|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
2. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
3. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
4. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
5. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
2. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
3. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
4. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
5. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
6. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
7. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
8. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
9. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
10. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)