|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Misfit do with the shirt?
2. Between what two people does Grandmother sit during the trip?
3. What reason does Grandmother say a black boy ate the melon?
4. What does the grandmother tell them about as they turn around?
5. What does the Misfit apologize to the women about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do think Bailey agrees with his son that Georgia is not a good state to live in?
2. How does O'Connor represent the older generation in the book?
3. Why do you think Grandmother blames Europe for Americas problems?
4. In what way does Grandmother manipulate Bailey to visit the plantation?
5. In what way does the Grandmother foreshadow their deaths?
6. Why do you think Bailey has such a negative attitude towards his mother?
7. Why do you think the Grandmother tries to persuade the Misfit to pray?
8. In what way is it ironic that the Grandmother decided to take the cat on the trip?
9. What is the significance of Grandmother wanting to paint the black child she sees sitting on the porch?
10. What does Grandmother mean when she says that Misfit is one of her own children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Misfit has more of an affinity with women than he does with men. Using two examples from the book discuss the Misfit's relationship with women. Why do you think he mistrusts both men and children?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Grandmother redeems herself and dies with a smile on her face. In what ways does O'Connor represent Grandmother as a character who needs to redeem herself? Why is it important she redeems herself?
Essay Topic 3
Critically examine the negative and positive points of A Good Man is Hard to Find. Is it an accurate portrayal of a fifties family? Does it have dramatic impact? Are the characters well drawn?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)