|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) She is a liar.
(b) She is a bad person.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She has run away.
2. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) They find an inn with a vacancy.
(b) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
(c) They sleep under the night sky.
(d) Tom goes knocking on doors.
3. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They want to hear him play.
(b) They don't know the song.
(c) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(d) They are frightened of Tom.
4. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
(a) A new skirt.
(b) A white blouse.
(c) A new blazer.
(d) A necktie.
5. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She yells at him.
(b) She barely recognizes him.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
2. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
3. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
4. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
5. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
2. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
3. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
4. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
5. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
6. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
7. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
8. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
9. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
10. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
This section contains 1,837 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)