|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
2. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
4. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
5. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
2. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
3. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
4. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
5. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
6. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
7. What is the significance of the graveyard?
8. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
9. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
10. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)