|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(b) Planting the turnips.
(c) New Bible stories.
(d) Learning to write.
2. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(a) Picnic and berry pick.
(c) Dig another trench.
(d) Play with his sons.
3. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
(a) See ya later, alligator.
(b) Roger, wilco, and out.
(c) In a while, crocodile.
(d) Just looking for spies.
4. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
(a) That he has been a bad boy.
(b) That he can't read and write.
(c) That she should come for his birthday.
(d) That she should come get him at once.
5. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) A young boy.
(c) A dog.
(d) The old lady neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
2. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
3. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
4. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
5. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
3. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
4. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
5. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
6. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
7. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
8. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
9. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
10. What is the significance of the graveyard?
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)