|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Misfit say to Grandmother when she tells him he is good?
2. Who is interested in the silver?
3. What does the Misfit tell the family once they know his identity?
4. What year was the story first published?
5. What does Grandmother say to the Misfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
2. In what way does Grandmother's death affect the Misfit?
3. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
4. Is it significant that Misfit is not wearing a shirt?
5. In what ways do the children show a lack of respect for their elders?
6. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
7. How do you think the Grandmother interprets the bible?
8. Describe Bailey's relationship with his mother?
9. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
10. In what way does the Grandmother change moments before she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think O'Connor portrays the family members, including the main character, so negatively? What impact does it have on the story's meaning? How did you feel about their deaths?
Essay Topic 3
The Misfit has more of an affinity with women than he does with men. Using two examples from the book discuss the Misfit's relationship with women. Why do you think he mistrusts both men and children?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)