|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has become of Mrs. Beech?
2. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
3. What does Willie decide about the play?
4. Why does Zach go back to London?
5. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
2. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
3. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
4. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
5. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
6. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
7. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
8. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
9. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
10. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,716 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)