|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Brenda dressed when she comes to the porch where Neil is?
(a) She is in tight shorts and a halter top.
(b) She is wearing a yellow dress that shows off her summer tan.
(c) She is wearing a warm-up suit.
(d) She is wearing one of Neil's shirts.
2. What prevents them for seeing much of each other the next day?
(a) All of the activity surrounding the wedding.
(b) The sudden arrival of Harriet's cousins.
(c) Brenda and Harriet spending most of the day in the beauty salon.
(d) The nervousness of their relationship after getting the diaphragm.
3. Why does Neil think Harriet is a perfect match for Ron?
(a) Like him she is mainly concerned with appearances.
(b) She is strong willed where Ron is weak.
(c) She is an expert golfer.
(d) She is something of a slob, too.
4. What does Brenda show Neil in the room just off of the guest room?
(a) Shelves and shelves of shoes.
(b) Boxes and boxes of their old clothes that Mrs. Patimkin does not throw away.
(c) A four posted bed ready for them to use.
(d) Their old furniture from when they lived in Newark.
5. Why does Brenda return alone from the airport?
(a) She is anxious to see what Neil is up to.
(b) Harriet's plane is late.
(c) She has a migraine.
(d) She had another fight with her mother.
6. What effect does Mrs. Patimkin's nagging have on Brenda?
(a) She starts crying.
(b) She ignores her mother completely.
(c) She goes outside and screams.
(d) She starts singing at the top of her lungs.
7. Where do Neil and Brenda go after breakfast?
(a) They go fishing in a lake nearby.
(b) They go run on the high school track.
(c) They go shopping for a wedding gift.
(d) They go to sporting goods store to buy Neil some sports outfits.
8. What disappointing news does Neil get from Brenda?
(a) Brenda calls Neil to tell him she is not coming for Rosh Hashanah. She has a test Saturday and a paper due.
(b) She has gotten engaged.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is meeting her family in the Poconos.
9. Where does Neil wait for Brenda while she is at the doctor's office?
(a) In a deli.
(b) In Central Park.
(c) In Bergdorf Goodman store.
(d) In Rockefeller Center.
10. What does Neil do the day after the wedding?
(a) He returns to his job at the library.
(b) He slips out of the house and returns to Newark.
(c) He stays in his room and wonders if he will lose Brenda.
(d) At noon the day after the wedding, Neil drives Brenda to her train back to school.
11. What indicates that Brenda does not particularly like Harriet?
(a) Brenda does not go to the airport to greet her.
(b) Brenda calls her goody-goody Harriet.
(c) Brenda says her mother likes Harriet more than she does her.
(d) Brenda makes a face when she mentions Harriet's name.
12. How does Brenda reply to her mother's suggestion that she go to work?
(a) They could live off the income from their stocks alone.
(b) Maybe she will work in McDonald's and tell everyone of Mrs. Patimkin's social friends.
(c) She tells her mother if she wants more income for the family, she shoud go to work herself.
(d) She has no job skills thanks to her mother's demands.
13. What request does Brenda make of Neil in the store room?
(a) To undress and let her body paint him.
(b) To help her carry things down to the trash.
(c) To make love to her on the old Newark sofa.
(d) He try on some of Ron's old sports gear.
14. What does Neil want to discuss with Brenda?
(a) He wants to know if she would consider marrying him.
(b) He wants to borrow money for a new suit.
(c) He wants her to get a diaphragm.
(d) He wants her to elope with him the night of Ron's wedding.
15. Where does Neil find Mr. Patimkin's business?
(a) In a shopping mall.
(b) In an upscale business district.
(c) Patimkin Kitchen and Bathroom Sinks is in the middle of Newark's African-American section.
(d) Not far from Aunt Gladys' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Patimkin family business does Julie tattle to Neil about?
2. What does Brenda do the first morning Neil is in the house?
3. What complaint does Mr. Patimkin make to Neil?
4. what effect does the song have on Ron?
5. What did Brenda once say that Neil believes hinted at marriage?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)