|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
(a) His wealth
(b) German middle name
(c) The fact that he had time away from the war
(d) His rank
2. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
(a) It was too costly to travel
(b) Homes were destroyed
(c) They armed forces were short handed
(d) Many did not return
3. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
(a) Caused by the war
(b) To be solved by men
(c) In terms of women's rights
(d) The fault of religion
4. At what university did Graves secure a position?
(a) University of London
(d) Royal Egyptian University of Cairo
5. What was Sassoon treated for at Craiglockhart War Hospital?
(c) Bullet wounds
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to deserters?
2. Socially, England became anti which nationality?
3. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
4. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
5. To whom did Lawrence introduce Graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
2. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
3. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
4. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
5. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
6. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
7. How did Graves feel about the local customs and culture while in Egypt?
8. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
9. During this post-war time, what did Nicholson do that later Graves and Lawrence needed to help him with?
10. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)