|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandmother respond to John Wesley's statement that he wants to get out of Georgia?
2. What does the Grandmother scream as Bailey is being led away?
3. What does Grandmother say when she sees a black child sitting on a front porch?
4. Why does the Grandmother want to get the children on her side?
5. What does the Misfit call the psychiatrist at the penitentiary?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
2. How would you describe the characteristics of the Grandmother?
3. How does The Misfit give the Grandmother salvation?
4. In what way is it ironic that the Grandmother decided to take the cat on the trip?
5. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
6. How does Bailey's negative attitude towards his mother affect her?
7. What is the significance of June Star tap dancing in the restaurant?
8. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
9. What does it say about Grandmother that she cannot keep Misfit's name to herself?
10. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Serial killers are often represented in popular culture. Using two examples from the book argue your case for or against the Misfit being a typical representation of a serial killer?
Essay Topic 2
O'Connor uses many similes. What effect do the similes have on the tone of the story? How and when does she use them? Take two examples and imagine similes were not used at that point. How does the story's meaning change?
Essay Topic 3
Examine O'Connor's writing style.
1) What kind of language does she use? What meaning does it have on the story?
2) What do you think the themes of the story say about O'Connor as a person. Do she seem comfortable with these themes?
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)