|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
2. How has Willie's room changed?
3. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
4. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
5. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
2. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
3. What is the significance of the graveyard?
4. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
5. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
6. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
7. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
8. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
9. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
10. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Geoffrey brought into the novel? How does he help in the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)