|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new so-called accessory was planned to be released upon the German lines?
(a) Uniform discharges
(c) Trench rifles
(d) Chlorine gas
2. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
(a) 2nd Battalion
(b) 3rd Battalion
(c) 4th Battalion
(d) 1st Battalion
3. What did many of the English soldiers do routinely before a mass attack?
(a) Go into town to have a party
(b) Drink heavily
(c) Pool their cash into a sweepstakes
(d) Read and prayer together as a group
4. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Accommodations for service people
(b) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(c) Unfinished battle
(d) Piece of wood used in battle
Short Answer Questions
1. During which months does Chapter 13 generally take place?
2. In what year was Graves born?
3. What injury did Graves suffer?
4. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
5. Where did Graves and George Mallory become good friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
2. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
3. How did Graves describe the men of the Welsh Regiment personally and as soldiers and how did this make Graves feel?
4. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
5. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
6. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
7. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
8. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
9. How did Robert Graves and his friend, Nevill Barbour, feel about their time in public schools?
10. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)