|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) Their parents could not give the government money.
(b) The war is over.
(c) They misbehaved.
(d) They are too homesick.
2. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
(a) Help at the school.
(b) Fire-watching duties.
(c) Run a canteen.
(d) First-aid post.
3. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
(a) Dobbs licks Willie's hand.
(b) Dobbs nips at Willie's hand.
(c) Dobbs neighs.
(d) Dobbs sends Willie stumbling backwards.
4. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) An orchard.
(c) A pond.
(d) A garden.
5. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
(a) He isn't given the choice of red.
(b) Tom says he doesn't like red.
(c) His mother told him red was sinful.
(d) Willie doesn't like red.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Carrie about George?
2. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
3. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
4. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
5. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
2. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
3. What is the significance of the graveyard?
4. What further happens in Chapter 3 that make the reader sympathize even more with Willie?
5. What is the overall feeling of the townspeople about the war? What actions do they perform that reveal their feelings?
6. Why are George's sisters upset with George on the day of the picnic, and what does this say about the way that they think?
7. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
8. What astonishing discoveries are made at the library?
9. How is Zach different from any other character the reader has met in the book? Who notes the difference? What possible affect will the difference have on the plot of the story?
10. How does Willie feel at the end of the day after going to town?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)