|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(b) George will not be attending high school.
(c) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
2. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
(a) The baby.
(b) His paintings.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A picture of Tom.
3. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Fish town.
(c) Salty mouth.
4. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(b) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(c) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(d) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
5. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
(b) To go back to his mother.
(c) To go to a children's home.
(d) To go home with Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
2. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
3. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
4. How does Tom get Willie out of the hospital?
5. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
2. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
3. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
4. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
5. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
6. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
7. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
8. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
9. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
10. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
This section contains 1,794 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)