|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Gladys say she and Max were able to do because they lived over their store?
(a) Be their own security guards.
(b) Put Neil's cousin Susan through college.
(c) Invest in the stock market.
(d) Get to work on time.
2. What invitation does Brenda extend to Neil?
(a) An invitation to the opera.
(b) An invitation to dinner.
(c) An invitation to a picnic.
(d) An invitation to play tennis.
3. What was Mrs. Patimkin's connection to sports when she was younger?
(a) Mrs. Patimkin had been the best tennis player in the state at one time.
(b) She was a great golfer at one time.
(c) She played water polo in college.
(d) She ran in the Boston Marathon once.
4. Where does he say his parents live?
(d) The Bronx.
5. What shows Brenda's competitive nature?
(a) Brenda makes sure the score of each game is written down.
(b) Brenda is arguing that her last shot was in bounds.
(c) Brenda is ahead five games to four.
(d) Brenda does not notice Neil until the game is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Neil's behavior the morning after his dinner with the Patimkin family?
2. When Julie sees Neil get something from the refrigerator, what does she say?
3. What information does Neil get from Julie?
4. Besides attending Rutgers, what had Neil been doing in recent years?
5. Ironically, where is Mr. Patimkin's store that makes all the money for the family to live in Short Hills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the image the reader gets of Ron as he joins Neil and Brenda at the pool?
2. Why is Neil not conscious of class distinctions?
3. Describe Neil's family in Newark.
4. What is learned about Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Neil and Brenda have outside under a tree?
5. What does Neil tell Brenda about his family?
6. What rather strange job is given Neil the evening after the dinner?
7. Contrast Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Gladys and Neil have about the Patimkin house.
8. How has the relationship developed between Neil and Brenda?
9. Tell how the relationship has developed between Neil and the boy who comes to look at the Gauguin book.
10. Since they met that day at the Country Club, has Brenda forgotten the young man she asked to hold her glasses while she dived into the pool?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)