|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beech beat Willie?
(a) Because he talked back to her.
(b) Because he has a Jewish friend.
(c) Because he had presents for her.
(d) Because he stole.
2. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
(a) Act in a play.
(b) Ride a bicycle.
(c) Write poetry.
3. What is Spooky Cott?
(a) A "haunted" cottage.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge's home.
(c) A cat.
(d) An old school house.
4. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
(b) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
(c) He will quit.
(d) He will play the role of Scrooge.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(b) Stay quiet.
(c) Scream loudly.
(d) Go for a run.
6. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
(a) Because the people there only pretended to care.
(b) So he would not be such a sinner.
(c) So he would always think his mom was kind and loving.
(d) Because he missed his mother.
7. How does Zach feel about Spooky Cott?
(a) He is mesmerized by the music coming from it.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) He is sad to see it occupied.
(d) He is excited to see it.
8. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
(a) They went back to London.
(b) They were ill.
(c) The war.
9. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
(a) A photograph of Zach's father.
(b) A copy of Tom Sawyer.
(c) A copy of Shakespeare's works.
(d) A picture of the two boys.
10. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
(b) A dog.
(c) A baby.
(d) His father.
11. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
(b) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
(c) The loss of his wife and baby.
(d) His need for a son.
12. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(a) Salty mouth.
(d) Fish town.
13. Why does Tom go to see Mrs. Fletcher after his fire-watch duty?
(a) Mrs. Fletcher is about to get a telegram.
(b) He wants advice about Willie.
(c) Anne Hartridge is about to get a telegram.
(d) He wants to speak with George.
14. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
(a) He is sent back to London.
(b) He has become ill.
(c) His mother does not want him to.
(d) He can't memorize the lines.
15. At the end of Chapter 17, "the Rescue," where do Tom and Willie sleep?
(a) At the blacksmith's house.
(b) At Tom's house.
(c) At Doctor Little's house.
(d) In the back of Dobb's carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is George wearing a black armband?
2. What does Geoffrey decide to do for work?
3. What is in Wilie's arms when they find him under the stair?
4. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
5. Who goes with Tom to London?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)