|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(b) Picnic and berry pick.
(c) Play with his sons.
(d) Dig another trench.
2. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) The old lady neighbor.
(b) The school teacher.
(c) A young boy.
(d) A dog.
3. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(b) The rubber sheets are gone.
(c) The bed is larger than before.
(d) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
4. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
(a) Put hymnals on the benches.
(b) Pick up the books.
(c) Sit quietly.
(d) Clean the floor.
5. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
(a) Blackberry jam.
(b) apple and black currant pie
Short Answer Questions
1. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
2. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
3. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
4. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
5. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
2. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
3. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
4. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
5. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
6. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
7. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
8. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
9. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
10. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)