|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
2. What does Tom take Willie into the fields to see in Chapter 7?
3. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
4. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
5. How has Willie's room changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
2. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
3. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
4. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
5. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
6. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
7. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
8. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
9. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
10. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
Essay Topic 2
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the theater play more than one role in the novel? What are its affects on the main characters?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)