|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is ready to learn.
(b) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) It is a bad day.
(d) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
2. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
(a) To practice reading and writing.
(b) To practice running.
(c) To practice drawing.
(d) To work in the garden.
3. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
(b) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(c) Sam is licking his face.
(d) He was terrible at running.
4. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(a) Learning to write.
(b) New Bible stories.
(d) Planting the turnips.
5. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
(c) Sodom and Gomarah.
(d) Noah's Ark.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Willie's room changed?
2. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
3. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
4. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
5. Why hasn't Willie painted at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
2. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
3. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
4. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
5. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
6. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
7. What is the significance of the graveyard?
8. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
9. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
10. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)