|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
2. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
3. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
4. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
5. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
2. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
3. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
4. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
5. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
6. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
7. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
8. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
9. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
10. How does Zach's character add to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the reader is never told why Mrs. Beech commits suicide, one can infer as to why. Express your opinion as to why she did and support you answer with specific incidents from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 3
How is the death of Mrs. Beech both a blessing and a tragedy in regard to Tom and Willie?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)