|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
(a) Foreign affairs consultant
(b) Battle planner
(c) Drill and musketry instructor
2. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
(a) Abscessed tooth
(c) Blood infection
3. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
4. With which of the following literary figures did Graves develop a deep and sincere friendship?
5. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
(b) They did not
(c) Through military channels
6. In what city did Graves rejoin the war?
7. What did Lawrence personally refuse to do in regard to his books?
(a) Write about his experiences
(b) Use the money to support others
(c) Share it with any publishers
(d) Profit from his war-time experience
8. What does Graves spend his time doing right after he resigns his teaching position in Cairo?
(a) Spends several weeks apologizing to the staff and students
(b) Spends several weeks writing
(c) Spends several weeks looking for a new job
(d) Spends several weeks traveling
9. What was the sentiment at Oxford in regard to the war?
(c) Anti- German
10. What did Graves and Sassoon do once they rejoined the 3rd Battalion in England?
(a) Covered the war for newspapers
(b) Continued their convalescence in a rehabilitation hospital
(c) Drafted new soldiers
(d) Trained new soldiers
11. What did Graves pretend he was in the tiny cottage during his recovery?
12. How many children did Graves have?
13. Who visited Graves on the ship before he departed for Egypt?
14. What does Graves offer as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo?
(a) Copies of grade reports
(b) Three essays
(c) Three poems
(d) Transcripts of audio discussions
15. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
Short Answer Questions
1. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
2. What was Sassoon treated for at Craiglockhart War Hospital?
3. Where was Graves stationed after his first child was born?
4. What did Graves believe he contracted?
5. Which of the following characters was the principal medical officer in service at the Craiglockhart War Hospital?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)