|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) The church is empty.
(b) The church is special to him.
(c) So God will guide him in his drawings.
(d) It is raining outside.
2. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
(a) A book.
(d) A balaclava.
3. Why are George's girls sulking on the way to berry picking?
(a) They want bigger baskets for their berries.
(b) They did not want the evacuues to come.
(c) They don't want to pick berries.
(d) They don't want Lucy to join them.
4. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
(a) He still wets the bed.
(b) The room is not fun.
(c) The room is very small.
(d) He thinks it will anger Tom.
5. What does Willie ask Tom to help him with while he is in the library?
(b) Learning his alphabet.
(c) Finding a book.
(d) Getting a book off of the shelf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
2. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
3. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
4. How does Tom make everyone laugh over Mr. Ruddles's entrance?
5. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
2. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
3. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
4. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
5. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
6. What is the significance of the graveyard?
7. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
8. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
9. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
10. How does Zach's character add to the story?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)