|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the children's initial reaction to the accident?
2. Who does not like taking the cat on trips?
3. What does Grandmother say when the Misfit says only Jesus can raise the dead?
4. Where does Grandmother fall to when the car turns over?
5. Who told The Misfit that he had killed his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
2. What is the significance of Grandmother wanting to paint the black child she sees sitting on the porch?
3. What do you think is the story's real meaning?
4. Why does Grandmother tell the Misfit to take one of Bailey's shirts from his suitcase?
5. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
6. Why do you think the Grandmother tries to persuade the Misfit to pray?
7. Why were the fifties such an important transitional period?
8. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
9. In what way does O'Connor describe the three men approaching their car in ominous terms?
10. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine O'Connor's writing style.
1) What kind of language does she use? What meaning does it have on the story?
2) What do you think the themes of the story say about O'Connor as a person. Do she seem comfortable with these themes?
Essay Topic 2
The short story is set in the 1950s. What concerns and political problems were there in the fifties? Does O'Connor reflect them in the book?
Essay Topic 3
O'Connor does not give either the mother or Grandmother real names. What is the reason O'Connor does not give them names? Why do you think only the female characters do not have names?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)