|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Graves and Sassoon do once they rejoined the 3rd Battalion in England?
(a) Continued their convalescence in a rehabilitation hospital
(b) Covered the war for newspapers
(c) Trained new soldiers
(d) Drafted new soldiers
2. How did Graves find the politics of school life?
(c) Easily maneuvered
3. How many children did Graves have?
4. What did Graves do after he left the service?
(a) Stayed home with his daughter
(b) Went into the theatre
(c) Became a student at Oxford
(d) Moved to America
5. What would the students who passed the examination go on to do?
(a) Become the future university instructors
(b) Offer English instruction at primary and secondary schools
(c) Work in the United States
(d) Become translators at embassies
6. What did Graves and Sassoon spend many hours together doing?
(a) Finding a way to escape the war
(b) Planning escape from the war
(c) Writing poetry
(d) Correcting errors in reporting
7. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
8. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
(d) Nervous disorders
9. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
(b) Nearly deserted
(c) Surprisingly busy
10. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
(a) Hide from everyone
(b) Visit all of his school friends
(c) Visit wounded soldiers
(d) Attend long church services
11. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
(a) In terms of women's rights
(b) The fault of religion
(c) To be solved by men
(d) Caused by the war
12. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
13. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
(a) They did not
(d) Through military channels
14. Sassoon's political views could best be described as?
15. In what year was Graves' second child born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves believe he contracted?
2. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence? Graves found the standard of academia execrable
3. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
4. In what year was the epilogue added to this novel?
5. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)