|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She breastfeeds the baby.
(b) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
(c) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
(d) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
2. How does Tom get Willie out of the hospital?
(a) In an ambulance.
(b) He kidnaps him.
(c) The warden helps Tom get him out.
(d) The psychiatrist allows Tom to take him.
3. What is Tom's first reaction to the singing of the choir?
(a) He is gruff because they have bad harmony.
(b) He is happy that they sound so good together.
(c) He is gruff because they are too solemn.
(d) He is happy that they are so loud.
4. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
(b) They went back to London.
(c) The war.
(d) They were ill.
5. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
(a) He is very silly in his acting.
(b) He mesmerizes everyone with his ability.
(c) He sounds monotonous.
(d) He stumbles over the words.
6. How does Zach die?
(a) In a fire.
(b) Blitzes in London.
(c) A train crash on his way to London.
(d) His bus is blown up.
7. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(a) Like two people.
8. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
9. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
(a) Mrs. Beech.
(b) Bombings in London.
(c) Being locked in a tiny space with no air.
(d) Rachel's death.
10. What does Willie learn from talking to Zach's spirit?
(a) That God is good.
(b) That Zach is gone forever.
(c) That he cannot live without Zach.
(d) That Willie is now a whole person.
11. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) A cat.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(c) A "haunted" cottage.
(d) An old school house.
12. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
(a) A necktie.
(b) A white blouse.
(c) A new blazer.
(d) A new skirt.
13. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
(a) Open an art school.
(b) Teach art at the school.
(c) Teach art classes at night.
(d) Give individual art lessons.
14. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
(a) His paintings.
(b) A picture of Tom.
(c) The baby.
(d) A Bible.
15. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Salty mouth.
(d) Fish town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
2. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
3. How does Mrs. Beech first react when she sees Willie at the train station?
4. Which is NOT one of the reasons that Zach is worried about his parents?
5. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)