|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Mrs. Hartridge share with Willie?
2. What happens to Trudy?
3. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
4. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
5. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
2. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
3. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
4. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
5. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
6. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
7. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
8. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
9. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
10. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 2
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)