|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
2. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
3. What is Willie able to do in the water almost immediately.
4. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
5. What is Spooky Cott?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
2. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
3. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
4. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
5. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
6. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
7. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
8. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
9. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
10. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
How does the theater play more than one role in the novel? What are its affects on the main characters?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)