|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
2. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
3. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
4. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
5. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
2. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
3. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
4. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
5. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
6. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
7. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
8. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
9. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
10. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the children love Mrs. Hartridge and how does she affect Willie's life?
Essay Topic 2
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 3
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)