|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom get Willie out of the hospital?
2. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
3. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
4. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
5. What does Willie decide about the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
2. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
3. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
4. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
5. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
6. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
7. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
8. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
9. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
10. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,662 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)