|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the house of Neil Klugman's aunt and uncle where he lives?
2. What is the main topic of conversation when the family does speak?
3. When Neill finally stops at Brenda's house, where does he find her?
4. What do Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin have in common that is different from Neil?
5. How is Brenda dressed for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there that Brenda is driven by appearances?
2. Explain the social and economic difference between Brenda and Neil.
3. Why is Neil not conscious of class distinctions?
4. What is a noticeable difference between dinner at the Patimkins' house and dinner in the Klugman house?
5. Describe the young African-American boy Neil encounters in front of the library.
6. What is Mrs. Patimkin's athletic involvement?
7. What does Brenda do that suggests she is very infatuated with Neil?
8. How has the relationship developed between Neil and Brenda?
9. Early in the story what gives Neil away as a consummate romantic?
10. How does Neil see Mr. Patimkin when he meets him at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how the young boy in the library parallels Neil in terms of dreams and desires. Explain why Neil is so understanding of him and finally thinks it is best that he stopped looking at the Gauguin prints.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about world travel as a good education. Refer to Neil's being comfortable around all social classes of people as an example.
Essay Topic 3
In GOOD-BYE COLUMBUS the question of the diaphragm had to do with unwanted pregnancies. Today there are additional concerns regarding protection. Write your opinion of how different the attitudes of Neil and Brenda might be today.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)