|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the librarian astonished that Tom wants a card for Willie?
(a) There is a rule against cards for placed children.
(b) She sees Tom as being uninvolved.
(c) Tom hates the library.
(d) She knows Willie can't read.
2. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(b) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(c) The rubber sheets are gone.
(d) The bed is larger than before.
3. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) The church is empty.
(b) The church is special to him.
(c) It is raining outside.
(d) So God will guide him in his drawings.
4. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) His mother's.
(b) The vicar's.
(c) A dog's.
(d) The boy from the post office.
5. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
(c) Pick berries.
6. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A garden.
(b) An orchard.
(c) A pond.
(d) A graveyard.
7. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(b) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
(c) He is ready to learn.
(d) It is a bad day.
8. What is the first of Willie's drawings that everyone sees on his birthday?
(a) A person praying in church.
(b) The pulpit.
(c) An eagle flying in the rain.
(d) Jesus on the cross.
9. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is too thin.
(b) That he needs a haircut.
(c) That he is rude.
(d) That he is intelligent.
10. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He hates school.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) He can't sing.
(d) His parents aren't actors.
11. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A lantern.
(c) A ladder.
(d) A pick ax.
12. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
(a) A book.
(d) A balaclava.
13. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) The war is over.
(b) They misbehaved.
(c) Their parents could not give the government money.
(d) They are too homesick.
14. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) A cardboard label.
(b) Rosary Beads.
(c) A picture of his mother.
(d) A cross.
15. What news does Zach bring to the kids about school?
(a) There will be a Christmas play.
(b) There will be a big carol chorus for Christmas.
(c) Mrs. Hartrigde is pregnant.
(d) The school will close because of the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
2. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
3. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
4. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
5. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)