|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
(a) Mrs. Fletcher is about to get a telegram.
(b) Anne Hartridge is about to get a telegram.
(c) He wants to speak with George.
(d) He wants advice about Willie.
2. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
(a) He admits that the choir is bad.
(b) He admits that he was nervous to play for the choir.
(c) He sings a song that Rachel loved.
(d) He plays a song that Rachel loved.
3. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
(a) His father.
(b) A dog.
(c) A baby.
4. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They don't know the song.
(b) They want to hear him play.
(c) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(d) They are frightened of Tom.
5. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(b) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
(c) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(d) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
2. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
3. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
4. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
2. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
3. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
4. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
5. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
6. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
7. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
8. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
9. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
10. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
This section contains 1,760 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)