|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did The Misfit say he and his friends got there clothes?
2. What would Edgar bring Grandmother every morning?
3. What does Red Sammy say about the Misfit?
4. What does John want to sneak inside the house?
5. Why does Grandmother hope she is injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does The Misfit give the Grandmother salvation?
2. Describe the Misfit's appearance?
3. Why do you think the Misfit does not kill Grandmother until the end?
4. What does the Misfit's description of the penitentiary's walls say about him?
5. Describe Misfit's bad experiences as a child.
6. Why do you think children make the Misfit nervous?
7. How is it significant Grandmother looks at Misfit when she screams her son's name?
8. Do you think the family respects Grandmother?
9. In what way does the Grandmother change moments before she dies?
10. What is the significance of John Wesley's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine you were faced with a serial killer. How would you react? Where do you think Bailey and his family went wrong?
Essay Topic 2
The story occasionally expresses Grandmother's character as a racist, though she seems to deny it. What to you think grandmother saw and was taught to think to come to such a point of view? Was it a problem in the South at that time? Can a person change if they deny their true feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Misfit's time in jail. How do you think it affected him? Does O'Connor portray his time in jail as a help to him? What does it say about the state of prisons in the fifties?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)