|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Bailey's oldest son?
2. What does Bailey say about Georgia?
3. Where do the children fall to when the car turns over?
4. What is the name of the restaurant the family stop at?
5. Who gave The Misfit his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
2. What do you think the children grown up to be like if they had lived?
3. Do you think Grandmother is really that worried about meeting the Misfit in Florida?
4. Why is significant that June refers to Bobby Lee as a pig?
5. Is it significant that Misfit is not wearing a shirt?
6. Describe the character of John Wesley.
7. Describe Bailey's relationship with his mother?
8. Why do you think that the Misfit cannot remember the reason he is in prison?
9. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
10. Why does Grandmother tell the Misfit to take one of Bailey's shirts from his suitcase?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a huge generation gap between the family members in the story. What are the differences between the generations? How does O'Connor show the difference between the generations? Can the family relate to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Grandmother and her son Bailey share a difficult relationship. How does O'Connor express their relationship. What do you think is the history between the two characters? Do you think Grandmother expresses true sorrow at her son's death?
Essay Topic 3
The story occasionally expresses Grandmother's character as a racist, though she seems to deny it. What to you think grandmother saw and was taught to think to come to such a point of view? Was it a problem in the South at that time? Can a person change if they deny their true feelings?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)