|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
2. Where was Graves posted when he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers?
(a) 2nd Battalion
(b) 4th Battalion
(c) 3rd Battalion
(d) 1st Battalion
3. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
(b) No Man's Land
(d) Barbed wire area
4. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
(a) Being disgraced by the cavalry
(b) Surrending to the Germans
(c) Participating in four of the hardest fought victories
(d) Supporting the Navy
5. Which terms best describe the type of men which made up the Welsh Regiment?
(b) Desired to be commanded
(c) Independent thinkers
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
2. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
4. How far back is Graves able to trace his ancestral history?
5. Where did Graves say the chaplains could be found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Graves' opinion related to Mallory and the climb up Mount Everest?
2. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
3. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
4. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
5. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
6. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
7. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
8. How did Robert Graves and his friend, Nevill Barbour, feel about their time in public schools?
9. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
10. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)