|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom cook for WiIlie on that first day?
2. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Small and thin.
(b) Average height and stocky.
(c) Tall and thick.
(d) Average and thin.
3. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
(b) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(c) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(d) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
4. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
(a) Willie is kind.
(b) Willie is a talker.
(c) Willie is afraid.
(d) WIllie is a loner.
5. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
(a) He says Willie has a fever he needs to sweat out.
(b) He says it is no one's business.
(c) He says Willie is too thin to take off his shirt.
(d) He says Willie has bruises he needs to cover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
2. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
3. How old is Tom?
4. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
5. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
2. In Chapter 15, "Home," what more does the reader learn about Mrs. Beech that has not been revealed before this chapter?
3. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
4. Why is the entrance of the post-office boy suspenseful?
5. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
6. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
7. How does the war change the lives of those in Weirwold forever in Chapter 21, "Back to School"?
8. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
9. By the end of Chapter 19, "The Sea! The Sea! The Sea!," Tom's character has changed from the man that he was before Willie came into his life. How has Tom changed and how is it specifically seen in this chapter?
10. What do Willie and Rachel have in common, and how does it affect Tom in the "Birthday" chapter?
This section contains 1,608 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)