Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
2. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
3. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
4. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
5. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
2. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
3. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
4. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
5. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
6. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
7. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
8. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
9. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
10. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
How is the death of Mrs. Beech both a blessing and a tragedy in regard to Tom and Willie?
How does the theater play more than one role in the novel? What are its affects on the main characters?
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)