|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
(a) Graves's mother
(c) Regimental doctor
(d) Personal physician
2. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because his wife died
(b) Because the Spanish Civil War started
(c) Because his children needed different care
(d) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
3. What was Graves plagued by as he entered school at Oxford?
4. How did Graves describe a proposed assault that was called off?
(b) A mistake
(c) Well laid out
(d) Good planning
5. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
(b) Draft office
(c) Media relations
6. Why did the troops treat Graves with a chilly reception?
(a) The fact that he had time away from the war
(b) His wealth
(c) His rank
(d) German middle name
7. How did Graves describe the enrollment at Oxford in October of 1919?
(b) Surprisingly busy
(c) Nearly deserted
8. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
9. In what year did the Spanish Civil War begin?
10. What illness did Graves develop after a few weeks at his new assignment?
(a) Abscessed tooth
(c) Blood infection
11. What did Graves purchase during his recovery period?
(b) Boat ticket to America
12. How did Graves and Sassoon describe the English media's portrayal of the war?
(c) Over dramatic
13. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
14. What did Graves do after he left the service?
(a) Moved to America
(b) Became a student at Oxford
(c) Went into the theatre
(d) Stayed home with his daughter
15. What does Graves offer as an apology for his rapid abandonment of his teaching post in Cairo?
(a) Transcripts of audio discussions
(b) Copies of grade reports
(c) Three essays
(d) Three poems
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
2. What was Sassoon treated for at Craiglockhart War Hospital?
3. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
4. What did Graves find displayed everywhere in England?
5. With which of the following literary figures did Graves develop a deep and sincere friendship?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)