|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
2. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
(a) Idea of becoming a poet
(b) Idea of a gas attack
(c) Idea of peace
(d) Idea of being sent back to the trenches
3. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
4. What does Graves offer as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo?
(a) Transcripts of audio discussions
(b) Three essays
(c) Copies of grade reports
(d) Three poems
5. What was the last year Graves attended Oxford?
6. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence?
Graves found the standard of academia execrable
7. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
(a) He was demoted
(b) He spoke of anti-war sentiments and was hurt
(c) He was killed
(d) He worked too hard and collapsed
8. What did Graves believe he contracted?
(c) Spanish influenza
9. What was Sassoon treated for at Craiglockhart War Hospital?
(c) Bullet wounds
10. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
(a) Back to Germany with his relatives
(b) Village house that he rented from his mother
(d) Townhouse in the city
11. How did Graves feel about the war rationing of food?
(a) He stole to get more credits
(b) He was often hungry
(c) He felt there was abundant food
(d) He wrote poems and letters to the editor saying it was wrong
12. Who continues to live with Graves?
(d) His father
13. What degree did Graves receive when he completed his time at Oxford?
14. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
(a) Many did not return
(b) They armed forces were short handed
(c) It was too costly to travel
(d) Homes were destroyed
15. Who does Graves routinely help out?
(a) Homeless ex-soldiers
(b) Tutoring students
(c) Struggling writers
(d) Drug addicts
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
2. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe military justice?
3. What would the students who passed the examination go on to do?
4. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
5. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)