|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(b) Willie is afraid he will break one.
(c) Willie can't buy one.
(d) He does not want to be alone.
2. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) Just So Stories.
(c) The Bible.
(d) White Fang.
3. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He hates school.
(c) He can't sing.
(d) His parents aren't actors.
4. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
(a) The ir was over.
(b) Germany has invaded England.
(c) England is at war with Germany.
(d) Germany has withdrawn from Poland.
5. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
(b) Catch tadpoles.
(c) Race against Sam.
(d) Swim in the pond.
6. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
(b) It is a bad day.
(c) He is ready to learn.
(d) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
7. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
(a) Roger, wilco, and out.
(b) In a while, crocodile.
(c) See ya later, alligator.
(d) Just looking for spies.
8. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) It is raining outside.
(b) So God will guide him in his drawings.
(c) The church is special to him.
(d) The church is empty.
9. How old is Tom?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his fifties.
(c) In his thirties.
(d) In his sixties.
10. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) A picture of his mother.
(b) Rosary Beads.
(c) A cross.
(d) A cardboard label.
11. Why are George's girls sulking on the way to berry picking?
(a) They want bigger baskets for their berries.
(b) They don't want to pick berries.
(c) They don't want Lucy to join them.
(d) They did not want the evacuues to come.
12. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) The vicar's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) The boy from the post office.
(d) A dog's.
13. What is the Little's building?
(a) An air-raid shelter.
(b) A school for the children.
(c) A bird house.
(d) A trench for feeding the horses.
14. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
(a) She is wearing red.
(b) She is with the boy from the post office.
(c) She is wearing pants.
(d) She enters without her husband.
15. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he needs a haircut.
(b) That he is rude.
(c) That he is intelligent.
(d) That he is too thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
2. What does Tom take Willie into the fields to see in Chapter 7?
3. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
4. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
5. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)