|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
2. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
3. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
4. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
5. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
2. How does Zach's character add to the story?
3. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
4. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
5. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
6. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
7. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
8. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
9. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
10. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
Essay Topic 3
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)