|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Graves use to describe death during the summer of 1915?
2. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
(d) Moralistic stories
3. Where was the offensive that Graves was sent forward to help prepare for?
4. What position did Graves hold during his final year at Charterhouse?
(c) Assistant Teacher
(d) Assistant editor
5. Which disease did Graves believe resulted mostly from low morale?
(d) Trench feet
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the officers discuss that were purported to have been committed by specific units or nationalities?
2. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
3. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
4. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
5. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
2. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
3. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
4. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
5. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
6. How were Graves and his siblings raised and what was the system they were raised under?
7. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
8. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
9. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
10. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)