|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Amalie give birth to with Alfred?
2. In August of 1915, where was a major offensive planned?
(a) La Bassye
3. How long did Graves spend in basic training?
(a) Two months
(b) Three weeks
(c) One week
(d) Three months
4. Why were Graves' clothing and possessions considered second-rate?
(a) His parents were not wealthy
(b) His parents did not provide pocket money
(c) Graves kept money for other things he wanted to do rather than to buy clothing
(d) Graves did not care about his appearance
5. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Spoke German fluently
(b) Showed exlempary guarding duties
(c) Organized his troops well
(d) Competed well in a local boxing match
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Graves spend at least five of his summers while he was a child?
2. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
3. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
4. How did Graves describe the religious feeling among the soldiers?
5. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
2. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
3. How did Robert Graves and his friend, Nevill Barbour, feel about their time in public schools?
4. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
5. How did Amalie von Ranke inherit a considerable amount of money and what did she do with that fortune?
6. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
7. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
8. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
9. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
10. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)