|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Zach that Tom and George both note?
2. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
3. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
4. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
5. What does Willie ask Tom to help him with while he is in the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
2. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
3. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
4. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
5. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
6. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
7. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
8. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
9. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
10. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the death of Mrs. Beech both a blessing and a tragedy in regard to Tom and Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the growth of the character of Tom from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)