|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Willie talk to the girls as they pick blackberries?
(a) He is afraid of them.
(b) He knows they don't want him to talk.
(c) His mother said people would like him if he were invisible.
(d) He doesn't like them.
2. How old is Tom?
(a) In his forties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his thirties.
3. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Tom will read it to him.
(b) Willie can look at the pictures.
(c) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(d) Willie can learn to read using it.
4. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
(b) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(c) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(d) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
5. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed with other children.
(b) That he be placed with an elderly man.
(c) That he be placed near a school.
(d) That he be placed near a church.
6. What does the vicar ask Willie to do at church?
(a) Clean the floor.
(b) Sit quietly.
(c) Put hymnals on the benches.
(d) Pick up the books.
7. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) Mean and nasty.
(b) Kind and sweet.
(d) A gossip.
8. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
(a) To wear a gas mask.
(b) To cover his windows at night.
(c) To dig an air-raid shelter.
(d) To house more children.
9. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
(a) He never had to choose a candy before.
(b) He has never seen candy before.
(c) He does not know what the shopkeeper is asking.
(d) He does not understand what Tom wants him to do.
10. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
(a) They learn that he has been beaten.
(b) He no longer has any bruises.
(c) He no longer feels frightened.
(d) He no longer wets the bed.
11. Why is Zach so excited to get Willie home from the church?
(a) He wants Willie to show everyone the drawing.
(b) There is a surprise party for him.
(c) Lucy baked cookies for him.
(d) His mother sent a gift.
12. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) The Bible.
(b) White Fang.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) Just So Stories.
13. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He has a wonderful dream.
(b) He wets the bed.
(c) He cries.
(d) He sleeps soundly for the first time in his life.
14. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
(a) Willie's mother says running is sinful.
(b) He was terrible at running.
(c) Tom is mad at him for going so fast.
(d) Sam is licking his face.
15. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He hates school.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) His parents aren't actors.
(d) He can't sing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
2. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
3. How has Willie's room changed?
4. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)