|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
(b) Blackberry jam.
(c) apple and black currant pie
2. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) Paint supplies.
(b) A war poster.
(c) A gas mask.
(d) Comic books.
3. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Extra eggs.
(b) Bones for Sammy.
(c) Extra milk.
4. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(b) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(c) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
(d) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
5. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
(a) He is very small for his age.
(b) He has so many bruises.
(c) His socks have fallen down.
(d) He has lice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
2. What do the young Fletcher boys come looking for at Tom's?
3. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
4. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
5. What does Tom add to the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Willie's "growth" that he expresses to Tom twofold at the end of the novel?
2. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
3. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
4. What is the relationship between Zach and his parents? Why would the reader question this relationship?
5. Why is the fact that Carrie puts on Zach's shorts such a big deal?
6. Whose points of view are seen throughout Chapter 16, "The Search"? Explain what is seen by each.
7. Once again in this novel, two people with tragedy in their lives will come together and help each other heal. In Chapter 20, "Spooky Cott" who does Willie meet and how will their meeting help each of them?
8. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
9. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
10. How does Zach's character add to the story?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)