|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
2. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
3. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
4. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
5. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
2. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
3. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
4. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
5. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
6. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
7. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
8. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
9. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
10. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
This section contains 1,752 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)