|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is sad to see it occupied.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
(d) He is excited to see it.
2. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
(a) Anne Hartridge is about to get a telegram.
(b) Mrs. Fletcher is about to get a telegram.
(c) He wants advice about Willie.
(d) He wants to speak with George.
3. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) His mother does not want him to.
(b) He can't memorize the lines.
(c) He is sent back to London.
(d) He has become ill.
4. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
(a) To go home with Tom.
(c) To go back to his mother.
(d) To go to a children's home.
5. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
(a) Take over the choir and play the organ.
(b) Direct the Christmas show.
(c) Cook a big Christmas dinner for the evacuees.
(d) Deliver the mail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
2. Why does Zach go back to London?
3. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
4. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
5. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Zach helped Willie discover himself?
2. Once again, there is great suspense. Describe the suspense in Chapter 17, "The Rescue."
3. What does Tom reveal for the first time in "The Show Must Go On"? Why does he reveal it and to whom?
4. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
5. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
6. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
7. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
8. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
9. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
10. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)