|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
2. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
3. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
4. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
5. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
2. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
3. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
4. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
5. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
6. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
7. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
8. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
9. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
10. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 3
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)