|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) A bike for himself.
(b) A fence for Mrs. Little's garden.
(c) A carriage for Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) An easel for Willie.
2. What is Willie able to do in the water almost immediately.
3. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
(b) Sad because Rachel is not there.
(d) Angry because Willie is late.
4. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
(a) A group breaks the door down.
(b) He breaks in.
(c) She lets him in.
(d) Willie lets him in.
5. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
(a) A visit to Spooky Cott.
(b) A breakfast for Tom.
(c) Another play.
(d) A baby shower for Mrs. Hartridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tom taken to his first night in London?
2. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
3. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
4. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
5. How does Zach die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chapter 13, "Carol Singing" a milestone in Tom's life?
2. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
3. How is Willie similar and different from the boy that Tom met at the beginning of the novel?
4. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
5. Chapter 18, is called "Recovery." Specifically, how does Willie begin to recover, and who helps him do so in this chapter?
6. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
7. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
8. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
9. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
10. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)