|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
(a) Keep Willie company.
(c) Deliver books.
(d) Teach Willie rhymes and poems.
2. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is funny.
(b) She is mean looking.
(c) She is fat.
(d) She is beautiful.
3. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(a) Ice cream.
(c) Gas mask.
4. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) So God will guide him in his drawings.
(b) The church is special to him.
(c) The church is empty.
(d) It is raining outside.
5. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
(a) Dobbs sends Willie stumbling backwards.
(b) Dobbs licks Willie's hand.
(c) Dobbs neighs.
(d) Dobbs nips at Willie's hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
2. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
3. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
4. What upsets Carrie about George?
5. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Willie feel about Zach and what indicators are there about the way their friendship will or will not develop?
2. Throughout Chapter 5, how does Tom show his care for Willie?
3. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
4. What are Sundays like for Willie at home with his mother? How do those Sundays differ from the Sundays he has with Tom?
5. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
6. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
7. What changes come over Tom as he takes Willie into town and spends the day with him?
8. What is the meaning of the title of Chapter 4?
9. Christmas is on its way. What events does Christmas bring and how will the children participate?
10. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)