|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Bailey's oldest son?
2. What does Baily begin to ask for?
3. What does Misfit say his father died of?
4. What sound follows a scream in the woods?
5. What does the Misfit do when Grandmother recognizes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways do the children show a lack of respect for their elders?
2. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
3. Describe what Grandmother is wearing in the car?
4. Why does Grandmother tell the Misfit to take one of Bailey's shirts from his suitcase?
5. Why were the fifties such an important transitional period?
6. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
7. In what way does the Grandmother foreshadow their deaths?
8. Describe the character of John Wesley.
9. Why do you think the Grandmother tries to persuade the Misfit to pray?
10. How does The Misfit give the Grandmother salvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Misfit's time in jail. How do you think it affected him? Does O'Connor portray his time in jail as a help to him? What does it say about the state of prisons in the fifties?
Essay Topic 2
Critically examine the negative and positive points of A Good Man is Hard to Find. Is it an accurate portrayal of a fifties family? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)