|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) His mother's.
(b) The vicar's.
(c) The boy from the post office.
(d) A dog's.
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) The dog licked his face.
(b) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(c) He ate potatoes.
(d) Tom let him cook.
3. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) Mean and nasty.
(b) A gossip.
(d) Kind and sweet.
4. Why is Willie afraid of the bath?
(a) He does not know how to swim.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is too big.
(d) His mother says bathing is sinful.
5. What happens to Willie's desserts at the picnic?
(a) He eats them all.
(b) The other children help him finish them.
(c) He hides what he can't eat.
(d) Ants raid them.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
2. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
3. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
4. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
5. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zach's character add to the story?
2. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
3. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
4. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
5. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
6. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
7. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
8. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
9. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
10. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
This section contains 1,542 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)