|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the sentiment at Oxford in regard to the war?
(d) Anti- German
2. How did Graves find the politics of school life?
(c) Easily maneuvered
3. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
(a) Abscessed tooth
(d) Blood infection
4. Which genre did Graves write the most poetry in?
5. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
6. How many children did Graves have?
7. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
(c) United States
8. Sassoon's political views could best be described as?
9. What was Graves plagued by as he entered school at Oxford?
10. What did Lawrence personally refuse to do in regard to his books?
(a) Write about his experiences
(b) Share it with any publishers
(c) Use the money to support others
(d) Profit from his war-time experience
11. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
(b) Shell-shock with flashbacks
12. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
13. How many of Graves' children joined the Armed Forces during World War II?
14. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
(b) Foreign affairs consultant
(c) Drill and musketry instructor
(d) Battle planner
15. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
(a) Village house that he rented from his mother
(b) Back to Germany with his relatives
(d) Townhouse in the city
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Cairo, what did Graves act as?
2. At what university did Graves secure a position?
3. What was the name of Graves' first child?
4. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
5. In what year do Graves and Nicholson return to Islip?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)