|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the young Fletcher boys come looking for at Tom's?
(b) Their dad.
2. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) Kind and sweet.
(c) Mean and nasty.
(d) A gossip.
3. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
(a) She is wearing pants.
(b) She enters without her husband.
(c) She is wearing red.
(d) She is with the boy from the post office.
4. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She taliks to Willie during the service.
(b) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
(c) She sings too loudly.
(d) She attempts to sit next to him.
5. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(a) Picnic and berry pick.
(b) Play with his sons.
(c) Dig another trench.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
2. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
3. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
4. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
5. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
2. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
3. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
4. What are the signs that both Tom and Willie are healing?
5. What is the significance of the graveyard?
6. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
7. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
8. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
9. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
10. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)