|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
(a) Because he talked back to her.
(b) Because he had presents for her.
(c) Because he has a Jewish friend.
(d) Because he stole.
2. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
(a) That Zach is gone forever.
(b) That he cannot live without Zach.
(c) That God is good.
(d) That Willie is now a whole person.
3. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(b) George will not be attending high school.
(c) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
4. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They are frightened of Tom.
(b) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(c) They don't know the song.
(d) They want to hear him play.
5. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
(a) A breakfast for Tom.
(b) Another play.
(c) A visit to Spooky Cott.
(d) A baby shower for Mrs. Hartridge.
6. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
(a) Her lack of wealth.
(b) Her intelligence.
(c) Her desire not to have friends.
(d) Her accent.
7. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) He can't memorize the lines.
(b) He is sent back to London.
(c) His mother does not want him to.
(d) He has become ill.
8. How does Zach die?
(a) In a fire.
(b) A train crash on his way to London.
(c) His bus is blown up.
(d) Blitzes in London.
9. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Fish town.
(d) Salty mouth.
10. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(c) Willie's mother.
11. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
(a) Sad because Rachel is not there.
(b) Angry because Willie is late.
12. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
(a) He is gruff because they have bad harmony.
(b) He is gruff because they are too solemn.
(c) He is happy that they are so loud.
(d) He is happy that they sound so good together.
13. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge.
(b) Tom's house.
(c) The twins.
(d) An old man in an alleyway.
14. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
(b) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
(d) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
15. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
2. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
3. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
4. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
5. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)