|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
(a) Willie can't keep up.
(b) Willie does not want to go.
(c) Willie has no boots, so he can't go.
(d) Willie is afraid to go.
2. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
(c) Sodom and Gomarah.
(d) Noah's Ark.
3. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A dog's.
(b) The boy from the post office.
(c) His mother's.
(d) The vicar's.
4. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for himself.
(b) Black material for the windows at night.
(d) Clothes for Willie.
5. What news does Zach bring to the kids about school?
(a) The school will close because of the war.
(b) There will be a Christmas play.
(c) There will be a big carol chorus for Christmas.
(d) Mrs. Hartrigde is pregnant.
6. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Catch tadpoles.
(b) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
(c) Swim in the pond.
(d) Race against Sam.
7. What big gift does Tom give to Willie for his birthday?
(a) Sketch pads and pencils.
(b) A pony.
(c) A visit from his mother.
(d) A new bed.
8. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed near a school.
(b) That he be placed with other children.
(c) That he be placed with an elderly man.
(d) That he be placed near a church.
9. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
(a) A bomb explodes nearby.
(b) They slide down a ravine.
(c) It rains heavily on them.
(d) Nothing in particular.
10. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
(a) Dobbs neighs.
(b) Dobbs licks Willie's hand.
(c) Dobbs sends Willie stumbling backwards.
(d) Dobbs nips at Willie's hand.
11. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
(a) A belt.
(b) Night clothes.
(c) A dirty toothbrush.
(d) A Bible.
12. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
(b) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
(c) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(d) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
13. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
(a) Jumps on his bed.
(b) Performs a play.
(c) Tap dances.
(d) Wrestles with Willie.
14. What does Zach tell Willie that his parents do for a living?
(a) They work for the government.
(b) They are serving in the war.
(c) They are teachers.
(d) They work in the theater.
15. Why do Mr. Fletcher and his sons come to Tom's house?
(a) To build a room for Willie.
(b) To dig a trench.
(c) To eat supper.
(d) To teach Willie about God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
2. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
3. How has Willie's room changed?
4. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
5. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)