|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
2. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
3. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
4. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
5. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
3. How does Zach's character add to the story?
4. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
5. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
6. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
7. What is the significance of the graveyard?
8. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
9. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
10. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the people of the city to the people of the countryside in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Geoffrey brought into the novel? How does he help in the healing of Willie?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)