|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandmother say when the Misfit says only Jesus can raise the dead?
2. Who told The Misfit that he had killed his father?
3. What does Grandmother have tied in her hair?
4. How does Grandmother say they can get to the plantation?
5. What does Bailey scream towards his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the Grandmother tries to persuade the Misfit to pray?
2. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
3. What is the significance of John Wesley's name?
4. Describe the character of June Star
5. In what ways do the children show a lack of respect for their elders?
6. Why do you think the Misfit does not kill Grandmother until the end?
7. Why do you think Grandmother smuggles the cat into the car?
8. Why is significant that June refers to Bobby Lee as a pig?
9. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
10. What importance does Baby have on the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The short story is set in the 1950s. What concerns and political problems were there in the fifties? Does O'Connor reflect them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think O'Connor portrays the family members, including the main character, so negatively? What impact does it have on the story's meaning? How did you feel about their deaths?
Essay Topic 3
Critically examine the negative and positive points of A Good Man is Hard to Find. Is it an accurate portrayal of a fifties family? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)