|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tom taken to his first night in London?
2. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
3. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
4. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
5. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
2. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
3. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
4. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
5. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
6. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
7. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
8. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
9. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
10. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)