|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
(d) Pick berries.
2. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
(a) To eat supper.
(b) To build a room for Willie.
(c) To dig a trench.
(d) To teach Willie about God.
3. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
(a) A pack of dogs.
(b) A large group of children.
(d) A small group of children.
4. Why is Zach so excited to get Willie home from the church?
(a) He wants Willie to show everyone the drawing.
(b) Lucy baked cookies for him.
(c) His mother sent a gift.
(d) There is a surprise party for him.
5. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
2. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
3. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
4. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
5. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zach's character add to the story?
2. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
3. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
4. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
5. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
6. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
7. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
8. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
9. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
10. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)