|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
(a) He was demoted
(b) He was killed
(c) He worked too hard and collapsed
(d) He spoke of anti-war sentiments and was hurt
2. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
3. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
(a) Idea of becoming a poet
(b) Idea of a gas attack
(c) Idea of peace
(d) Idea of being sent back to the trenches
4. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence?
Graves found the standard of academia execrable
5. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
Short Answer Questions
1. With which of the following literary figures did Graves develop a deep and sincere friendship?
2. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
3. Where did the doctor advise Nancy that she should live for health reasons?
4. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
5. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three essays Graves uses as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo.
2. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
3. Describe in detail Graves' life after WWII.
4. What happened to Graves and his family toward the end of his schooling and what steps did he take because of this?
5. Describe how Graves' opinions of the war differed from those he became friends with at Oxford?
6. Describe what Graves did during his latter years while at Oxford?
7. What was different between the original text and the 1957 revision?
8. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
9. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
10. Describe how Sassoon and Graves, both of whom were injured, spent their time recovering.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)