|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The school teacher.
(c) The old lady neighbor.
(d) A dog.
2. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
(a) He wants to stay with Tom and Willie.
(b) He wants to get a hair cut.
(c) He wants to come back the next day.
(d) He wants to take a bath.
3. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is intelligent.
(b) That he is too thin.
(c) That he needs a haircut.
(d) That he is rude.
4. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
(a) Performs a play.
(b) Wrestles with Willie.
(c) Jumps on his bed.
(d) Tap dances.
5. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
(a) That they are upset that Willie is not in their class.
(b) That reading and writing are fun.
(c) That the teachers were mean to put him in Mrs. Black's class.
(d) That they cannot be friends with Willie any longer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
2. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
3. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
4. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
5. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
2. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
3. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
4. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
5. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
6. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
7. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
8. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
9. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
10. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)