|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the end of Neil's week at the Patimkin house?
2. What does Neil think about as he drives into the area of the business?
3. When does Neil tell Brenda he loves her?
4. What does Mrs. Patimkin ask Neil if he wants to join?
5. When Brenda is modeling her bridesmaid dress, what does Harriet say to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brenda show Neil behind a door in his room he thought was a closet?
2. What is the result of Neil's prayer in St. Patrick's cathedral?
3. What is missing at the library now?
4. What are Aunt Gladys' two main concerns when Neil calls to say his vacation is extended to Labor Day?
5. As Neil and Brenda talk, what changes in the way they describe their relationship?
6. What is Neil's mood the fall after Brenda returns to school?
7. What is the cause of the commotion downstairs as Neil is unpacking in the guest room?
8. How does Brenda express her contempt for Harriet?
9. What is it like when Neil and Brenda finally meet up in New York?
10. Describe the domestic scene between Brenda and Neil the following morning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether you agree that Ron's behavior indicates that he is immature and not ready to become a husband and father. Give examples from passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how the young boy in the library parallels Neil in terms of dreams and desires. Explain why Neil is so understanding of him and finally thinks it is best that he stopped looking at the Gauguin prints.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short, short story about Ron and Harriet after the wedding. Use you imagination and what you know about them from the novel to predict how stable their marriage might be and what happens to them later.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)