|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does his mother say he cannot sneak anything into the house?
2. Who does the Misfit tell his men to take into the woods?
3. How does O'Connor describe the Misfit's car?
4. What year was the story first published?
5. What does Misfit continue to do when he hears the two gun shots?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the Grandmother interprets the bible?
2. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
3. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
4. Why do you think Grandmother smuggles the cat into the car?
5. In what way does Grandmother's death affect the Misfit?
6. Why do you think that the Misfit cannot remember the reason he is in prison?
7. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
8. Describe Misfit's life?
9. Why do Grandmother and Red Sammy get along so well?
10. How would you describe the characteristics of the Grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Grandmother and the Misfit relate so well to each other? Do they share similar characteristics? Why does the Misfit kill her at the end?
Essay Topic 2
The story occasionally expresses Grandmother's character as a racist, though she seems to deny it. What to you think grandmother saw and was taught to think to come to such a point of view? Was it a problem in the South at that time? Can a person change if they deny their true feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Misfit's time in jail. How do you think it affected him? Does O'Connor portray his time in jail as a help to him? What does it say about the state of prisons in the fifties?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)