|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Zach bring to the kids about school?
(a) Mrs. Hartrigde is pregnant.
(b) There will be a Christmas play.
(c) There will be a big carol chorus for Christmas.
(d) The school will close because of the war.
2. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) He was terrible at running.
(b) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(c) Sam is licking his face.
(d) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
3. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
(b) A book.
(d) A balaclava.
4. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Extra eggs.
(b) Bones for Sammy.
(c) Extra milk.
5. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He sleeps soundly for the first time in his life.
(b) He has a wonderful dream.
(c) He wets the bed.
(d) He cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zach so excited to get Willie home from the church?
2. How does the boy at the postmaster's differ from Wilie?
3. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
4. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
5. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
3. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
4. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
5. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
6. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
7. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
8. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
9. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
10. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
This section contains 1,651 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)