|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
2. For what does Tom go to the draper?
3. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
4. How has Willie's room changed?
5. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
3. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
4. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
5. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
6. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
7. How is Willie's "growth" that he expresses to Tom twofold at the end of the novel?
8. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
9. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
Essay Topic 1
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
Essay Topic 3
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
This section contains 1,889 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)