|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Tom?
(a) In his sixties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his forties.
2. Why is Doctor Little surprised when he looks at Willie?
(a) His socks have fallen down.
(b) He is very small for his age.
(c) He has so many bruises.
(d) He has lice.
3. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Extra eggs.
(c) Bones for Sammy.
(d) Extra milk.
4. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
(a) He never had to choose a candy before.
(b) He has never seen candy before.
(c) He does not know what the shopkeeper is asking.
(d) He does not understand what Tom wants him to do.
5. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
2. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
3. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
4. What does Willie ask Tom to help him with while he is in the library?
5. How has Willie's room changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a project does Miss Thorne and Geoffrey put together for the first day of school, and how does this project show that these two will make a good team of teachers?
2. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
3. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
4. How do the psychiatrist and Tom differ in their assessment of Willie's recovery needs?
5. How does Willie begin to fit in with the children and what affect does this have on him?
6. How does Tom feel about the war? What does he say and do that indicate those feelings?
7. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
8. Now that Willie has arrived back in London, both he and his mother can see how much he has changed. What changes are there in Willie and how do these changes affect his relationship with his mother?
9. How does the choir respond to Mr. Tom on his first night of organ playing for the carol service?
10. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)