|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
2. What is the Little's building?
3. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
4. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
5. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
2. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
3. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
4. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
5. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
6. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
7. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
8. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
9. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
10. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 2
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
This section contains 2,075 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)