|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie afraid of the bath?
(a) His mother says bathing is sinful.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) It is too big.
(d) He does not know how to swim.
2. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
(a) Deliver books.
(b) Teach Willie rhymes and poems.
(d) Keep Willie company.
3. How old is Tom?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his thirties.
(d) In his sixties.
4. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He wets the bed.
(b) He cries.
(c) He has a wonderful dream.
(d) He sleeps soundly for the first time in his life.
5. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) They are too homesick.
(b) The war is over.
(c) They misbehaved.
(d) Their parents could not give the government money.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
2. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
3. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
4. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
5. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
2. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
3. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
4. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
5. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
6. What is the significance of the graveyard?
7. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
8. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
9. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
10. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)