|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport did Graves take up to help him be left alone by school bullies?
2. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Competed well in a local boxing match
(b) Spoke German fluently
(c) Organized his troops well
(d) Showed exlempary guarding duties
3. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
(a) Abandoned it
(b) Hid it in trenches
(c) Kept it on their backs
(d) Sent it to the rear
4. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
5. Which of the following best describes Graves' skills at sports?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
2. With whom did Graves develop an amorous, but not physically erotic, relationship?
3. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
4. Which disease did Graves believe resulted mostly from low morale?
5. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Raymond encourage Graves to take up boxing?
2. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
3. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
4. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
5. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
6. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
7. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
8. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
9. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
10. How did Graves describe the men of the Welsh Regiment personally and as soldiers and how did this make Graves feel?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)