|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the head librarian tell Neil just before he leaves on vacation?
(a) He says that if Neil goes now he will not have a job when he returns.
(b) He tells Neil that he is aiming too high and will get hurt.
(c) The head librarian tells Neil that after his vacation he will become reference librarian and receive a small raise.
(d) He tells Neil that he must get Patimkin to make a donation to the library.
2. What is the irony of the Patimkins' snobbery at Neil's living in Newark?
(a) They used to live in Newark before Mr. Patimkin became wealthy.
(b) Mr. Patimkin is a large donor to the library where Neil works.
(c) Mrs. Patimkin refuses to admit she was born there.
(d) They also have a house in Newark.
3. What do Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin have in common that is different from Neil?
(a) The women know their family roots but Neil does not.
(b) The women are very class and money conscious but Neil is not.
(c) The women are not patriotic but Neil is.
(d) The women are not religious but Neil is.
4. How is dinner different at the Patimkin's house from the dinner at Aunt Gladys' house?
(a) The Patimkins all dress for dinner.
(b) Aunt Gladys' dinner is more formal.
(c) The dinner is served by the maid, Carlotta.
(d) The Patimkins order in the dinner.
5. How does Neil feel being there as Julie's babysitter?
(a) He thinks he can get Julie to tell him family secrets.
(b) He feels like a poor relative.
(c) He is glad to do it because he will see Branda when she returns.
(d) He is bored and wants to go home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation when the family does speak?
2. How does Brenda feel about her mother?
3. Why does Neil say he lives with his aunt and uncle?
4. What shows Brenda's competitive nature?
5. What is the rule when Mr. Patimkin invites Neil to play basketball with him and Julie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Neil is restless and bored babysitting Julie?
2. What is a noticeable difference between dinner at the Patimkins' house and dinner in the Klugman house?
3. Contrast Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Gladys and Neil have about the Patimkin house.
4. Relate what happens when Neil finds a refrigerator in the other part of the basement.
5. Explain the social and economic difference between Brenda and Neil.
6. Discuss the competitive nature of Brenda.
7. Describe Brenda's neighborhood in Short Hills.
8. What is Mrs. Patimkin's athletic involvement?
9. What rather strange job is given Neil the evening after the dinner?
10. What is learned about Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Neil and Brenda have outside under a tree?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)