|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
(b) Sam is licking his face.
(c) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(d) He was terrible at running.
2. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
(a) That he has been a bad boy.
(b) That she should come for his birthday.
(c) That he can't read and write.
(d) That she should come get him at once.
3. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) The church is special to him.
(b) So God will guide him in his drawings.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) The church is empty.
4. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for himself.
(b) Black material for the windows at night.
(d) Clothes for Willie.
5. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep invaders from their homes.
(b) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(c) To keep out the early morning sun.
(d) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
2. How old is Willie?
3. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
4. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
5. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the graveyard?
2. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
3. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
4. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
5. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
6. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
7. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
8. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
9. How does Zach's character add to the story?
10. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)