|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zach die?
(a) His bus is blown up.
(b) Blitzes in London.
(c) In a fire.
(d) A train crash on his way to London.
2. What do Geoffrey and Miss Thorne decide on for their first lesson?
(a) An art pfoject.
(b) A poetry project.
(c) A science project.
(d) A nature project.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(a) Scream loudly.
(b) Stay quiet.
(d) Go for a run.
4. What news does Mrs. Hartridge share with Willie?
(a) Willie will get over Zach's death.
(b) She is returning to teaching.
(c) Her husband is alive.
(d) Miss Thorne and Geoffrey will marry.
5. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
(a) Everythin' will work out.
(b) Everythin' has a reason.
(c) Everythin' has its own time.
(d) Everythin' will be all right.
6. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
(a) Assistant director.
(b) Costume designer.
(c) Line prompter.
(d) Script blocker.
7. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(b) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(c) Sammy is not with Tom.
(d) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
8. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
(b) She breastfeeds the baby.
(c) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
(d) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
9. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
(a) A picture of Tom.
(b) The baby.
(c) His paintings.
(d) A Bible.
10. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
(b) Willie's birthday.
(c) Zach's birthday.
(d) Tom's birthday.
11. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
(a) Anne Hartridge is about to get a telegram.
(b) He wants advice about Willie.
(c) He wants to speak with George.
(d) Mrs. Fletcher is about to get a telegram.
12. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They are frightened of Tom.
(b) They want to hear him play.
(c) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(d) They don't know the song.
13. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
(a) A drawing.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A piece of sculpture.
14. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
(b) He will quit.
(c) He will play the role of Scrooge.
(d) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
15. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
(b) His need for a son.
(c) The loss of his wife and baby.
(d) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
2. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
3. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
4. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
5. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)