|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
(a) Desired to be commanded
(d) Independent thinkers
2. How many days did it take Graves to travel 17 miles when he was transferred?
(a) 1 week
(b) 2 months
(c) 1 day
(d) 2 days
3. What did Graves spend his time doing in Harfleur 'Bull Ring' ?
(a) Socializing with his friends
(b) Conducting drills for new units
(c) Documenting atrocities
(d) Writing poems
4. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
(b) Train cars
(c) Abandoned buildings
5. From what did Graves resign during his final year at school?
(a) Officers' Training Corps
(c) The Carthusian
(d) Boxing club
Short Answer Questions
1. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
2. Where was Graves sent starting at age six?
3. In what year was Graves born?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
5. What was issued in preparation for the Somme?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
2. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
3. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
4. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
5. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
6. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
7. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
8. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
9. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
10. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)