|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Tom taken to his first night in London?
(b) Mrs. Beech's house.
(c) A shelter.
(d) An alleyway.
2. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
(b) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(d) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
3. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) A bike for himself.
(b) A fence for Mrs. Little's garden.
(c) An easel for Willie.
(d) A carriage for Mrs. Hartridge.
4. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Sammy is not with Tom.
(b) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(c) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(d) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
5. What news does Mrs. Hartridge share with Willie?
(a) Willie will get over Zach's death.
(b) Miss Thorne and Geoffrey will marry.
(c) Her husband is alive.
(d) She is returning to teaching.
6. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
(a) She thinks she is above everyone else.
(b) She beats her child.
(c) She is a good person.
(d) She is a hard worker.
7. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
(a) She cries.
(b) She barely recognizes him.
(c) She yells at him.
(d) She hugs him.
8. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His need for a son.
(b) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
(c) The loss of his wife and baby.
(d) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
9. Which is NOT one of the reasons that Zach is worried about his parents?
(a) They have new jobs helping with the war effort.
(b) He has not received a note from them at the vacation spot.
(c) There has been a blitz in London.
(d) They are in the middle of a show.
10. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
(a) Her accent.
(b) Her desire not to have friends.
(c) Her lack of wealth.
(d) Her intelligence.
11. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(b) Like two people.
12. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
(b) Write poetry.
(c) Act in a play.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
13. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(b) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(c) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(d) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
14. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(b) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
(c) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(d) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
15. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
(a) Teach art at the school.
(b) Teach art classes at night.
(c) Open an art school.
(d) Give individual art lessons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
2. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
3. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
4. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
5. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)