|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
2. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
3. At the end of Chapter 17, "the Rescue," where do Tom and Willie sleep?
4. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
5. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
2. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
3. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
4. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
5. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
6. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
7. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
8. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
9. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
10. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,745 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)