|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Zach that Tom and George both note?
(a) His vocabulary.
(b) His lack of intelligence.
(c) His laugh.
(d) His clothing.
2. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
(a) The postman ran into a tree.
(b) The postman is ill.
(c) The postman is called to the war.
(d) She is the only one with a bicycle.
3. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(b) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(c) The rubber sheets are gone.
(d) The bed is larger than before.
4. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A garden.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) A pond.
(d) An orchard.
5. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) Their parents could not give the government money.
(b) They are too homesick.
(c) The war is over.
(d) They misbehaved.
6. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
(b) Not wet his bed.
7. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(b) Tom will read it to him.
(c) Willie can learn to read using it.
(d) Willie can look at the pictures.
8. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
(b) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(c) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
(d) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
9. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) He was terrible at running.
(b) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(c) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
(d) Sam is licking his face.
10. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
(a) They nudge one another to take notice of Tom.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They snicker.
(d) They jump up to greet him.
11. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
(c) apple and black currant pie
(d) Blackberry jam.
12. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Catch tadpoles.
(b) Swim in the pond.
(c) Race against Sam.
(d) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
13. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He is conversing with the postmaster.
(b) He was reading a newspaper.
(c) He is sitting in a chair.
(d) He is writing to his mother.
14. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) It is much more crowded.
(b) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(c) The evacuees have their own room.
(d) There are no Catholics.
15. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) Tom let him cook.
(b) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(c) He ate potatoes.
(d) The dog licked his face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
2. What is the Little's building?
3. How does the boy at the postmaster's differ from Wilie?
4. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
5. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)