|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
2. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
3. How old is Tom?
4. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
5. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
2. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
3. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
4. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
5. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
6. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
7. What is the significance of the graveyard?
8. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
9. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
10. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the main setting of the novel affect the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
How does the behavior of Mrs. Beech affect all of the main characters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Zach's and Willie's characters.
This section contains 1,797 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)