|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
(b) The loss of his wife and baby.
(c) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
(d) His need for a son.
2. Who goes with Tom to London?
(c) Mrs. Fletcher.
3. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
(b) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
(c) He will play the role of Scrooge.
(d) He will quit.
4. What do Geoffrey and Miss Thorne decide on for their first lesson?
(a) A science project.
(b) An art pfoject.
(c) A poetry project.
(d) A nature project.
5. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He stumbles over the words.
(b) He is very silly in his acting.
(c) He sounds monotonous.
(d) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
2. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
3. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
4. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
5. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
2. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
3. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
4. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
5. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
6. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
7. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
8. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
9. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
10. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)