|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
2. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
3. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
4. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
5. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zach's character add to the story?
2. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
3. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
4. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
5. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
6. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
7. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
8. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
9. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
10. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)