|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
2. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
3. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
4. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
5. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
2. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
3. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
4. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
5. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
6. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
7. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
8. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
9. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
10. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 3
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
This section contains 1,665 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)