|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Graves hold at Oswestry?
(a) Overseeing transfers
(b) Identifying corpses
(c) Building weapons
(d) Training men
2. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
(a) The fact that he had time away from the war
(b) German middle name
(c) His rank
(d) His wealth
3. What did Graves and Sassoon spend many hours together doing?
(a) Finding a way to escape the war
(b) Planning escape from the war
(c) Correcting errors in reporting
(d) Writing poetry
4. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
5. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because his children needed different care
(b) Because his wife died
(c) Because the Spanish Civil War started
(d) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Graves' second child born?
2. What disease do Graves' children contract for which they receive only indifferent medical attention?
3. Which of the following literary icons did not die in rapid succession while Graves attended Oxford?
4. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
5. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Graves when he and another soldier went off in search of some horses which were missing?
2. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
3. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
4. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
5. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
6. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
7. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
8. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
9. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
10. What did Graves do in Ireland that he found distasteful though he performed it as it was his duty?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)