|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
2. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
3. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
4. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
2. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
3. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
4. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
5. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
6. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
7. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
8. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
9. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
10. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does the author take from Willie, and why does the author have them die?
Essay Topic 2
How is Mrs. Beech hypocritical and what does this say about the ideas that she taught her son? What did she teach her son specifically? When and how does the reader learn about what Mrs. Beech has taught Willie?
Essay Topic 3
How is Tom Willie's psychiatrist and doctor? How does Tom approach the healing of Willie?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)