|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(b) The evacuees have their own room.
(c) There are no Catholics.
(d) It is much more crowded.
2. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
(a) A tub of hot water.
(b) A new mattress.
(c) Breakfast in bed.
(d) A new comic book.
3. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(a) New Bible stories.
(b) Planting the turnips.
(c) Learning to write.
4. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
5. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
(a) Help at the school.
(b) Run a canteen.
(c) First-aid post.
(d) Fire-watching duties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zach tell Willie that his parents do for a living?
2. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
4. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
5. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
2. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
3. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
4. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
5. How is Willie's "growth" that he expresses to Tom twofold at the end of the novel?
6. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
7. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
8. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
9. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
10. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)