|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
(a) He says Willie is too thin to take off his shirt.
(b) He says it is no one's business.
(c) He says Willie has a fever he needs to sweat out.
(d) He says Willie has bruises he needs to cover.
2. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for Willie.
(b) Clothes for himself.
(d) Black material for the windows at night.
3. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
4. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(b) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(c) The bed is larger than before.
(d) The rubber sheets are gone.
5. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) Willie can't buy one.
(b) Willie is afraid he will break one.
(c) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(d) He does not want to be alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
2. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
4. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
5. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
3. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
4. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
5. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
6. How is Chapter 16, "The Search" suspenseful?
7. How is Willie's "growth" that he expresses to Tom twofold at the end of the novel?
8. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
9. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)