|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brenda feel about her mother?
(a) She thinks her mother is uneducated.
(b) She thinks her mother hates her and is jealous of her.
(c) She thinks her mother stays at home too much.
(d) She thinks her mother is the world's greatest.
2. When Neill finally stops at Brenda's house, where does he find her?
(a) She is talking to the gardener.
(b) She is waiting for him at her front door.
(c) She is playing tennis on her private tennis court.
(d) She is in the kitchen having a cappuccino.
3. Why does Neil tell Aunt Gladys he is going to the Patimkin's house for a week?
(a) He says he hope Mr. Patimkin will help him get ahead in the world.
(b) He says that he wants to give Aunt Gladys a vacation from him for a week.
(c) Neil says he is just taking a vacation, because he deserves one.
(d) He says he is expecting to propose to Brenda.
4. What antic does Neil perform at the pool?
(a) He hides Brenda's glasses.
(b) He does handstands on the diving board.
(c) Neil dives in and surfaces like a dolphin beside Brenda, sliding her legs on his.
(d) He swims thirty laps without stopping.
5. Why does Brenda chastise Neil after he returns home and calls her?
(a) She is angry that he did not use protection when they made love.
(b) She says it is a good thing the phone didn't wake her parents.
(c) She is piqued because he called at one in the morning.
(d) She doesn't want him to get too attached to her.
6. When Neil wants to phone Brenda in Short Hills, New Jersey, where does he find the Short Hills phone directory?
(a) Out in the garage.
(b) At the next door neighbor's house.
(c) Under a laundry basket.
(d) Holding up Anut Gladys' dresser.
7. What is a typical dinner at Aunt Gladys' house?
(a) Kosher chicken, tossed salad, and dessert.
(b) Pot roast, gravy, boiled potatoes, peas and carrots, and rye bread.
(c) Matzos soup, leg of lamb, and mixed vegetables.
(d) Bagels, cream cheese, and lox.
8. While the dinner conversation is going on, what is Brenda doing?
(a) Brenda is talking on the phone.
(b) Brenda is drumming her nails on the table.
(c) Neil feels Brenda's fingers tease his calf.
(d) Brenda is eating a second dessert.
9. How does Neil feel being there as Julie's babysitter?
(a) He is glad to do it because he will see Branda when she returns.
(b) He thinks he can get Julie to tell him family secrets.
(c) He is bored and wants to go home.
(d) He feels like a poor relative.
10. What biased reaction does the head librarian have about the boy's wanting to look at art?
(a) That an African-American boy could not possibly have an interest in fine art.
(b) That the boy is sneaking around to find where the money is.
(c) That the boy is uneducated and has no business in a library.
(d) That he either wants to steal the books or to look at nude pictures and touch himself inappropriately.
11. Why does Aunt Gladys want Neil to leave the Patimkin's telephone number?
(a) She is afraid she will get sick and have to go to the hospital.
(b) She wants to keep tabs on Neil.
(c) She wants Neil to remember where he comes from.
(d) She can't really believe that Jewish families live in Short Hills.
12. What does Brenda allow Neil to do as they play in the pool?
(a) Touch her breasts.
(b) Put suntan lotion on her body.
(c) Kiss her feet.
(d) Hold her close under the water.
13. What member of Neil's family does Brenda remember?
(a) She remembers his Aunt Doris, who is always at the Green Lane Country Club reading War and Peace.
(b) She remembers Neil's sister who was in school at Radcliffe.
(c) She remembers Neil's cousin who sang at her debut ball.
(d) She remembers Neil's Uncle Max who helped her change a tire.
14. What was Neil's major in Rutgers?
(b) Library science.
15. What impresses Aunt Gladys about Neil's description of the Patimkin house?
(a) That it is in Newark.
(b) That it has a narrow driveway.
(c) That it is over their store.
(d) That it has so many rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the twenty-three bottles of Jack Daniels suggest to Neil?
2. What does Neil think that shows he is infatuated with Brenda?
3. What request does Brenda make to her father?
4. When the family goes outside, what are Mr. Patimkin and his 10-year-old daughter Julie doing?
5. How does Neil evaluate Mr. Patimkin's intelligence?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)