|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he needs a haircut.
(b) That he is intelligent.
(c) That he is too thin.
(d) That he is rude.
2. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) A young boy.
(b) A dog.
(c) The old lady neighbor.
(d) The school teacher.
3. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
(b) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) It is a bad day.
(d) He is ready to learn.
4. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
(a) They nudge one another to take notice of Tom.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They jump up to greet him.
(d) They snicker.
5. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
(a) That she should come for his birthday.
(b) That he can't read and write.
(c) That he has been a bad boy.
(d) That she should come get him at once.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
2. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
3. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
4. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
5. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
2. How does Zach's character add to the story?
3. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
4. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
5. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
6. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
7. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
8. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
9. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
10. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)