|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does June Star not want to hold hands with?
2. What is the name of the Grandmother's son?
3. What does Bobby Lee say about the killings?
4. Where is the plantation Grandmother can remember?
5. What kind of bird is printed on Bailey's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is O'Connor's portrayal of a serial killer unconventional?
2. How would you describe the characteristics of the Grandmother?
3. Why do you think that the Misfit cannot remember the reason he is in prison?
4. Why is Grandmother so delighted that the Misfit suddenly shows an interest in Jesus?
5. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
6. How does Bailey's negative attitude towards his mother affect her?
7. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
8. Is it significant that Misfit is not wearing a shirt?
9. Do you think O'Connor's portrayal of her character's is sympathetic?
10. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Misfit has more of an affinity with women than he does with men. Using two examples from the book discuss the Misfit's relationship with women. Why do you think he mistrusts both men and children?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think O'Connor portrays the family members, including the main character, so negatively? What impact does it have on the story's meaning? How did you feel about their deaths?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)