|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) A cardboard label.
(b) Rosary Beads.
(c) A picture of his mother.
(d) A cross.
2. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
(a) She is wearing red.
(b) She is wearing pants.
(c) She is with the boy from the post office.
(d) She enters without her husband.
3. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
(a) Lock the gates.
(b) Milk a cow.
(c) Knock at the door.
(d) Ride the horse.
4. What does Willie ask Tom to help him with while he is in the library?
(b) Finding a book.
(c) Getting a book off of the shelf.
(d) Learning his alphabet.
5. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for himself.
(b) Clothes for Willie.
(d) Black material for the windows at night.
6. What do the young Fletcher boys come looking for at Tom's?
(b) Their dad.
7. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed with other children.
(b) That he be placed near a school.
(c) That he be placed near a church.
(d) That he be placed with an elderly man.
8. How does the boy at the postmaster's differ from Wilie?
(a) He is much older.
(b) He is much smarter.
(c) He is much fatter.
(d) He is much tanner.
9. What does Tom have ready in the morning after Willie sleeps in the bed?
(a) Breakfast in bed.
(b) A new mattress.
(c) A tub of hot water.
(d) A new comic book.
10. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
(a) He wants to stay with Tom and Willie.
(b) He wants to get a hair cut.
(c) He wants to take a bath.
(d) He wants to come back the next day.
11. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is intelligent.
(b) That he is rude.
(c) That he needs a haircut.
(d) That he is too thin.
12. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(b) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(c) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(d) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
13. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is ready to learn.
(b) It is a bad day.
(c) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(d) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
14. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He hates school.
(c) His parents aren't actors.
(d) He can't sing.
15. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
(a) Willie is kind.
(b) Willie is afraid.
(c) WIllie is a loner.
(d) Willie is a talker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
2. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
3. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
4. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
5. What big gift does Tom give to Willie for his birthday?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)