|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who continues to live with Graves?
(d) His father
2. What position did Graves hold at Oswestry?
(a) Training men
(b) Building weapons
(c) Identifying corpses
(d) Overseeing transfers
3. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
4. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
(a) United States
5. What happened to deserters?
(a) Rarely found
(b) Sent to the front lines
(c) Life in prison
6. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
(a) His wealth
(b) His rank
(c) The fact that he had time away from the war
(d) German middle name
7. How many children did Graves have?
8. In what year was the epilogue added to this novel?
9. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because his wife died
(b) Because his children needed different care
(c) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
(d) Because the Spanish Civil War started
10. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
11. How long did Graves go untreated?
(a) 12 hours
(b) 24 hours
(c) 3 days
(d) 2 days
12. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
(a) Idea of being sent back to the trenches
(b) Idea of peace
(c) Idea of a gas attack
(d) Idea of becoming a poet
13. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
(b) Village house that he rented from his mother
(c) Townhouse in the city
(d) Back to Germany with his relatives
14. How did Graves feel about the war rationing of food?
(a) He stole to get more credits
(b) He wrote poems and letters to the editor saying it was wrong
(c) He felt there was abundant food
(d) He was often hungry
15. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
(a) Commander of the University
(b) Dean of Students
(c) President of the University
(d) Examiner for the diploma class of the Higher Training College
Short Answer Questions
1. In late July during the barrage of artillery fire that Graves' company experienced, about how many of his men were killed instantly?
2. When was Graves' first son born?
3. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence? Graves found the standard of academia execrable
4. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
5. Where was Graves stationed after his first child was born?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)