|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He sounds monotonous.
(b) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
(c) He is very silly in his acting.
(d) He stumbles over the words.
2. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
(a) Rachel's death.
(b) Being locked in a tiny space with no air.
(c) Bombings in London.
(d) Mrs. Beech.
3. Why does Zach go back to London?
(a) His father has been severly injured.
(b) His parents want him home.
(c) The Little's no longer want him.
(d) The war is over.
4. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
(a) An old man in an alleyway.
(b) The twins.
(c) Tom's house.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge.
5. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
(a) He has lost an both legs.
(b) He has lost an ear and an arm.
(c) He has lost an ear and a leg.
(d) He has lost an arm and a leg.
6. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) A cat.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(c) A "haunted" cottage.
(d) An old school house.
7. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
(b) A piece of sculpture.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A drawing.
8. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
(b) Write poetry.
(c) Act in a play.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
9. Why doesn't the choir sing when Tom begins to play?
(a) They are afraid they will not sound good.
(b) They want to hear him play.
(c) They are frightened of Tom.
(d) They don't know the song.
10. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
(a) Another play.
(b) A visit to Spooky Cott.
(c) A breakfast for Tom.
(d) A baby shower for Mrs. Hartridge.
11. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(b) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(c) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(d) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
12. What news does Mrs. Hartridge share with Willie?
(a) She is returning to teaching.
(b) Her husband is alive.
(c) Miss Thorne and Geoffrey will marry.
(d) Willie will get over Zach's death.
13. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(b) Stay quiet.
(c) Go for a run.
(d) Scream loudly.
14. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
(b) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(c) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(d) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
15. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She barely recognizes him.
(b) She yells at him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She hugs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
2. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
3. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
4. Who goes with Tom to London?
5. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)