|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the head librarian tell Neil just before he leaves on vacation?
(a) He tells Neil that he must get Patimkin to make a donation to the library.
(b) He tells Neil that he is aiming too high and will get hurt.
(c) The head librarian tells Neil that after his vacation he will become reference librarian and receive a small raise.
(d) He says that if Neil goes now he will not have a job when he returns.
2. What indicates that Brenda and her family are concerned with status and appearance?
(a) She has had a nose job and her brother is about to do it, too.
(b) She talks about her trips to Paris.
(c) She keeps telling Neil how expenisve everything is in her house.
(d) She asks Neil why he doesn't buy a Mercedes.
3. Who is playing tennis with Brenda when Neill walks up?
(a) Brenda is playing with her brother, Ron.
(b) He finds Brenda playing against Laura Simpson Stolowitch.
(c) Brenda is playing with her father.
(d) He finds her playing with her tennis coach.
4. How does Ron show off his athletic ability?
(a) He repeatedly swims the length of the pool.
(b) He does trick dives off the high board.
(c) He does pushups and situps on the side of the pool.
(d) He organizes a game of water polo.
5. What was Mrs. Patimkin's connection to sports when she was younger?
(a) She played water polo in college.
(b) She was a great golfer at one time.
(c) She ran in the Boston Marathon once.
(d) Mrs. Patimkin had been the best tennis player in the state at one time.
6. What is the small boy who was outside growling at the lions asking for when he says he wants to see heart books?
(a) He wants books of Valentines.
(b) He does not want paperback books.
(c) He wants to learn about his father's medical condition.
(d) He wants to look at picture books of art.
7. What Characteristic of Mrs. Patimkin gives evidence of her more humble beginnings?
(a) She does not like to throw anything away.
(b) She wears bargain basement clothes.
(c) She does not like to waste money.
(d) She still does her own cooking and cleaning.
8. How often is Neil seeing Brenda now?
(a) Twice a week.
(b) Every evening.
(c) Every weekend.
(d) Every Wednesday evening.
9. When does Neil call Brenda for the second time?
(a) After the ten o'clock news.
(b) Just before midnight.
(c) When Uncle Max gets home from work.
(d) The next day.
10. What do the twenty-three bottles of Jack Daniels suggest to Neil?
(a) That they keep the liquour out of sight to guests.
(b) That Mr. Patimkin is a man who entertains his friends.
(c) That Mr. Patimkin owns stock in the Jack Daniels company.
(d) That Mrs. Patimkin is a lush.
11. How does Neil avoid the issue of the boy wanting to check the Gauguin book out of the library?
(a) He says it is on hold and he can only look at it in the library.
(b) He says it is in need of repair and too fragile to take out.
(c) He says it is a reference book only and cannot be taken out.
(d) He says the boy needs to have his mother get a library card first.
12. Where are the Patimkin's going while Neil babysits?
(a) To the Museum of Modern Art.
(b) To take Ron to the airport.
(c) To a reception for the mayor of New York.
(d) To attend a lecture.
13. Why does Aunt Gladys want Neil to leave the Patimkin's telephone number?
(a) She wants to keep tabs on Neil.
(b) She can't really believe that Jewish families live in Short Hills.
(c) She is afraid she will get sick and have to go to the hospital.
(d) She wants Neil to remember where he comes from.
14. Why is Neil going to the Patimkin's house that evening?
(a) They have asked him to babysit Julie while they all go out.
(b) He is going to park down the street and follow Brenda when she leaves the house.
(c) He is going with them to the opera.
(d) He is going to talk with Mr. Patimkin about working in his store.
15. What happens in the TV room later that night after Brenda returns?
(a) Neil proposes marriage.
(b) Brenda teases Neil by exposing her breasts.
(c) They make love on the sofa.
(d) They hold hands and drink wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation when the family does speak?
2. What does Brenda allow Neil to do as they play in the pool?
3. What comment does Neil make to Brenda about her mother.
4. What does Neil take out of the refrigerator in the basement?
5. How does Neil react to Brenda's invitation to spend a week at her house?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)