|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is George wearing a black armband?
(a) His father was reported missing, believed dead.
(b) His brother was reported missing, believed dead.
(c) He is showing his loyalty to his country.
(d) His cousin was reported missing, believed dead.
2. How does Willie feel after spending the early evening with his mother?
(c) Like two people.
3. Why are three children missing from Mrs. Hartridge's class on Monday in Chapter 14, "New Beginnings"?
(b) They were ill.
(c) The war.
(d) They went back to London.
4. What does the psychiatrist recommend for Willie?
(b) To go to a children's home.
(c) To go back to his mother.
(d) To go home with Tom.
5. Who goes with Tom to London?
(c) Mrs. Fletcher.
6. Why does Willie get upset when Tom visits him in the hospital?
(a) Willie tells Tom he does not like the psychiatrist.
(b) Sammy is not with Tom.
(c) Tom does not plan on taking him home.
(d) Tom is not allowed to stay.
7. What news is Carrie waiting impatiently at the gate to give Zach after his return from the sea?
(a) George will not be attending high school.
(b) Mrs. Hartridge has decided to teach high school.
(c) She has failed the high school entrance exam.
(d) She has passed the high school entrance exam.
8. Why does Willie wish he had never gone to Weirwold?
(a) So he would always think his mom was kind and loving.
(b) So he would not be such a sinner.
(c) Because he missed his mother.
(d) Because the people there only pretended to care.
9. In the beginning of Chapter 18, "The Recovery," what does Tom recommend Willie do after his nightmare?
(a) Scream loudly.
(b) Go for a run.
(c) Stay quiet.
10. How do Tom, Willie, and Zach find a place to stay in Salmouth?
(a) They find an inn with a vacancy.
(b) Tom goes knocking on doors.
(c) They sleep under the night sky.
(d) Tom has called ahead to a lodge.
11. When he comes to her house to visit, what does Mrs. Hartridge do for Willie to help him heal?
(a) She holds the baby at arms length from him.
(b) She feeds him ginger cake and lemonade.
(c) She breastfeeds the baby.
(d) She speaks with him about her husband's death.
12. What is Zach fixing during the whole of Chapter 18, "Recovery"?
(a) An easel for Willie.
(b) A bike for himself.
(c) A carriage for Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) A fence for Mrs. Little's garden.
13. Where is Tom taken to his first night in London?
(a) An alleyway.
(b) Mrs. Beech's house.
(c) A shelter.
14. What does Willie decide about the play?
(a) He will continue doing what he has been doing.
(b) He will play the role of Scrooge.
(c) He will quit.
(d) He will play the role of Bob Crachit.
15. How is Geoffrey physically hurt?
(a) He has lost an arm and a leg.
(b) He has lost an ear and an arm.
(c) He has lost an ear and a leg.
(d) He has lost an both legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie doing when George comes to fetch him to bring him to the first carol practice?
2. What happens when Willie reads the part in Robert's absence?
3. Why can't Robert play the role of Scrooge?
4. As March comes, what do the children get together to plan?
5. How does Zach die?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)