|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Graves' skills at sports?
2. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
(a) There was no physical record that they surrendered
(b) All twenty-nine regiments did not surrender
(c) They were abandoned by the Navy
(d) Other regiments surrendered before they did
3. Where did Graves and George Mallory become good friends?
(c) Parent's home
4. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
(a) Uniform discharges
(c) Trench rifles
(d) Chlorine gas
5. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
(b) Leaving the trenches and hiding
Short Answer Questions
1. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
2. What was the age range of the men in Graves' platoon of Welshmen?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes how Graves found climbing?
4. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
5. What disgusted Graves that was a somewhat common practice among the students at Charterhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
2. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
3. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
4. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
5. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
6. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
7. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
8. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
9. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
10. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)