|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(b) Willie's mother.
2. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
(c) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(d) George will not be attending high school.
3. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
(a) Write poetry.
(c) Act in a play.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
4. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
(a) A piece of sculpture.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A drawing.
5. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
(a) Teach art classes at night.
(b) Teach art at the school.
(c) Open an art school.
(d) Give individual art lessons.
6. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She yells at him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She barely recognizes him.
7. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
(a) If Carrie can give her a present for the baby.
(b) If Carrie can take the high school entrance exam.
(c) If Carrie can sit next to George.
(d) If Carrie can help Willie with his writing.
8. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(b) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(c) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
(d) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
9. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Fish town.
(d) Salty mouth.
10. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
(a) Being locked in a tiny space with no air.
(b) Rachel's death.
(c) Mrs. Beech.
(d) Bombings in London.
11. What has become of Mrs. Beech?
(a) She has been sent to a hosptial.
(b) She has committed suicide.
(c) She has been sent to jail.
(d) She has been sent to an insane asylum.
12. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
(a) Everythin' will work out.
(b) Everythin' has a reason.
(c) Everythin' will be all right.
(d) Everythin' has its own time.
13. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They want to hear him play.
(b) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(c) They are frightened of Tom.
(d) They don't know the song.
14. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) He can't memorize the lines.
(b) He has become ill.
(c) He is sent back to London.
(d) His mother does not want him to.
15. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
(b) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(c) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(d) Sammy is not with Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Tom, Zach, and Willie travel to the fishing village?
2. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
3. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
4. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
5. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)