|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some of the people like at the wedding?
(a) They are all very formal and subdued.
(b) Some of the people are ugly.
(c) The families do not get along and remain separated.
(d) Eccentrics from both families attend Ron and Harriet's wedding.
2. Why do Neill and Brenda go to New York?
(a) They go to get away from the confusion of the wedding plans.
(b) They go to be alone together in the park.
(c) They goe to get Neil a tuxedo.
(d) Brenda is going to be fitted for a diaphragm.
3. What does Neil admit is the extent of his religious participation?
(a) He belongs to Hudson Street Synagogue, but he has not been active.
(b) He is a practicing Buddhist.
(c) He observes Jewish holidays sometimes.
(d) He goes to Hudson Street Synagogue every Sabbath.
4. How does the relationship end?
(a) Brenda tells Neil she never loved him and walks out.
(b) Mr. Patimkin finds them and takes Brenda home.
(c) Neil returns to Newark in time for the Jewish New Year and a new beginning.
(d) Neil and Brenda make love one last time.
5. What indicates that Brenda does not particularly like Harriet?
(a) Brenda calls her goody-goody Harriet.
(b) Brenda makes a face when she mentions Harriet's name.
(c) Brenda says her mother likes Harriet more than she does her.
(d) Brenda does not go to the airport to greet her.
6. What request does Brenda make of Neil in the store room?
(a) To help her carry things down to the trash.
(b) He try on some of Ron's old sports gear.
(c) To make love to her on the old Newark sofa.
(d) To undress and let her body paint him.
7. What does Neil think about the boy's not returning?
(a) The kid is better off not carrying dreams of Tahiti in his head if he could not afford to fly there.
(b) He thinks the boy's family moved away.
(c) He thinks the boy's friends teased him too much.
(d) He thinks the boy has probably developed other interests.
8. What does Mrs. Patimkin conclude about Neil's religious leaning?
(a) She decides he is probably an atheist.
(b) That since Hudson Street Synagogue is Orthodox, Neil must be too.
(c) She decides he is an idolator.
(d) She decides he is a Reform Jew.
9. What is the weather like in Newark when Neil drives to the mountains to see the deer?
(a) It is rainy and gray.
(b) It is Indian summer.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) It is cold.
10. When the subject of contraception becomes an argument, how does Brenda react?
(a) She starts to cry and goes back into the house.
(b) She shuts up and does not speak to him for hours.
(c) She tells Neil to leave her house.
(d) She slaps Neil in the face.
11. What effect does Mrs. Patimkin's nagging have on Brenda?
(a) She starts singing at the top of her lungs.
(b) She ignores her mother completely.
(c) She goes outside and screams.
(d) She starts crying.
12. Why can Neil not go to meet Brenda?
(a) His car is in the shop.
(b) His parents are coming from Tuscon.
(c) He cannot take off any time from work, because he just got a raise.
(d) His Aunt Gladys is ill.
13. What does Mrs. Patimkin tell Brenda she should do?
(a) Help her with the wedding plans.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Send Neil packing.
(d) Take a vacation in Europe.
14. Where does Neil wait for Brenda while she is at the doctor's office?
(a) In Rockefeller Center.
(b) In Bergdorf Goodman store.
(c) In Central Park.
(d) In a deli.
15. What does Brenda do the first morning Neil is in the house?
(a) She slips into Neil's room and gets in bed with him.
(b) She brings a bottle of Jack Daniels into Neil's room.
(c) She makes breakfast for the two of them.
(d) She has Neil help her bathe the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened at Neil's job?
2. When does Neil tell Brenda he loves her?
3. Why does Neil enter St. Patrick's cathedral?
4. How do Neil and Brenda pass the time at night until Ron finally goes to sleep?
5. What discussion do Mrs. Patimkin and Neil get into?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)