|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
(a) He says Willie has a fever he needs to sweat out.
(b) He says Willie has bruises he needs to cover.
(c) He says Willie is too thin to take off his shirt.
(d) He says it is no one's business.
2. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
(b) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(c) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(d) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
3. What happens to Willie's desserts at the picnic?
(a) He eats them all.
(b) He hides what he can't eat.
(c) Ants raid them.
(d) The other children help him finish them.
4. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because he is Catholic.
(c) Because he can't read.
(d) Because he is an evacuee.
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) The dog licked his face.
(b) Tom let him cook.
(c) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(d) He ate potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
2. Why doesn't Willie talk to the girls as they pick blackberries?
3. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
4. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
5. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, "New Beginnings," there are a few actual new beginnings. What are they, and what changes will they bring to the lives of the characters?
2. How does Tom help Willie with the humiliation that he feels after his first day at school and what do the two of them discover about Willie?
3. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
4. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
5. What does everyone at the rehearsal discover about Willie? How does this discovery affect him? How is this discovery not surprising?
6. What does Tom do to the shelter and what is its relevance?
7. Who is Chamberlain? What does he announce? And what will the effects of this announcement be on Tom and Willie?
8. Why is the fact that Carrie puts on Zach's shorts such a big deal?
9. What "firsts" does Willie experience in the "Birthday" chapter and how does he respond to them?
10. How has the war begun to affect the villagers?
This section contains 1,621 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)