|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
2. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
3. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
4. Why does Zach go back to London?
5. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
2. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
3. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
4. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
5. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
6. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
7. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
8. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
9. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
10. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 3
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)