|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
(a) By bicycle.
(b) By cart.
(c) By train.
(d) By boat.
2. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
(a) Because he stole.
(b) Because he talked back to her.
(c) Because he had presents for her.
(d) Because he has a Jewish friend.
3. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
(a) Her desire not to have friends.
(b) Her lack of wealth.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her accent.
4. How does Tom get Willie out of the hospital?
(a) The warden helps Tom get him out.
(b) He kidnaps him.
(c) The psychiatrist allows Tom to take him.
(d) In an ambulance.
5. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
(a) He does terribly in the rehearsal for the Christmas show.
(b) Everyone wants to know if his father has been using the King kids as slave labor.
(c) He can't sing.
(d) Everyone wants to know if his father has been hitting the King kids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spooky Cott?
2. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
3. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
4. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
5. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
2. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
3. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
4. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
5. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
6. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
7. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
8. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
9. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
10. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)