|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
2. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
3. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
4. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
5. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
2. How does Zach's character add to the story?
3. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
5. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
6. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
7. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
8. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
9. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
10. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)