|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
(a) It was too costly to travel
(b) Many did not return
(c) Homes were destroyed
(d) They armed forces were short handed
2. What does Graves spend his time doing right after he resigns his teaching position in Cairo?
(a) Spends several weeks writing
(b) Spends several weeks apologizing to the staff and students
(c) Spends several weeks looking for a new job
(d) Spends several weeks traveling
3. Where did Graves move toward the end of Chapter 28?
(b) Back to Germany with his relatives
(c) Village house that he rented from his mother
(d) Townhouse in the city
4. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
(b) Media relations
(d) Draft office
5. Which genre did Graves write the most poetry in?
6. What did Graves find displayed everywhere in England?
(a) Anti-war sentiments
(c) German support
(d) Names of the injured and dead
7. What did Graves do after he left the service?
(a) Moved to America
(b) Went into the theatre
(c) Stayed home with his daughter
(d) Became a student at Oxford
8. What does it mean to serially publish a book?
(a) With support
(d) Without help
9. Where was Graves sent by a strange accident of military orders?
10. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
(c) Nervous disorders
11. What did Graves purchase during his recovery period?
(a) Boat ticket to America
12. Who continues to live with Graves?
(a) His father
13. What was the name of Graves' first child?
14. Who does Graves routinely help out?
(a) Struggling writers
(b) Drug addicts
(c) Homeless ex-soldiers
(d) Tutoring students
15. How did Nancy Nicholson see all social problems?
(a) In terms of women's rights
(b) The fault of religion
(c) Caused by the war
(d) To be solved by men
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did Graves pass medical inspection to be able to return to battle?
2. What did Graves become obsessed with happening?
3. How many of Graves' children joined the Armed Forces during World War II?
4. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
5. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)