|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom think of Zach?
2. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
3. How has Willie's room changed?
4. Why hasn't Willie painted at school?
5. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
2. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
3. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
4. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
5. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
6. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
7. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
8. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
9. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
10. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Carrie depict the changes that WWII will bring to England and the world?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mrs. Beech not recognize her own son when he returns to London? How does she react to the changes? What does she believe brought about the changes? What do the changes say about the way she used to treat her son?
Essay Topic 3
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)