|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Tom to London?
2. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
3. Where is Tom taken to his first night in London?
4. Which is NOT one of the reasons that Zach is worried about his parents?
5. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
2. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
3. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
4. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
5. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
6. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
7. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
8. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
9. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
10. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 3
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
This section contains 1,678 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)