|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What near mishap occurs with Ron one morning?
2. How does the relationship end?
3. What effect does everything have on Neil at this time?
4. What disappointing news does Neil get from Brenda?
5. Why does Brenda chase Julie upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the strange scene when Ron invites Neil into his room to hear his recording.
2. Describe the domestic scene between Brenda and Neil the following morning.
3. What is the result of Neil's prayer in St. Patrick's cathedral?
4. What is strange about Mr. Patimkin's behavior at the wedding reception?
5. How does Mrs. Patimkin again use Neil as sort of a servant?
6. How does Neil get his hopes up only to be dashed again?
7. What is missing at the library now?
8. What key event happens in Ron's room?
9. As Neil and Brenda talk, what changes in the way they describe their relationship?
10. What is making Mr. Patimkin sad about bringing Ron into the family business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In GOOD-BYE COLUMBUS the question of the diaphragm had to do with unwanted pregnancies. Today there are additional concerns regarding protection. Write your opinion of how different the attitudes of Neil and Brenda might be today.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper pointing out the similarities and differences between Mrs. Patimkin and Aunt Gladys. Specifically, show how their attitudes are similar though from a different point on the social scale.
Essay Topic 3
Explain whether you agree that Ron's behavior indicates that he is immature and not ready to become a husband and father. Give examples from passages in the book.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)