|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what is on the sleeve of the woman's coat?
(a) A patch.
(c) The letter S.
(d) An armband.
2. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
(a) The sounds of traffic.
(c) A wood stove.
(d) A Bible.
3. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(b) Gas mask.
(c) Ice cream.
4. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
(a) To cover his windows at night.
(b) To house more children.
(c) To wear a gas mask.
(d) To dig an air-raid shelter.
5. What does Tom add to the shelter?
(a) Bunk beds, candles, and plants.
(b) A wireless.
(c) Bunk beds only.
(d) Canned food.
6. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
(a) She thinks Willie is in a bad place with Tom and away from his mother.
(b) She thinks Tom will take care of him the way his mother can't.
(c) She thinks Willie needs city air when he really needs the country air.
(d) She thinks Tom will teach Willie things he does not need.
7. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Race against Sam.
(b) Catch tadpoles.
(c) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
(d) Swim in the pond.
8. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
(a) He never had to choose a candy before.
(b) He does not understand what Tom wants him to do.
(c) He has never seen candy before.
(d) He does not know what the shopkeeper is asking.
9. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
(a) He no longer feels frightened.
(b) He no longer wets the bed.
(c) He no longer has any bruises.
(d) They learn that he has been beaten.
10. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is rude.
(b) That he needs a haircut.
(c) That he is too thin.
(d) That he is intelligent.
11. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
(a) A ladder.
(b) A pick ax.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A shovel.
12. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
(a) Willie is a talker.
(b) Willie is kind.
(c) WIllie is a loner.
(d) Willie is afraid.
13. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
(b) Blackberry jam.
(c) apple and black currant pie
14. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Average height and stocky.
(b) Small and thin.
(c) Average and thin.
(d) Tall and thick.
15. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
(a) A pack of dogs.
(b) A large group of children.
(c) A small group of children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
2. What does Tom take Willie into the fields to see in Chapter 7?
3. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
4. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
5. Why doesn't Willie talk to the girls as they pick blackberries?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)