|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the boy at the postmaster's differ from Wilie?
2. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
3. What does Tom add to the shelter?
4. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
5. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the graveyard?
2. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
3. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
4. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
5. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
6. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
7. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
8. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
9. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
10. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)