|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Hid it in trenches
(b) Sent it to the rear
(c) Abandoned it
(d) Kept it on their backs
2. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Accommodations for service people
(b) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(c) Unfinished battle
(d) Piece of wood used in battle
4. What did Siegfried Sassoon do?
(a) Write poetry
(b) Write war plan and attack plans
(c) Write articles
(d) Write for a newspaper
5. What did Graves and his fellow officers argue the merits of?
(a) Religious beliefs
(b) Nationality drills
(c) Parade-ground drill
(d) Purposing of conducting lectures
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
2. Where was Graves dispatched to join a unit destined for combat in France?
3. What was issued in preparation for the Somme?
4. From what country could Graves trace his maternal pedigree?
5. Which of the following best defines the term untoward when used to describe Jack Graves' school chum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
2. How did Graves describe the men of the Welsh Regiment personally and as soldiers and how did this make Graves feel?
3. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
4. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
5. Describe in what way Graves' regiment was known throughout the English Army and what battles they participated in?
6. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
7. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
8. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
9. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
10. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)