|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(b) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(c) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
(d) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
2. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
(b) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
(c) She breastfeeds the baby.
(d) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
3. What happens to Trudy?
(a) She goes with her mother.
(b) She is hospitalized.
(c) She is never found.
(d) She dies.
4. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
(a) Because the people there only pretended to care.
(b) So he would not be such a sinner.
(c) Because he missed his mother.
(d) So he would always think his mom was kind and loving.
5. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
(a) If Carrie can give her a present for the baby.
(b) If Carrie can take the high school entrance exam.
(c) If Carrie can help Willie with his writing.
(d) If Carrie can sit next to George.
6. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He stumbles over the words.
(b) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
(c) He sounds monotonous.
(d) He is very silly in his acting.
7. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is sad to see it occupied.
(b) He is excited to see it.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
8. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(a) Fish town.
(c) Salty mouth.
9. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
(a) A visit to Spooky Cott.
(b) Another play.
(c) A baby shower for Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) A breakfast for Tom.
10. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
(a) She lets him in.
(b) Willie lets him in.
(c) A group breaks the door down.
(d) He breaks in.
11. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
(a) Under the stairs in a closet.
(b) Tied to a chair.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) Locked in the kitchen.
12. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(c) Like two people.
13. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A drawing.
(d) A piece of sculpture.
14. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
(a) He is happy that they are so loud.
(b) He is gruff because they have bad harmony.
(c) He is gruff because they are too solemn.
(d) He is happy that they sound so good together.
15. What do Geoffrey and Miss Thorne decide on for their first lesson?
(a) A poetry project.
(b) An art pfoject.
(c) A nature project.
(d) A science project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spooky Cott?
2. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
3. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
4. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
5. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)