|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom add to the shelter?
2. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
3. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
4. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
5. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
2. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
4. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
5. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
6. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
7. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
8. How does Zach's character add to the story?
9. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
10. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)