|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
(d) United States
2. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
(a) Shell-shock with flashbacks
3. To whom did Lawrence introduce Graves?
(a) Thomas Hardy
(b) John Masefield
(c) Ezra Pound
(d) Robert Nichols
4. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
5. Which of the following characters was the principal medical officer in service at the Craiglockhart War Hospital?
6. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
(a) Pro-war patriots
(b) Anti-war pacifists
(c) German sympathizers
(d) Literary writers
7. Who visited Graves on the ship before he departed for Egypt?
8. Who tutored Graves during his latter years at Oxford?
(a) Sir Walter Raleigh
(b) Walter de la Mare
(c) T S Eliot
(d) W H Davies
9. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
10. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
(a) Personal physician
(b) Regimental doctor
(d) Graves's mother
11. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
(a) They did not
(b) Through military channels
12. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
13. How did Graves consider the war?
(a) Evil and pointless
(b) Understandable and necessary
(c) A brave effort
(d) Clear and well run
14. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
15. What did Graves do after he left the service?
(a) Stayed home with his daughter
(b) Went into the theatre
(c) Moved to America
(d) Became a student at Oxford
Short Answer Questions
1. What degree did Graves receive when he completed his time at Oxford?
2. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
3. In what year was the armistice announced?
4. In what month did Graves pass medical inspection to be able to return to battle?
5. What did Lawrence personally refuse to do in regard to his books?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)