|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(b) Black material for the windows at night.
(c) Clothes for himself.
(d) Clothes for Willie.
2. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is mean looking.
(b) She is funny.
(c) She is fat.
(d) She is beautiful.
3. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) A war poster.
(b) A gas mask.
(c) Comic books.
(d) Paint supplies.
4. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He is writing to his mother.
(b) He is conversing with the postmaster.
(c) He is sitting in a chair.
(d) He was reading a newspaper.
5. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) He ate potatoes.
(b) The dog licked his face.
(c) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(d) Tom let him cook.
7. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(b) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
(c) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(d) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
8. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He sleeps soundly for the first time in his life.
(b) He cries.
(c) He wets the bed.
(d) He has a wonderful dream.
9. What is different about Zach that Tom and George both note?
(a) His lack of intelligence.
(b) His vocabulary.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His laugh.
10. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(b) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
(c) To keep invaders from their homes.
(d) To keep out the early morning sun.
11. Why is Zach so excited to get Willie home from the church?
(a) Lucy baked cookies for him.
(b) There is a surprise party for him.
(c) His mother sent a gift.
(d) He wants Willie to show everyone the drawing.
12. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She sings too loudly.
(b) She taliks to Willie during the service.
(c) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
(d) She attempts to sit next to him.
13. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
(a) The ir was over.
(b) England is at war with Germany.
(c) Germany has withdrawn from Poland.
(d) Germany has invaded England.
14. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) Joseph and his coat.
(b) The creation.
(c) Abraham and the commandments.
(d) Noah's Ark.
15. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
(a) Dobbs neighs.
(b) Dobbs sends Willie stumbling backwards.
(c) Dobbs licks Willie's hand.
(d) Dobbs nips at Willie's hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
2. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
3. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
4. How has Willie's room changed?
5. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)