|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following literary figures was not one of friendships Graves made while at Oxford?
2. What happened to Graves as he completed his work as a drill and musketry instructor?
(a) He spoke of anti-war sentiments and was hurt
(b) He was demoted
(c) He worked too hard and collapsed
(d) He was killed
3. What degree did Graves receive when he completed his time at Oxford?
4. How many children did Graves have?
5. What happened to deserters?
(b) Rarely found
(c) Sent to the front lines
(d) Life in prison
6. What would the students who passed the examination go on to do?
(a) Work in the United States
(b) Become translators at embassies
(c) Become the future university instructors
(d) Offer English instruction at primary and secondary schools
7. How did Graves consider the war?
(a) Understandable and necessary
(b) Clear and well run
(c) A brave effort
(d) Evil and pointless
8. In what year was the epilogue added to this novel?
9. How did Graves and Sassoon communicate?
(b) They did not
(c) Through military channels
10. How did Sassoon announce his intention to refuse further service?
11. What did Graves' mother force him to do while he was in England?
(a) Visit wounded soldiers
(b) Attend long church services
(c) Hide from everyone
(d) Visit all of his school friends
12. When were Graves and Nicholson married?
(a) February 1919
(b) January 1918
(c) March 1917
(d) April 1918
13. Why did Graves leave Majorca, Spain?
(a) Because he was not allowed to write in Spain
(b) Because his wife died
(c) Because his children needed different care
(d) Because the Spanish Civil War started
14. What was Graves plagued by as he entered school at Oxford?
15. Which of the following characters opened a shop for about six months and did a brisk business in groceries and goods?
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what language were all of Graves' lectures, handouts and examinations translated?
2. How did Graves feel about eighteenth century poetry?
3. Where was Graves sent by a strange accident of military orders?
4. What nickname was Siegfried Sassoon given?
5. Which of the following literary icons did not die in rapid succession while Graves attended Oxford?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)