|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(a) Scream loudly.
(b) Stay quiet.
(c) Go for a run.
2. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His need for a son.
(b) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
(c) The loss of his wife and baby.
(d) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
3. Why does Zach go back to London?
(a) The war is over.
(b) His parents want him home.
(c) His father has been severly injured.
(d) The Little's no longer want him.
4. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
(a) They were ill.
(b) The war.
(c) They went back to London.
5. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(a) Like two people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
2. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
3. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
4. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
5. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
2. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
3. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
4. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
5. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
6. How does Willie stand up for himself in Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott," and how is this new for him?
7. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
8. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
9. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
10. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)