|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Red Sammy say about the Misfit?
2. What does John Wesley ask about?
3. What does the Misfit tell the family once they know his identity?
4. What has The Misfit forgotten?
5. How does Grandmother try to reason with the Misfit?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the Grandmother foreshadow their deaths?
2. Is it significant Misfit claims he cannot remember his crime?
3. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
4. Why is Grandmother so delighted that the Misfit suddenly shows an interest in Jesus?
5. In what way does O'Connor describe the three men approaching their car in ominous terms?
6. Why do you think that O'Connor does not describe the appearance of the Misfits two friends?
7. In what way is it ironic that the Grandmother decided to take the cat on the trip?
8. What is the significance of June Star tap dancing in the restaurant?
9. Describe the character of June Star
10. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
Essay Topic 1
O'Connor does not give either the mother or Grandmother real names. What is the reason O'Connor does not give them names? Why do you think only the female characters do not have names?
Essay Topic 2
The story occasionally expresses Grandmother's character as a racist, though she seems to deny it. What to you think grandmother saw and was taught to think to come to such a point of view? Was it a problem in the South at that time? Can a person change if they deny their true feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character from the story and write his or hers background, motivation and character conflict. How would the story change if they were not there?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)