|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
2. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
3. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
4. What is Spooky Cott?
5. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
2. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
3. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
4. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
5. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
6. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
7. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
8. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
9. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
10. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)