|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She taliks to Willie during the service.
(b) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
(c) She sings too loudly.
(d) She attempts to sit next to him.
2. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) They are too homesick.
(b) Their parents could not give the government money.
(c) The war is over.
(d) They misbehaved.
3. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
(a) Knit a jersey for Willie.
(b) Buy boots for Willie.
(c) Knit Tom a jersey.
(d) Take Willie from Tom.
4. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
(a) She is wearing pants.
(b) She is with the boy from the post office.
(c) She is wearing red.
(d) She enters without her husband.
5. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
(a) A belt.
(b) A dirty toothbrush.
(c) A Bible.
(d) Night clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Tom go to the draper?
2. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
3. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
4. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
5. In Chapter 1, what is on the sleeve of the woman's coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
2. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
4. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
5. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
6. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
7. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
8. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
9. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
10. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
This section contains 1,599 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)