|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is sad to see it occupied.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is excited to see it.
(d) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
2. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(b) Like two people.
3. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
(a) Everyone wants to know if his father has been using the King kids as slave labor.
(b) He does terribly in the rehearsal for the Christmas show.
(c) Everyone wants to know if his father has been hitting the King kids.
(d) He can't sing.
4. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) A bike for himself.
(b) A carriage for Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) A fence for Mrs. Little's garden.
(d) An easel for Willie.
5. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
(a) Everythin' will be all right.
(b) Everythin' has a reason.
(c) Everythin' has its own time.
(d) Everythin' will work out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
2. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
3. What happens to Trudy?
4. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
5. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
2. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
3. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
4. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
5. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
6. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
7. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
8. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
9. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
10. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
This section contains 1,742 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)