|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brenda ask about his cousin, Doris?
(a) What sorority she is a member of.
(b) What she looks like.
(c) Where she is attending school.
(d) If she has a fiance.
2. What was Neil's major in Rutgers?
(b) Library science.
3. What information does Neil get from Julie?
(a) That Brenda is engaged to be married.
(b) That Brenda has many boyfriends.
(c) That Mrs. Patimkin does not like him.
(d) That Ron is flying to Milwaukee to see Harriet.
4. Why does the boy not want to check out the Gauguin book after Neil promises to help him?
(a) He doesn't want the other boys to see what he is reading.
(b) He thinks it's too heavy to carry to his house.
(c) He fears it will get damaged in his house.
(d) He fears he might lose it and he cannot pay to replace it.
5. What is the irony of the Patimkins' snobbery at Neil's living in Newark?
(a) They also have a house in Newark.
(b) Mrs. Patimkin refuses to admit she was born there.
(c) They used to live in Newark before Mr. Patimkin became wealthy.
(d) Mr. Patimkin is a large donor to the library where Neil works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Characteristic of Mrs. Patimkin gives evidence of her more humble beginnings?
2. Why is Neil going to the Patimkin's house that evening?
3. Ironically, where is Mr. Patimkin's store that makes all the money for the family to live in Short Hills?
4. Where is the house of Neil Klugman's aunt and uncle where he lives?
5. What does Brenda allow Neil to do as they play in the pool?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brenda's neighborhood in Short Hills.
2. How does the reader know that Neil is restless and bored babysitting Julie?
3. Since they met that day at the Country Club, has Brenda forgotten the young man she asked to hold her glasses while she dived into the pool?
4. Contrast Aunt Gladys and Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Gladys and Neil have about the Patimkin house.
5. What is learned about Mrs. Patimkin from the conversation Neil and Brenda have outside under a tree?
6. How does the reader get introduced to ten-year-old Julie Patimkin?
7. Why is Neil not conscious of class distinctions?
8. What does Brenda do that suggests she is very infatuated with Neil?
9. Describe Neil's family in Newark.
10. Explain a commonality between Neil and the boy.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)