|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promotion has more or less been promised to Neil?
2. What shows Brenda's independence at the Country Club pool?
3. What shows Neil's eagerness to see Brenda?
4. What comment does Neil make to Brenda about her mother.
5. How is dinner different at the Patimkin's house from the dinner at Aunt Gladys' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the young African-American boy Neil encounters in front of the library.
2. How does Neil feel sitting at the table with the Patimkin family?
3. Describe Neil's family in Newark.
4. How does Neil see Mr. Patimkin when he meets him at dinner?
5. How does the reader know that Neil is restless and bored babysitting Julie?
6. Discuss the competitive nature of Brenda.
7. What is learned about Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Neil and Brenda have outside under a tree?
8. Why is Neil not conscious of class distinctions?
9. Describe the action between Neil and Brenda on the second day at the pool.
10. What does the basement reveal about he Patimkin family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Aunt Gladys in a paper that discusses her attitude toward the Patimkins who no longer live above their store. Explain whether you think she might have a different perspective if Uncle Max had become wealthy like Mr. Patimkin.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how the young boy in the library parallels Neil in terms of dreams and desires. Explain why Neil is so understanding of him and finally thinks it is best that he stopped looking at the Gauguin prints.
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think Roth depicts Mrs. Patimkin? Is she three dimensional in the book? Why is her first name never mentioned?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)