|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(b) Black material for the windows at night.
(c) Clothes for himself.
(d) Clothes for Willie.
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) Tom let him cook.
(b) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(c) He ate potatoes.
(d) The dog licked his face.
3. Why is the librarian astonished that Tom wants a card for Willie?
(a) She knows Willie can't read.
(b) Tom hates the library.
(c) She sees Tom as being uninvolved.
(d) There is a rule against cards for placed children.
4. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
(a) To house more children.
(b) To cover his windows at night.
(c) To wear a gas mask.
(d) To dig an air-raid shelter.
5. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Willie can learn to read using it.
(b) Willie can look at the pictures.
(c) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(d) Tom will read it to him.
6. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
(a) Nipping at his clothes.
(b) Sleeping next to him.
(c) Barking at him.
(d) Sniffing his feet.
7. What does Tom add to the shelter?
(a) Bunk beds only.
(b) Bunk beds, candles, and plants.
(c) Canned food.
(d) A wireless.
8. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
(a) A dirty toothbrush.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A belt.
(d) Night clothes.
9. How old is Tom?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his fifties.
(c) In his sixties.
(d) In his thirties.
10. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because he is an evacuee.
(c) Because he can't read.
(d) Because he is Catholic.
11. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
(d) Not wet his bed.
12. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(a) Play with his sons.
(b) Dig another trench.
(d) Picnic and berry pick.
13. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(b) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
(c) To keep out the early morning sun.
(d) To keep invaders from their homes.
14. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
(a) England is at war with Germany.
(b) Germany has invaded England.
(c) The ir was over.
(d) Germany has withdrawn from Poland.
15. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(b) Bones for Sammy.
(c) Extra eggs.
(d) Extra milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
2. In Chapter 1, what is on the sleeve of the woman's coat?
3. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
4. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
5. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)