|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
2. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
4. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
5. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
2. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
3. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
5. How is Willie's "growth" that he expresses to Tom twofold at the end of the novel?
6. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
7. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
8. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
9. How does Zach's character add to the story?
10. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)