|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pre-1888 regiments did the Royal Welch Fusiliers hold?
2. How long was Graves in Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
(a) 10 weeks
(b) 4 weeks
(c) 5 weeks
(d) 8 weeks
3. Which of the following is the best definition for the term desultory as used to describe German shelling?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term billeted as Graves would use it ?
(a) Unfinished battle
(b) Accommodations for service people
(c) Moved from the front of the fighting to the rear
(d) Piece of wood used in battle
5. Where was Graves born?
(b) United States
Short Answer Questions
1. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
2. How did Graves describe the religious feeling among the soldiers?
3. Which of the following people did Graves meet during his final year in school who was also a famous mountaineer?
4. Why did Graves enjoy his time in Germany and feel that he received respect?
5. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Graves and his siblings raised and what was the system they were raised under?
2. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
3. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
4. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
5. In what way did Graves describe the constant flow of troops in his regiment and how did the constant change affect morale?
6. What would the English soldiers do before a mass attack which some could find grisly, but the soldiers felt necessary to help the survivors?
7. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
8. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
9. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
10. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)