|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
2. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
3. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
4. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
5. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
2. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
3. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
4. How does Zach's character add to the story?
5. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
6. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
7. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
8. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
9. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
10. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
This section contains 1,523 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)