|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Graves locate housing in Egypt?
(a) University staff
(c) Ex -soldiers
2. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
(b) Draft office
(d) Media relations
3. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
4. Why did Graves' commanding officer refuse to honor his request to resign his commission?
(a) He wanted him to take over his command
(b) He did not like Graves and wanted him to suffer
(c) He wanted him to perform in the Battalion theatrical
(d) He needed him to continue to train new soldiers
5. To whom did Lawrence introduce Graves?
(a) Ezra Pound
(b) Thomas Hardy
(c) Robert Nichols
(d) John Masefield
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
2. What does Graves offer as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo?
3. Which of the following parts was not injured on Graves?
4. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
5. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Graves was injured, what steps were taken by the military and himself?
2. What did Graves become familiar with as he was stationed at headquarters company?
3. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
4. What happened in late July to Graves' company and to him during an artillery formation?
5. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
6. In what ways were Graves and T.E. Lawrence alike while they were together at Oxford?
7. What changed about the periods of convalescence for soldiers who were injured during a battle?
8. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
9. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
10. What did Graves do after he resigned his teaching position?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)