|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
(a) She enters without her husband.
(b) She is wearing red.
(c) She is with the boy from the post office.
(d) She is wearing pants.
2. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
(a) That the teachers were mean to put him in Mrs. Black's class.
(b) That they cannot be friends with Willie any longer.
(c) That they are upset that Willie is not in their class.
(d) That reading and writing are fun.
3. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Catch tadpoles.
(b) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
(c) Race against Sam.
(d) Swim in the pond.
4. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
5. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
(a) Pick up the books.
(b) Sit quietly.
(c) Clean the floor.
(d) Put hymnals on the benches.
6. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
(a) Knock at the door.
(b) Ride the horse.
(c) Milk a cow.
(d) Lock the gates.
7. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(b) To let Willie have more than three books.
(c) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(d) To help Willie find picture books.
8. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
(a) The postman is ill.
(b) The postman is called to the war.
(c) The postman ran into a tree.
(d) She is the only one with a bicycle.
9. What upsets Carrie about George?
(a) He teases her all of the time.
(b) He has opportunities she wants and he does not.
(c) He can act in the play and she can't.
(d) He is smarter than she is.
10. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) Kind and sweet.
(b) A gossip.
(c) Mean and nasty.
11. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
(a) A dirty toothbrush.
(b) Night clothes.
(c) A belt.
(d) A Bible.
12. Why hasn't Willie painted at school?
(a) He is too poor.
(b) His mother won't let him.
(c) The other kids won't let him.
(d) Because he can't read and write.
13. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
(a) She thinks Tom will take care of him the way his mother can't.
(b) She thinks Willie needs city air when he really needs the country air.
(c) She thinks Willie is in a bad place with Tom and away from his mother.
(d) She thinks Tom will teach Willie things he does not need.
14. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He wets the bed.
(b) He cries.
(c) He has a wonderful dream.
(d) He sleeps soundly for the first time in his life.
15. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed near a church.
(b) That he be placed near a school.
(c) That he be placed with other children.
(d) That he be placed with an elderly man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zach tell Willie that his parents do for a living?
2. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
3. What news does Zach bring to the kids about school?
4. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
5. Why are George's girls sulking on the way to berry picking?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)