|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
(a) She is a good person.
(b) She beats her child.
(c) She is a hard worker.
(d) She thinks she is above everyone else.
2. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(b) A cat.
(c) An old school house.
(d) A "haunted" cottage.
3. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
(a) By bicycle.
(b) By cart.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
4. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Sammy is not with Tom.
(b) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(c) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
(d) Tom is not allowed to stay.
5. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
(a) He admits that the choir is bad.
(b) He sings a song that Rachel loved.
(c) He plays a song that Rachel loved.
(d) He admits that he was nervous to play for the choir.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
2. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
3. How does Tom get Willie out of the hospital?
4. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
5. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
2. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
3. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
4. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
5. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
6. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
7. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
8. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
9. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
10. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)