|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
(a) Idea of becoming a poet
(b) Idea of peace
(c) Idea of being sent back to the trenches
(d) Idea of a gas attack
2. Where was Graves sent by a strange accident of military orders?
3. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
(b) Nervous disorders
4. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
(a) Visit wounded soldiers
(b) Hide from everyone
(c) Visit all of his school friends
(d) Attend long church services
5. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
6. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
(d) Shell-shock with flashbacks
7. What does Graves spend his time doing right after he resigns his teaching position in Cairo?
(a) Spends several weeks writing
(b) Spends several weeks looking for a new job
(c) Spends several weeks traveling
(d) Spends several weeks apologizing to the staff and students
8. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
(a) Caused by the war
(b) In terms of women's rights
(c) To be solved by men
(d) The fault of religion
9. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
10. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
(a) Literary writers
(b) German sympathizers
(c) Pro-war patriots
(d) Anti-war pacifists
11. In late July during the barrage of artillery fire that Graves' company experienced, about how many of his men were killed instantly?
(a) Three fourths
(b) Two thirds
(c) One half
(d) One third
12. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
(c) United States
13. What does the term execrable mean as it is used in the following sentence?
Graves found the standard of academia execrable
14. To whom did Lawrence introduce Graves?
(a) Ezra Pound
(b) John Masefield
(c) Robert Nichols
(d) Thomas Hardy
15. How did Graves re-enter active duty after he recuperated?
(a) Drill and musketry instructor
(b) Battle planner
(d) Foreign affairs consultant
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following parts was not injured on Graves?
2. What did Graves believe he contracted?
3. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe military justice?
4. How many of Graves' children joined the Armed Forces during World War II?
5. In what city did Graves rejoin the war?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)