|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Characteristic of Mrs. Patimkin gives evidence of her more humble beginnings?
(a) She does not like to waste money.
(b) She wears bargain basement clothes.
(c) She does not like to throw anything away.
(d) She still does her own cooking and cleaning.
2. What question is raised in the reader's mind about Brenda?
(a) Is Brenda simply bored with her summer vacation?
(b) Is Brenda a girl who falls only for men beneath her station?
(c) Is she really interested in Neil or just having a forbidden fling?
(d) Is she really what she appears to be?
3. Why does the boy not want to check out the Gauguin book after Neil promises to help him?
(a) He fears he might lose it and he cannot pay to replace it.
(b) He thinks it's too heavy to carry to his house.
(c) He doesn't want the other boys to see what he is reading.
(d) He fears it will get damaged in his house.
4. What is a reminder of the Patimkin family's past life in Newark?
(a) Old Newark newspapers.
(b) Old furniture from their Newark house.
(c) Photos of Mr. Patimkin's Newark store.
(d) Old electrical appliances stored in the basement.
5. When Neil says the Patimkins do not live over their store, what does Aunt Gladys say?
(a) That they will be sorry when the economy goes bad.
(b) That she was not ashamed when she used to live over their store.
(c) That they sound like very sensible people.
(d) That they should realize how much money they waste.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time Neil phones Brenda, why does she not come to the phone?
2. While Neil and the boy are looking at the art book, what is Neil seeing?
3. What happens in the TV room later that night after Brenda returns?
4. What is the irony of the Patimkins' snobbery at Neil's living in Newark?
5. How does Mrs. Patimkin treat Neil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rather strange job is given Neil the evening after the dinner?
2. How does Neil see Mr. Patimkin when he meets him at dinner?
3. How does the reader know that Neil is restless and bored babysitting Julie?
4. What is a noticeable difference between dinner at the Patimkins' house and dinner in the Klugman house?
5. Besides his week at Brenda's house, what else does Neil have to look forward to?
6. Relate what happens when Neil finds a refrigerator in the other part of the basement.
7. How does Aunt Gladys show that she is somewhat isolated in her Newark Jewish community?
8. Explain the prejudice of the head librarian against the boy.
9. Describe Brenda's neighborhood in Short Hills.
10. What is Mrs. Patimkin's athletic involvement?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)