|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
2. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
3. Why does Zach go back to London?
4. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
5. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
2. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
3. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
4. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
5. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
6. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
7. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
8. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
9. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
10. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 3
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
This section contains 1,684 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)