|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
2. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
3. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
4. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
5. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
2. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
3. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
4. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
5. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
6. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
7. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
8. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
9. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
10. What is the significance of the graveyard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)