the generations? How does O'Connor show the difference between the generations? Can the family relate to each other?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)