|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the baby doing before they kill him?
2. What does the driver tell John to do?
3. What kind of people does Grandmother say the Misfit comes from?
4. Who says "I wouldn't take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it. I couldn't answer to my conscience if I did."?
5. What two people return from the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance does Baby have on the story?
2. What do you think Misfit's relationship is with women?
3. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
4. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
5. How does O'Connor express the generation gap between Grandmother and the rest of the family?
6. What is the significance of June Star tap dancing in the restaurant?
7. Is it significant that the Misfit puts on Bailey's shirt?
8. Is Grandmother a selfish person?
9. Describe Misfit's bad experiences as a child.
10. Describe what Grandmother is wearing in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story occasionally expresses Grandmother's character as a racist, though she seems to deny it. What to you think grandmother saw and was taught to think to come to such a point of view? Was it a problem in the South at that time? Can a person change if they deny their true feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Grandmother and the Misfit relate so well to each other? Do they share similar characteristics? Why does the Misfit kill her at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between a novel and a novella in regards to:
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)