|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
(a) Open an art school.
(b) Teach art at the school.
(c) Give individual art lessons.
(d) Teach art classes at night.
2. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
(b) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(c) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(d) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
3. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
(a) Script blocker.
(b) Assistant director.
(c) Costume designer.
(d) Line prompter.
4. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
(b) He is sad to see it occupied.
(c) He is excited to see it.
(d) He is afraid.
5. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She barely recognizes him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She yells at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
2. What is Spooky Cott?
3. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
4. Why does Zach go back to London?
5. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
2. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
3. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
4. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
5. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
6. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
7. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
8. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
9. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
10. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)