|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does O'Connor say Grandmother's face looks like when she is lying in the ditch?
2. What does the cat jump onto?
3. What does Grandmother's kick release from the valise?
4. What are the names of the two men traveling with the Misfit?
5. What two people return from the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
2. Why is significant that June refers to Bobby Lee as a pig?
3. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
4. In what way does O'Connor present the Grandmother as no better than the Misfit?
5. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
6. How is O'Connor's portrayal of a serial killer unconventional?
7. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
8. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
9. Do you think O'Connor's portrayal of her character's is sympathetic?
10. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O'Connor portrays the dynamics of a family in the fifties. What was the dynamics of a family in the fifties? How did it reflect life in the fifties? How is it different to families today?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the story and write his or hers background, motivation and character conflict. How would the story change if they were not there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Misfit's time in jail. How do you think it affected him? Does O'Connor portray his time in jail as a help to him? What does it say about the state of prisons in the fifties?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)