|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Graves' children joined the Armed Forces during World War II?
2. Who helped Graves locate housing in Egypt?
(a) Ex -soldiers
(c) University staff
3. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
(a) He was killed
(b) He worked too hard and collapsed
(c) He was demoted
(d) He spoke of anti-war sentiments and was hurt
4. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
(a) President of the University
(b) Examiner for the diploma class of the Higher Training College
(c) Commander of the University
(d) Dean of Students
5. With which of the following literary figures did Graves develop a deep and sincere friendship?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
2. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
3. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
4. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
5. Who continues to live with Graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
2. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
3. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
4. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
5. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
6. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
7. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
8. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
9. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
10. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)