|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
2. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
3. What is Spooky Cott?
4. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
5. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
2. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
3. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
4. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
5. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
6. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
7. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
8. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
9. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
10. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theater play more than one role in the novel? What are its affects on the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)