|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
2. Why is George wearing a black armband?
3. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
4. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
5. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
2. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
3. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
4. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
5. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
6. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
7. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
8. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
9. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
10. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,546 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)