|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
2. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
3. What do the young Fletcher boys come looking for at Tom's?
4. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
5. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
2. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
3. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
5. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
6. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
7. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
8. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
9. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
10. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
This section contains 1,468 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)