|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
2. What does Tom add to the shelter?
3. Why doesn't Willie talk to the girls as they pick blackberries?
4. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
5. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zach's character add to the story?
2. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
3. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
4. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
5. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
6. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
7. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
8. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
9. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
10. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 2
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
Essay Topic 3
How does WWII play a major role in the goings on of Weirwold?
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)