|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
2. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
3. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
4. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
5. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
2. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
3. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
4. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
5. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
6. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
7. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
8. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
9. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
10. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)