|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Patimkin tell Brenda she should do?
(a) Take a vacation in Europe.
(b) Send Neil packing.
(c) Help her with the wedding plans.
(d) Get a job.
2. What excuse does Brenda make for her mother's behavior?
(a) Her migraine headaches.
(b) Ron's upcoming wedding.
(c) Her menopause.
(d) Julie's temper tantrums.
3. What does Neil think about the boy's not returning?
(a) The kid is better off not carrying dreams of Tahiti in his head if he could not afford to fly there.
(b) He thinks the boy has probably developed other interests.
(c) He thinks the boy's friends teased him too much.
(d) He thinks the boy's family moved away.
4. Where does Mrs. Patimkin send Neil?
(a) She sends Neil to pick up Julie from her riding class.
(b) She sends Neil to New York to bring back silverware patterns.
(c) She sends Neil to the airport to get Harriet's mother.
(d) Since she cannot go herself, she sends Neil to Newark.
5. What does Brenda show Neil in the room just off of the guest room?
(a) Boxes and boxes of their old clothes that Mrs. Patimkin does not throw away.
(b) Shelves and shelves of shoes.
(c) A four posted bed ready for them to use.
(d) Their old furniture from when they lived in Newark.
6. What does Brenda do the first morning Neil is in the house?
(a) She has Neil help her bathe the dog.
(b) She makes breakfast for the two of them.
(c) She slips into Neil's room and gets in bed with him.
(d) She brings a bottle of Jack Daniels into Neil's room.
7. What is the meaning of Good-bye, Columbus?
(a) It is a traditional drinking song at Ohio U.
(b) It is a message to graduates who are leaving OU and Columbus, Ohio.
(c) It means that like Columbus there are no more frontiers to conquer.
(d) It means that the University of Ohio was moving to Akron.
8. What has happened at Neil's job?
(a) He has become Reference Librarian.
(b) He has not gotten his promotion.
(c) He has fallen into a dull routine.
(d) He is in line to become head librarian.
9. What request does Brenda make of Neil in the store room?
(a) To undress and let her body paint him.
(b) To help her carry things down to the trash.
(c) To make love to her on the old Newark sofa.
(d) He try on some of Ron's old sports gear.
10. What is Brenda's objection to getting what Neil suggests?
(a) She cannot go to her doctor because he is a close friend of the family.
(b) She is sure she cannot get pregnant.
(c) She thinks he should take care of the protection.
(d) She says a diaphragm would change their relationship.
11. Where does Neil wait for Brenda while she is at the doctor's office?
(a) In Bergdorf Goodman store.
(b) In Rockefeller Center.
(c) In a deli.
(d) In Central Park.
12. What are the men all talking about?
(a) They are talking about how expensive daughters are.
(b) As Neil waits for Brenda, the men talk about how much money they are making.
(c) They are talking about sports.
(d) They are talking about how bad business is.
13. In a letter, when does Brenda say she will be returning from school?
(a) In a month after her exams.
(b) For Rosh Hashana which is a week away.
(c) For spring break.
(d) In two weeks to shop for winter clothes in New York.
14. What does Neil admit is the extent of his religious participation?
(a) He goes to Hudson Street Synagogue every Sabbath.
(b) He belongs to Hudson Street Synagogue, but he has not been active.
(c) He is a practicing Buddhist.
(d) He observes Jewish holidays sometimes.
15. What effect does Mrs. Patimkin's nagging have on Brenda?
(a) She goes outside and screams.
(b) She starts singing at the top of her lungs.
(c) She ignores her mother completely.
(d) She starts crying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What discussion do Mrs. Patimkin and Neil get into?
2. Why do Brenda and Harriet go alone to New York?
3. What does Mrs. Patimkin conclude about Neil's religious leaning?
4. Why does Mrs. Patimkin say on the phone that she cannot leave at the moment?
5. How does the relationship end?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)