|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
2. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
3. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
4. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
5. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
2. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
3. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
4. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
5. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
6. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
7. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
8. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
9. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
10. How does Zach's character add to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
This section contains 1,465 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)