|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(c) Willie's mother.
2. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
(a) Peter Pan.
(b) Captain Hook.
(c) A lost boy.
(d) Mr. Smee.
3. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) He is sent back to London.
(b) He has become ill.
(c) His mother does not want him to.
(d) He can't memorize the lines.
4. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) They find an inn with a vacancy.
(b) They sleep under the night sky.
(c) Tom goes knocking on doors.
(d) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
5. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
(a) Line prompter.
(b) Assistant director.
(c) Costume designer.
(d) Script blocker.
6. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
(a) A picture of Tom.
(b) The baby.
(c) His paintings.
(d) A Bible.
7. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
(a) He wants to speak with George.
(b) Mrs. Fletcher is about to get a telegram.
(c) Anne Hartridge is about to get a telegram.
(d) He wants advice about Willie.
8. Which is NOT one of the reasons that Zach is worried about his parents?
(a) They have new jobs helping with the war effort.
(b) There has been a blitz in London.
(c) They are in the middle of a show.
(d) He has not received a note from them at the vacation spot.
9. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He is very silly in his acting.
(b) He sounds monotonous.
(c) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
(d) He stumbles over the words.
10. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
(b) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
(d) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
11. What has become of Mrs. Beech?
(a) She has committed suicide.
(b) She has been sent to an insane asylum.
(c) She has been sent to jail.
(d) She has been sent to a hosptial.
12. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She cries.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She barely recognizes him.
(d) She yells at him.
13. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(b) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(c) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
(d) George will not be attending high school.
14. How does Zach die?
(a) Blitzes in London.
(b) In a fire.
(c) A train crash on his way to London.
(d) His bus is blown up.
15. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(b) Like two people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
2. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
3. Why does Zach go back to London?
4. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
5. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)