|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
2. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
3. What does Tom think of Zach?
4. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
5. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
2. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
3. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
4. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
5. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
6. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
7. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
8. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
9. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
10. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 2
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 3
How does WWII personally affect Tom, Willie, Zach and Mrs. Hartridige? How are they changed by it?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)