|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was the armistice announced?
2. What would the students who passed the examination go on to do?
(a) Work in the United States
(b) Offer English instruction at primary and secondary schools
(c) Become the future university instructors
(d) Become translators at embassies
3. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
4. How old was Graves in 1916?
5. In what year was Graves' second child born?
6. How many children did Graves have with his second wife?
7. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
(a) His rank
(b) German middle name
(c) The fact that he had time away from the war
(d) His wealth
8. Which genre did Graves write the most poetry in?
9. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
(a) Graves's mother
(b) Regimental doctor
(d) Personal physician
10. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
(a) He was killed
(b) He spoke of anti-war sentiments and was hurt
(c) He was demoted
(d) He worked too hard and collapsed
11. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
12. What degree did Graves receive when he completed his time at Oxford?
13. When was Graves' first son born?
(a) June 1921
(b) May 1919
(c) April 1918
(d) March 1920
14. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
(a) Idea of becoming a poet
(b) Idea of being sent back to the trenches
(c) Idea of peace
(d) Idea of a gas attack
15. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
(c) Nervous disorders
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
2. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
3. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
4. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
5. In what month did Graves pass medical inspection to be able to return to battle?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)