|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Neil get from Julie?
(a) That Mrs. Patimkin does not like him.
(b) That Brenda is engaged to be married.
(c) That Ron is flying to Milwaukee to see Harriet.
(d) That Brenda has many boyfriends.
2. Besides attending Rutgers, what had Neil been doing in recent years?
(a) He had been drifting around the country.
(b) He had studied in France.
(c) He was in the Peace Corps.
(d) He was in the army.
3. While the dinner conversation is going on, what is Brenda doing?
(a) Brenda is drumming her nails on the table.
(b) Neil feels Brenda's fingers tease his calf.
(c) Brenda is talking on the phone.
(d) Brenda is eating a second dessert.
4. How does Neil evaluate Mr. Patimkin's intelligence?
(a) He is just average.
(b) He is just a shade above stupid.
(c) He is not too smart.
(d) He is a near genius.
5. What is strange about Brenda's feeling that Neil is pursuing her?
(a) She is the one who makes all the rules.
(b) She keeps encouraging him.
(c) She is the one who invited him to the Country Club.
(d) She is the one who initiates the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brenda feel about her mother?
2. What is the main difference between Neil and Brenda?
3. What is the little African-American boy doing in front of the library?
4. What was Neil's major in Rutgers?
5. When Neil wants to phone Brenda in Short Hills, New Jersey, where does he find the Short Hills phone directory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell how the relationship has developed between Neil and the boy who comes to look at the Gauguin book.
2. Describe the young African-American boy Neil encounters in front of the library.
3. What does Brenda do that suggests she is very infatuated with Neil?
4. Discuss the competitive nature of Brenda.
5. Besides his week at Brenda's house, what else does Neil have to look forward to?
6. Relate what happens when Neil finds a refrigerator in the other part of the basement.
7. Describe Neil's family in Newark.
8. What is a noticeable difference between dinner at the Patimkins' house and dinner in the Klugman house?
9. How does Neil feel sitting at the table with the Patimkin family?
10. What does the basement reveal about he Patimkin family?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)