|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
(a) To work in the garden.
(b) To practice reading and writing.
(c) To practice drawing.
(d) To practice running.
2. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Tall and thick.
(b) Average and thin.
(c) Small and thin.
(d) Average height and stocky.
3. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
4. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) The war is over.
(b) Their parents could not give the government money.
(c) They are too homesick.
(d) They misbehaved.
5. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
(a) She thinks Tom will take care of him the way his mother can't.
(b) She thinks Willie needs city air when he really needs the country air.
(c) She thinks Willie is in a bad place with Tom and away from his mother.
(d) She thinks Tom will teach Willie things he does not need.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
3. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
4. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
5. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
2. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
4. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
5. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
6. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
7. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
8. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
9. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
10. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
This section contains 1,801 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)