|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) Paint supplies.
(b) A war poster.
(c) A gas mask.
(d) Comic books.
2. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Just So Stories.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) White Fang.
3. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
(a) To practice running.
(b) To practice reading and writing.
(c) To practice drawing.
(d) To work in the garden.
4. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep out the early morning sun.
(b) To keep invaders from their homes.
(c) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(d) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
5. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) The bed is larger than before.
(b) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(c) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(d) The rubber sheets are gone.
6. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
(a) He doesn't care if people see them.
(b) They are the marks of his sins.
(c) He has not deserved them.
(d) He is unfazed by them.
7. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(b) Willie can't buy one.
(c) He does not want to be alone.
(d) Willie is afraid he will break one.
8. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(c) Ice cream.
(d) Gas mask.
9. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
(a) A pack of dogs.
(b) A small group of children.
(d) A large group of children.
10. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) The creation.
(b) Abraham and the commandments.
(c) Noah's Ark.
(d) Joseph and his coat.
11. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(a) Planting the turnips.
(c) Learning to write.
(d) New Bible stories.
12. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
(a) Willie doesn't like red.
(b) His mother told him red was sinful.
(c) Tom says he doesn't like red.
(d) He isn't given the choice of red.
13. What do the young Fletcher boys come looking for at Tom's?
(b) Their dad.
14. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) His parents aren't actors.
(b) He hates school.
(c) He can't sing.
(d) He is Jewish.
15. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(d) Sodom and Gomarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
2. What does Tom take Willie into the fields to see in Chapter 7?
3. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
4. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
5. How old is Willie?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)