|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the authorities decide to do with Willie when they leave Tom's house?
(a) Leave Willie permanently with Tom.
(b) Take Willie with them back to a home in London.
(c) Take Willie with them back to his mother.
(d) Leave Willie temporarily with Tom.
2. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) They sleep under the night sky.
(b) Tom goes knocking on doors.
(c) They find an inn with a vacancy.
(d) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
3. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
(a) A visit to Spooky Cott.
(b) Another play.
(c) A baby shower for Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) A breakfast for Tom.
4. What news does Mrs. Hartridge share with Willie?
(a) Willie will get over Zach's death.
(b) She is returning to teaching.
(c) Miss Thorne and Geoffrey will marry.
(d) Her husband is alive.
5. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Tom is not allowed to stay.
(b) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(c) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
(d) Sammy is not with Tom.
6. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(a) Like two people.
7. What name does Zach give the town where he, Tom, and Willie are vacationing?
(b) Fish town.
(c) Salty mouth.
8. What does Carrie wear to school that she has never worn before?
(a) A new skirt.
(b) A white blouse.
(c) A new blazer.
(d) A necktie.
9. What part does Willie decide to take in the play?
(a) Mr. Smee.
(b) A lost boy.
(c) Peter Pan.
(d) Captain Hook.
10. How is Tom feeling when Willie arrives at carol practice?
(a) Angry because Willie is late.
(d) Sad because Rachel is not there.
11. What does Willie paint on his first day in Mrs. Hartridge's class?
(a) The twins.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) An old man in an alleyway.
(d) Tom's house.
12. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) George will not be attending high school.
(b) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
(c) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
13. What piece of himself does Tom finally share with Willie?
(a) The loss of his wife and baby.
(b) His grief in buying the paints for Willie.
(c) His struggle to teach Willie to read.
(d) His need for a son.
14. What do Geoffrey and Miss Thorne decide on for their first lesson?
(a) A science project.
(b) A poetry project.
(c) A nature project.
(d) An art pfoject.
15. What surprise is awaiting Willie when he returns to his house in London?
(b) His father.
(c) A dog.
(d) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zach give to Willie when Zach packs to leave for London?
2. What is celebrated on September 7th, 1940?
3. What does Willie teach himself to do after Zach dies?
4. What does Willie discover about his mother in Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
5. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)