|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Graves consider the war?
(a) Evil and pointless
(b) Understandable and necessary
(c) A brave effort
(d) Clear and well run
2. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
(a) Dean of Students
(b) President of the University
(c) Examiner for the diploma class of the Higher Training College
(d) Commander of the University
3. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
(a) Visit wounded soldiers
(b) Attend long church services
(c) Hide from everyone
(d) Visit all of his school friends
4. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
(a) Abscessed tooth
(d) Blood infection
5. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because his wife died
(b) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
(c) Because the Spanish Civil War started
(d) Because his children needed different care
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
2. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
3. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
4. When was Graves' first son born?
5. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
2. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
3. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
4. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
5. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
6. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
7. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
8. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
9. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
10. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)