|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
2. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
3. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
4. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
5. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
2. What is the significance of the graveyard?
3. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
4. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
5. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
6. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
7. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
8. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
9. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
10. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 2
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)