|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Graves indicate was not rampant among the officers?
2. How long after Graves finished school at Charterhouse did it take before England declared war on Germany?
(a) Two weeks
(b) Two days
(c) One week
(d) One month
3. In what year does Graves believe Mallory reached the summit of Mount Everest?
4. Where did Graves go on leave during Chapter 15?
5. What did Graves do that impressed his superior officer?
(a) Organized his troops well
(b) Competed well in a local boxing match
(c) Showed exlempary guarding duties
(d) Spoke German fluently
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
2. What did Graves consider himself?
3. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
4. What did the men in battle do with their belongings when they were planning for an assault?
5. In what area was Graves introduced to the sport of climbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
2. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
3. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
4. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
5. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
6. Why was Graves unable to use the new gas masks and why was this of concern to him?
7. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
8. Describe how Graves found his experiences climbing with George Mallory.
9. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
10. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)