|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zach die?
2. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
3. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
4. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
5. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
2. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
3. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
4. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
5. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
6. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
7. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
8. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
9. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
10. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 3
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)