|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
2. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
3. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
4. What is the Little's building?
5. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
2. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
3. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
4. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
5. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
6. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
7. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
8. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
9. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
10. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)