|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their walk in Chapter 2, what does Willie do for Tom?
(a) He whistles to him.
(b) He carries his bag.
(c) He walks the dog.
(d) He picks berries.
2. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is fat.
(c) She is funny.
(d) She is mean looking.
3. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) Kind and sweet.
(b) Mean and nasty.
(c) A gossip.
4. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
(a) He has no time.
(b) He doesn't need paint.
(c) Willie is afraid to go in.
(d) He hasn't been in there since Rachel died.
5. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Little's building?
2. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
3. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
4. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
5. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
2. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
3. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
4. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
5. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
6. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
7. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
8. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
9. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
10. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)