|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
2. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
3. What upsets Carrie about George?
4. What does Tom add to the shelter?
5. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
2. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
3. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
4. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
5. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
6. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
7. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
8. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
9. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
10. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the death of Mrs. Beech both a blessing and a tragedy in regard to Tom and Willie?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
Essay Topic 3
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)