|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is sad to see it occupied.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is excited to see it.
(d) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
2. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(a) Like two people.
3. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
(b) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(d) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
4. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
(a) A picture of Tom.
(b) A Bible.
(c) His paintings.
(d) The baby.
5. Why does Zach go back to London?
(a) His parents want him home.
(b) The Little's no longer want him.
(c) His father has been severly injured.
(d) The war is over.
6. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
(b) She breastfeeds the baby.
(c) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
(d) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
7. How does Zach die?
(a) His bus is blown up.
(b) Blitzes in London.
(c) In a fire.
(d) A train crash on his way to London.
8. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) A "haunted" cottage.
(b) An old school house.
(c) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(d) A cat.
9. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
(a) To go back to his mother.
(b) To go home with Tom.
(c) To go to a children's home.
10. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
(a) Because he talked back to her.
(b) Because he has a Jewish friend.
(c) Because he stole.
(d) Because he had presents for her.
11. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
(a) That he cannot live without Zach.
(b) That God is good.
(c) That Zach is gone forever.
(d) That Willie is now a whole person.
12. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
(b) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(c) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(d) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
13. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
(a) A picture of the two boys.
(b) A copy of Tom Sawyer.
(c) A photograph of Zach's father.
(d) A copy of Shakespeare's works.
14. At the end of Chapter 17, "the Rescue," where do Tom and Willie sleep?
(a) At Tom's house.
(b) At the blacksmith's house.
(c) At Doctor Little's house.
(d) In the back of Dobb's carriage.
15. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(b) Willie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie decide about the play?
2. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
3. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
4. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
5. After finishing the scenery for the Christmas show, what job does Willie next take on?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)