|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
2. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
4. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
5. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
2. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
3. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
4. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
5. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
6. How does Zach's character add to the story?
7. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
8. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
9. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
10. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting of Tom versus Mrs. Beech.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship of Willie and Sammie from the time that they meet until the end of the story. How is Sammie therapy for Willie?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the relationship of Zach and the Littles from the time Zach arrives until the end of the novel. How did the relationship progress and what affect did it have on both parties?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)