|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a typical dinner at Aunt Gladys' house?
2. When Neil says the Patimkins do not live over their store, what does Aunt Gladys say?
3. How does Mrs. Patimkin further interfere with Neil and Brenda?
4. What does Neil do from his desk on the main floor?
5. What does Neil find in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the young African-American boy Neil encounters in front of the library.
2. What rather strange job is given Neil the evening after the dinner?
3. Explain a commonality between Neil and the boy.
4. Describe the action between Neil and Brenda on the second day at the pool.
5. What is learned about Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Neil and Brenda have outside under a tree?
6. Contrast Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Gladys and Neil have about the Patimkin house.
7. Describe Neil's family in Newark.
8. Explain the social and economic difference between Brenda and Neil.
9. What does the basement reveal about he Patimkin family?
10. How is Julie's character further defined in the play room that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short, short story about Ron and Harriet after the wedding. Use you imagination and what you know about them from the novel to predict how stable their marriage might be and what happens to them later.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about world travel as a good education. Refer to Neil's being comfortable around all social classes of people as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Explain whether you agree that Ron's behavior indicates that he is immature and not ready to become a husband and father. Give examples from passages in the book.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)