|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease do Graves' children contract for which they receive only indifferent medical attention?
2. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
(b) Because his children needed different care
(c) Because his wife died
(d) Because the Spanish Civil War started
3. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
(a) It was too costly to travel
(b) Homes were destroyed
(c) They armed forces were short handed
(d) Many did not return
4. Which of the following literary icons did not die in rapid succession while Graves attended Oxford?
5. What was the last year Graves attended Oxford?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
2. How many children did Graves have?
3. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
4. What nickname was Siegfried Sassoon given?
5. Which of the following literary figures was not one of friendships Graves made while at Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
2. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
3. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
4. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
5. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
6. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
7. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
8. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
9. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
10. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)