|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
(a) To build a room for Willie.
(b) To teach Willie about God.
(c) To eat supper.
(d) To dig a trench.
2. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
(a) Willie can't keep up.
(b) Willie is afraid to go.
(c) Willie does not want to go.
(d) Willie has no boots, so he can't go.
3. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(b) It is much more crowded.
(c) There are no Catholics.
(d) The evacuees have their own room.
4. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
(a) Milk a cow.
(b) Knock at the door.
(c) Lock the gates.
(d) Ride the horse.
5. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
(b) Pick berries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
2. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
3. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
4. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
5. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
3. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
4. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
5. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
6. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
7. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
8. How does Zach's character add to the story?
9. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
10. What is the significance of the graveyard?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)