|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country did Graves live during World War II?
(c) United States
2. What present day term is equivalent to what Graves refers to as neurasthenia and illusion?
(d) Shell-shock with flashbacks
3. What did Graves and Sassoon do once they rejoined the 3rd Battalion in England?
(a) Drafted new soldiers
(b) Covered the war for newspapers
(c) Trained new soldiers
(d) Continued their convalescence in a rehabilitation hospital
4. Where was Graves assigned since he was unable to return to combat?
(b) Media relations
(c) Draft office
5. Who refused to allow Graves to rejoin combat?
(b) Graves's mother
(c) Personal physician
(d) Regimental doctor
6. What type of disorder did Graves develop?
(a) Nervous disorders
7. Where did the ship stop on the way to Egypt?
8. In late July during the barrage of artillery fire that Graves' company experienced, about how many of his men were killed instantly?
(a) One half
(b) Two thirds
(c) Three fourths
(d) One third
9. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
10. Which genre did Graves write the most poetry in?
11. Why did the police change the rules about soldiers convalescing at their personal homes?
(a) It was too costly to travel
(b) Many did not return
(c) They armed forces were short handed
(d) Homes were destroyed
12. Where was Graves sent by a strange accident of military orders?
13. What did Graves and Sassoon spend many hours together doing?
(a) Planning escape from the war
(b) Writing poetry
(c) Finding a way to escape the war
(d) Correcting errors in reporting
14. What group recruited Sassoon into its cause?
(a) Literary writers
(b) Anti-war pacifists
(c) German sympathizers
(d) Pro-war patriots
15. How long did Graves go untreated?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 12 hours
(c) 2 days
(d) 3 days
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Graves find displayed everywhere in England?
2. When was Graves' first son born?
3. Where was Graves sent to a hospital to receive treatment?
4. Which of the following terms did Graves use to describe England?
5. Who continues to live with Graves?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)