|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge.
(b) An old man in an alleyway.
(c) Tom's house.
(d) The twins.
2. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) They sleep under the night sky.
(b) Tom goes knocking on doors.
(c) They find an inn with a vacancy.
(d) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
3. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His need for a son.
(b) The loss of his wife and baby.
(c) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
(d) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
4. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
(a) Teach art classes at night.
(b) Teach art at the school.
(c) Open an art school.
(d) Give individual art lessons.
5. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) George will not be attending high school.
(b) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(c) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
6. On one visit to Willie, Zach brings up one subject a few times that disturbs Willie. What is it?
(d) Willie's mother.
7. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
(a) She thinks she is above everyone else.
(b) She is a good person.
(c) She beats her child.
(d) She is a hard worker.
8. How does Zach die?
(a) Blitzes in London.
(b) In a fire.
(c) His bus is blown up.
(d) A train crash on his way to London.
9. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(b) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
(c) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(d) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
10. How does Tom get into Mrs. Beech's house?
(a) Willie lets him in.
(b) She lets him in.
(c) A group breaks the door down.
(d) He breaks in.
11. At the end of Chapter 17, "the Rescue," where do Tom and Willie sleep?
(a) At Doctor Little's house.
(b) At the blacksmith's house.
(c) In the back of Dobb's carriage.
(d) At Tom's house.
12. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
(a) He has lost an arm and a leg.
(b) He has lost an ear and an arm.
(c) He has lost an both legs.
(d) He has lost an ear and a leg.
13. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
(a) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because the bombing is worse.
(b) She wants Willie home because she is sick.
(c) She wants Willie to stay with Tom because she can't care for him.
(d) She wants Willie home because the war is over.
14. What is Willie able to do in the water almost immediately.
15. What separates Carrie from the other girls at the high shool?
(a) Her lack of wealth.
(b) Her accent.
(c) Her desire not to have friends.
(d) Her intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
2. What is Spooky Cott?
3. Where does Willie's mother put him after she beats him?
4. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
5. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)