|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what sport did Mallory introduce Graves?
2. What position did Graves hold during his final year at Charterhouse?
(b) Assistant editor
(d) Assistant Teacher
3. What were many of the students at Charterhouse impressed with in regards to Graves?
(a) Poetic skills
(b) Physical ability
(c) Mental Abilities
(d) Academic skills
4. What did Amalie von Ranke want to perform while traveling?
(a) Finding a husband
(b) Writing travel brochures
(c) Humanitarian services
(d) Sight seeing
5. Which of the following best describes Graves' experience at Charterhouse?
(c) Intellectually stimulating
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
2. Which of the following places was Graves not billeted?
3. How was the regiment's second-in-command referred to?
4. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
5. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
2. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
3. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
4. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
5. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
6. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
7. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
8. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
9. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
10. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)