|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Bailey's wife?
2. What does Bobby Lee say about the killings?
3. What does Misfit continue to do when he hears the two gun shots?
4. What does Grandmother offer to do to keep them quiet?
5. Where is the Misfit heading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it significant Misfit claims he cannot remember his crime?
2. How does the Misfit interpretation of the bible contrast to the Grandmother's?
3. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
4. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
5. What does Grandmother mean when she says that Misfit is one of her own children?
6. Is it significant that Misfit is not wearing a shirt?
7. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
8. In what does the Grandmothers death force the Misfit to reexamine his life of crime?
9. Why do you think Grandmother smuggles the cat into the car?
10. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think O'Connor portrays the family members, including the main character, so negatively? What impact does it have on the story's meaning? How did you feel about their deaths?
Essay Topic 2
O'Connor uses many similes. What effect do the similes have on the tone of the story? How and when does she use them? Take two examples and imagine similes were not used at that point. How does the story's meaning change?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)