|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie decide about the play?
2. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
3. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
4. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
5. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
2. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
3. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
4. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
5. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
6. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
7. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
8. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
9. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
10. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the theater play more than one role in the novel? What are its affects on the main characters?
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)