|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Graves begin to feel shame about his German heritage?
(a) When his relatives committed crimes
(b) As the great war approached
(c) After he aged and reflected back on his childhood
(d) When he was home in England
2. Approximately how many men out of the 800 men were casualties after the first day of the Battle of Loo?
3. What injury did Graves suffer?
(a) Rib fracture
(b) Broken leg
(c) Broken nose
(d) Bullet wound
4. What disgusted Graves that was a somewhat common practice among the students at Charterhouse?
(d) Hatred of all things German
5. What were the English exultant to receive their first shipment of?
(a) Stokes' Mortars
(b) Mortar shells
(d) New weapons of great destruction
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Graves and his men go when German artillery was close?
2. What did Graves spend his time doing in Harfleur 'Bull Ring' ?
3. In what sport did Graves win a first place prize?
4. What color were the ribbons the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics?
5. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Robert Graves and his friend, Nevill Barbour, feel about their time in public schools?
2. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
3. Describe who Graves' paternal grandfather was and what his importance was within society.
4. How were Graves and his siblings raised and what was the system they were raised under?
5. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
6. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
7. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
8. What happened to the English soldiers during the summer of 1915 as described by Graves?
9. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
10. What factors does Graves indicate have led to the waning of religious feeling among the soldiers?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)