|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Grandmother initially remember about the plantation?
2. What does Grandma touch?
3. What is the name of Grandmother's cat?
4. What do they hear from the woods?
5. What does the Misfit call the psychiatrist at the penitentiary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
2. How does the Misfit interpretation of the bible contrast to the Grandmother's?
3. What is the significance of John Wesley's name?
4. How does Bailey's negative attitude towards his mother affect her?
5. Is it significant Misfit claims he cannot remember his crime?
6. Do you think O'Connor's portrayal of her character's is sympathetic?
7. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
8. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
9. What do you think Misfit's relationship is with women?
10. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The short story is set in the 1950s. What concerns and political problems were there in the fifties? Does O'Connor reflect them in the book?
Essay Topic 2The Misfit has more of an affinity with women than he does with men. Using two examples from the book discuss the Misfit's relationship with women. Why do you think he mistrusts both men and children?
Essay Topic 3Study the Misfit's life. What is his background? What is his character conflict? What is his motivation to kill?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)