|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
(b) Over dramatic
2. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
(c) Shell-shock with flashbacks
3. Who continues to live with Graves?
(b) His father
4. What disease do Graves' children contract for which they receive only indifferent medical attention?
5. Who helped Graves locate housing in Egypt?
(a) University staff
(b) Ex -soldiers
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
2. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
3. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
4. Which of the following parts was not injured on Graves?
5. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
2. How did Graves feel about what his commanding officer did regarding his demobilization request and what steps did he take to ensure the demobilization?
3. How did Graves feel about the local customs and culture while in Egypt?
4. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
5. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
6. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
7. Describe how Graves felt about Oxford when he enrolled in October of 1919.
8. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
9. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
10. What did Graves start doing during the time he lived with Nicholson in the town of Islip?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)