|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zach die?
2. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
3. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
4. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
5. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
2. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
3. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
4. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
5. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
6. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
7. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
8. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
9. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
10. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)