|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Graves' commanding officer refuse to honor his request to resign his commission?
(a) He needed him to continue to train new soldiers
(b) He did not like Graves and wanted him to suffer
(c) He wanted him to take over his command
(d) He wanted him to perform in the Battalion theatrical
2. What sport does Graves take up?
3. How many children did Graves have?
4. How did Graves feel about the war rationing of food?
(a) He wrote poems and letters to the editor saying it was wrong
(b) He felt there was abundant food
(c) He stole to get more credits
(d) He was often hungry
5. What was Graves plagued by as he entered school at Oxford?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Graves spend his time doing right after he resigns his teaching position in Cairo?
2. Who does Graves routinely help out?
3. How did Graves consider the war?
4. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
5. What was Sassoon treated for at Craiglockhart War Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one specific area in which Graves demonstrated a serious nervous disorder that seemed unusual.
2. In what way did Graves act to prevent his friend Sassoon from being court-martialed or serving a prison sentence?
3. What happened as Graves tried to resign his commission and demobilize as a student to Oxford?
4. How did Graves feel about the local customs and culture while in Egypt?
5. Describe the university and classes Graves held as he began his new post as a professor in Egypt.
6. Upon return to the 3rd Battalion in England, what did Graves and Sassoon do for the military and to pass the time?
7. What did Graves do during his recovery period from his nose surgery before he returned to the war?
8. How did England change socially during 1919 while Graves was in Oxford?
9. What events led to Sassoon's denouncing the war and announcing his intention to refuse further service?
10. When were Graves' last children to his first wife born and what did he do during this time?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)