|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Patimkin tell Brenda she should do?
2. What does Neil ask Mrs. Patimkin if she has read?
3. What does Neil hear coming from Ron's room one night?
4. What is the weather like in Newark when Neil drives to the mountains to see the deer?
5. When Brenda is modeling her bridesmaid dress, what does Harriet say to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Aunt Gladys' two main concerns when Neil calls to say his vacation is extended to Labor Day?
2. Why does Neil see Harriet as a perfect match for Ron?
3. Describe the domestic scene between Brenda and Neil the following morning.
4. What is odd about Neil's and Brenda's love making after she gets the diaphragm?
5. What does Brenda show Neil behind a door in his room he thought was a closet?
6. How does Brenda express her contempt for Harriet?
7. Why does Brenda get upset in the storage room?
8. What key event happens in Ron's room?
9. How does Brenda suggest she make an athlete out of Neil?
10. What is missing at the library now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about a Jewish wedding ceremony. For those who are not Jewish, there is plenty of material to research. Write specifically about the symbolism that takes place during the ceremony.
Essay Topic 2
Locate symbolism in the book and explain the examples you choose. For example, what is the symbolism of the young boy growling at the lion statues in front of the library? Find and explain at least two others.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the young boy in the library parallels Neil in terms of dreams and desires. Explain why Neil is so understanding of him and finally thinks it is best that he stopped looking at the Gauguin prints.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)