|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is funny.
(c) She is fat.
(d) She is mean looking.
2. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
(a) That she should come for his birthday.
(b) That she should come get him at once.
(c) That he can't read and write.
(d) That he has been a bad boy.
3. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
(a) A good whipping is given.
(b) Wailing of sins by everyone.
(c) Kneeling in prayer for a long time.
(d) A big meal is served.
4. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To let Willie have more than three books.
(b) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(c) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(d) To help Willie find picture books.
5. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
(a) A brown bag.
(b) An apple.
(c) A computer.
(d) A jacket.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
2. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
3. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
5. On their walk in Chapter 2, what does Willie do for Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
2. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
3. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
4. What is "The Case" that is spoken of in the chapter title, and how does it reveal the differences between Zach and the other children?
5. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
6. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
7. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
8. How do the townspeople react to Tom's attendance at the meeting and why?
9. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
10. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)