|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
2. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
(a) Captain Hook.
(b) Peter Pan.
(c) A lost boy.
(d) Mr. Smee.
3. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
(a) By cart.
(b) By train.
(c) By boat.
(d) By bicycle.
4. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
(b) Zach's birthday.
(c) Tom's birthday.
(d) Willie's birthday.
5. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
(a) Her lack of wealth.
(b) Her desire not to have friends.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
2. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
3. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
4. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
5. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
2. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
3. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
4. At first, how does Zach's death affect Wiliie?
5. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
6. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
7. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
8. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
9. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
10. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)