|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
(a) Willie lets him in.
(b) She lets him in.
(c) He breaks in.
(d) A group breaks the door down.
2. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
(a) A copy of Tom Sawyer.
(b) A photograph of Zach's father.
(c) A copy of Shakespeare's works.
(d) A picture of the two boys.
3. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
(b) He will quit.
(c) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
(d) He will play the role of Scrooge.
4. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(b) Willie's mother.
5. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They don't know the song.
(b) They want to hear him play.
(c) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(d) They are frightened of Tom.
6. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) He can't memorize the lines.
(b) He is sent back to London.
(c) He has become ill.
(d) His mother does not want him to.
7. At the end of Chapter 17, "the Rescue," where do Tom and Willie sleep?
(a) At the blacksmith's house.
(b) At Doctor Little's house.
(c) In the back of Dobb's carriage.
(d) At Tom's house.
8. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) A fence for Mrs. Little's garden.
(b) An easel for Willie.
(c) A carriage for Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) A bike for himself.
9. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
(a) He has lost an arm and a leg.
(b) He has lost an ear and a leg.
(c) He has lost an both legs.
(d) He has lost an ear and an arm.
10. Who goes with Tom to London?
(c) Mrs. Fletcher.
11. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(b) Sammy is not with Tom.
(c) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
(d) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
12. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(a) Stay quiet.
(b) Scream loudly.
(c) Go for a run.
13. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
(b) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(c) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(d) George will not be attending high school.
14. What has Tom volunteered to do at the end of "The Show Must Go On"?
(a) Take over the choir and play the organ.
(b) Direct the Christmas show.
(c) Deliver the mail.
(d) Cook a big Christmas dinner for the evacuees.
15. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
(a) He is gruff because they are too solemn.
(b) He is happy that they sound so good together.
(c) He is gruff because they have bad harmony.
(d) He is happy that they are so loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's motto that he expresses once again with Willie when Tom talks about Willie's weak legs?
2. What is Willie able to do in the water almost immediately.
3. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
4. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
5. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)