|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did most of the students at Charterhouse feel about the war with Germany?
2. To what rank was Graves gazetted during Chapter 16?
3. Why was the Royal Welch Fusiliers regiment not disgraced when they surrendered at Yorktown?
(a) They were abandoned by the Navy
(b) Other regiments surrendered before they did
(c) All twenty-nine regiments did not surrender
(d) There was no physical record that they surrendered
4. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
5. Which of the following describes the relationship between Graves and George Mallory?
(b) Sexual partners
(c) Good friends
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Chapter 13 originally written?
2. What were the ribbons which the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore on the back of their dress tunics called?
3. In what form was Chapter 13 originally composed?
4. What injury did Graves suffer?
5. How did Graves steady his nerves when he felt nervous during the Battle of Loo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Amalie von Ranke believe she could do once she met Alfred Graves?
2. Why does Graves think that the 'trench feet' was a result of low morale?
3. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
4. What information did Graves learn about Dick which he found unsettling and how did he respond to this information?
5. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
6. How were Graves and his siblings raised and what was the system they were raised under?
7. How did Graves spend his time at the Harfleur 'Bull Ring'?
8. How did Graves become aware of the class distinctions and how did he view them during this time?
9. In what way did Graves change the opinion of his direct supervisor and how did he accomplish this task?
10. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)