|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
2. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
3. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
4. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
5. Why is the librarian astonished that Tom wants a card for Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
2. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
3. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
4. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
5. What is the significance of the graveyard?
6. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
7. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
8. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
9. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
10. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Geoffrey brought into the novel? How does he help in the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 3
Though the reader is never told why Mrs. Beech commits suicide, one can infer as to why. Express your opinion as to why she did and support you answer with specific incidents from the novel.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)