|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
(b) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(d) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
2. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
(a) He is happy that they are so loud.
(b) He is gruff because they are too solemn.
(c) He is happy that they sound so good together.
(d) He is gruff because they have bad harmony.
3. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Salty mouth.
(c) Fish town.
4. What has become of Mrs. Beech?
(a) She has been sent to jail.
(b) She has been sent to a hosptial.
(c) She has been sent to an insane asylum.
(d) She has committed suicide.
5. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) A "haunted" cottage.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(c) A cat.
(d) An old school house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
2. Which is NOT one of the reasons that Zach is worried about his parents?
3. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
4. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
5. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
2. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
3. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
4. What has Carrie asked of Mrs. Hartridge that is out of character for a girl of this period, and what might its effects be on the town of Weirwold.
5. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
6. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
7. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
8. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
9. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
10. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)