|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
2. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
3. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
4. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
5. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
2. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
3. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
4. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
5. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
6. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
7. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
8. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
9. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
10. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
Essay Topic 2
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)