|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
2. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
3. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
4. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
5. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
2. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
3. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
4. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
5. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
6. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
7. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
8. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
9. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
10. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,568 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)