|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(b) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(c) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
(d) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
2. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Tall and thick.
(b) Average height and stocky.
(c) Small and thin.
(d) Average and thin.
3. What happens to Willie's desserts at the picnic?
(a) He eats them all.
(b) He hides what he can't eat.
(c) The other children help him finish them.
(d) Ants raid them.
4. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) White Fang.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Just So Stories.
5. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Willie can look at the pictures.
(b) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(c) Willie can learn to read using it.
(d) Tom will read it to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
2. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
3. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
4. What does Zach tell Willie that his parents do for a living?
5. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
2. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
3. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
4. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
5. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
6. What does Tom volunteer for at the meeting and how does this show growth in his character?
7. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
8. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
9. How does Willie become humiliated at school on the first day? What do the children do to make him feel better?
10. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
This section contains 1,767 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)