|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
(d) Moralistic stories
2. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Abandoned it
(b) Kept it on their backs
(c) Hid it in trenches
(d) Sent it to the rear
3. How far back is Graves able to trace his ancestral history?
4. Which of the following classes of people ranked lowest within the social code that Graves describes?
(a) Immigrant workers
5. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Great War, what did Graves insist he was as far as his heritage was concerned?
2. Where was Graves dispatched to join a unit destined for combat in France?
3. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
4. What did Graves' first wife die from?
5. Which disease did Graves believe resulted mostly from low morale?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
2. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
3. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
4. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
5. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
6. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
7. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
8. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
9. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
10. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)