|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
(b) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(c) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(d) George will not be attending high school.
2. Why does Alec Barnes look embarrassed at carol practice?
(a) He can't sing.
(b) He does terribly in the rehearsal for the Christmas show.
(c) Everyone wants to know if his father has been using the King kids as slave labor.
(d) Everyone wants to know if his father has been hitting the King kids.
3. What do the Warden and Glad tell Tom about Mrs. Beech?
(a) She thinks she is above everyone else.
(b) She is a hard worker.
(c) She is a good person.
(d) She beats her child.
4. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
(b) They sleep under the night sky.
(c) Tom goes knocking on doors.
(d) They find an inn with a vacancy.
5. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She breastfeeds the baby.
(b) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
(c) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
(d) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
6. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
(a) The war.
(b) They went back to London.
(c) They were ill.
7. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge.
(b) An old man in an alleyway.
(c) Tom's house.
(d) The twins.
8. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
9. What has Geoffrey kept of his friend who was killed in the war?
(a) A piece of sculpture.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A drawing.
10. What does Tom do after carol practice when only he and Willie are in the church?
(a) He plays a song that Rachel loved.
(b) He admits that he was nervous to play for the choir.
(c) He admits that the choir is bad.
(d) He sings a song that Rachel loved.
11. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
(a) Act in a play.
(c) Write poetry.
(d) Ride a bicycle.
12. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She has run away.
(c) She is a bad person.
(d) She is a liar.
13. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will quit.
(b) He will play the role of Scrooge.
(c) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
(d) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
14. How does Zach die?
(a) His bus is blown up.
(b) A train crash on his way to London.
(c) In a fire.
(d) Blitzes in London.
15. Who goes with Tom to London?
(b) Mrs. Fletcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom have a nightmare about after Willie is gone?
2. What is Spooky Cott?
3. In March, Tom gets a letter from Willie's mother. What does it say?
4. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
5. What question does Carrie ask Mrs. Hartridge privately?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)