|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bailey's wife do on the way down to Florida?
2. What does Grandmother remind Bailey about on the journey?
3. What does the Grandmother tell the Misfit for the second time as Bailey and John are being lead away?
4. Why does Grandmother lie about the silver?
5. What does Hiram have with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
2. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
3. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
4. How does O'Connor represent the older generation in the book?
5. What is the significance of Grandmother wanting to paint the black child she sees sitting on the porch?
6. Why were the fifties such an important transitional period?
7. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
8. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
9. Describe the character of June Star
10. In what way does Grandmother's death affect the Misfit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The short story is set in the 1950s. What concerns and political problems were there in the fifties? Does O'Connor reflect them in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine O'Connor's writing style.
1) What kind of language does she use? What meaning does it have on the story?
2) What do you think the themes of the story say about O'Connor as a person. Do she seem comfortable with these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Study the Misfit's life. What is his background? What is his character conflict? What is his motivation to kill?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)