|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
(a) The room is very small.
(b) He thinks it will anger Tom.
(c) He still wets the bed.
(d) The room is not fun.
2. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
(a) He no longer wets the bed.
(b) He no longer has any bruises.
(c) They learn that he has been beaten.
(d) He no longer feels frightened.
3. How old is Tom?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his sixties.
(d) In his forties.
4. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
(a) They are the marks of his sins.
(b) He doesn't care if people see them.
(c) He has not deserved them.
(d) He is unfazed by them.
5. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
(a) A new mattress.
(b) A new comic book.
(c) Breakfast in bed.
(d) A tub of hot water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What big gift does Tom give to Willie for his birthday?
2. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
3. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
4. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
5. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
2. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
3. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
4. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
5. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
6. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
7. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
8. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
9. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
10. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)