|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(b) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(c) Sammy is not with Tom.
(d) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
2. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is sad to see it occupied.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
(d) He is excited to see it.
3. What is Willie able to do in the water almost immediately.
4. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
(a) Locked in the kitchen.
(b) Under the stairs in a closet.
(c) Tied to a chair.
(d) In his bedroom.
5. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He sounds monotonous.
(b) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
(c) He stumbles over the words.
(d) He is very silly in his acting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
2. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
3. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
4. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
5. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
2. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
3. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
4. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
5. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
6. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
7. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
8. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
9. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
10. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)