|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie ask Tom to help him with while he is in the library?
(a) Learning his alphabet.
(b) Finding a book.
(d) Getting a book off of the shelf.
2. What happens to Willie's desserts at the picnic?
(a) He eats them all.
(b) He hides what he can't eat.
(c) The other children help him finish them.
(d) Ants raid them.
3. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) Sam is licking his face.
(b) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(c) He was terrible at running.
(d) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
4. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
5. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
(a) The boy from the post office.
(b) Lucy, the daughter of Roe, the milk lady.
(c) Mrs. Hartridge, the teacher.
(d) The twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
2. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
3. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
5. What upsets Carrie about George?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
2. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
3. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
4. How does Zach's character add to the story?
5. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
6. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
7. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
8. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
9. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
10. What is the significance of the graveyard?
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)