|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury did Graves suffer?
(a) Broken leg
(b) Bullet wound
(c) Broken nose
(d) Rib fracture
2. For what were the Royal Welch Fusiliers notorious?
(a) Participating in four of the hardest fought victories
(b) Surrending to the Germans
(c) Being disgraced by the cavalry
(d) Supporting the Navy
3. Which of the following classes of people ranked lowest within the social code that Graves describes?
(a) Immigrant workers
4. What were the English soldiers given during the summer of 1915?
(a) Specialized medication
(b) New types of trench weapons
(c) New medals and honors
(d) New uniforms
5. Which of the following was not included in Graves' childhood pursuits?
(c) Moralistic stories
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves' unit travel?
2. In what year does Graves believe Mallory reached the summit of Mount Everest?
3. How many Special Reservists was Graves in charge of in Lancaster?
4. Where did Graves and some others go to rescue survivors after the battle of Loo?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes how Graves found climbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened just hours before the gas offensive which caused great confusion and horrible casualties among the British forces?
2. Why did it bother Graves greatly when England became more and more anti-German?
3. Why does Graves prefer the Fricourt trenches to the trenches he has been in in the past?
4. What is unique and different beginning with Chapter 12 and how has it been changed from its original format?
5. What happened with Graves' relationship with Dick?
6. What happened in relation to the Officers Training Corps with Graves?
7. Describe the intent of Chapter 13 as the author wrote it.
8. What happened in August of 1915 which would be helpful to a later major offensive in the area around La Bassye?
9. How does Graves recall the time he spent in Germany with his relatives during the summers of his childhood?
10. In what way does Graves explain the concept of relative risk which evolved by the combatants in the trenches?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)