|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
(a) A large group of children.
(b) A pack of dogs.
(c) A small group of children.
2. How does the boy at the postmaster's differ from Wilie?
(a) He is much older.
(b) He is much smarter.
(c) He is much tanner.
(d) He is much fatter.
3. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) Just So Stories.
(c) The Bible.
(d) White Fang.
4. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
(a) Sniffing his feet.
(b) Sleeping next to him.
(c) Barking at him.
(d) Nipping at his clothes.
5. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Average and thin.
(b) Tall and thick.
(c) Small and thin.
(d) Average height and stocky.
6. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) Rosary Beads.
(b) A cross.
(c) A picture of his mother.
(d) A cardboard label.
7. Why is the librarian astonished that Tom wants a card for Willie?
(a) There is a rule against cards for placed children.
(b) Tom hates the library.
(c) She sees Tom as being uninvolved.
(d) She knows Willie can't read.
8. How does Tom make everyone laugh over Mr. Ruddles's entrance?
(a) Tom asks Ruddles if he had his nose under the door snooping.
(b) Tom is frustrated over so many people coming in to his home at once.
(c) Sammie tries to lick Mr. Ruddles face, and Tom thinks its funny.
(d) Tom makes a joke about the light.
9. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is fat.
(b) She is mean looking.
(c) She is funny.
(d) She is beautiful.
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 2 that makes Willie smile?
(a) The dog licked his face.
(b) Tom gave him socks that were way too big.
(c) Tom let him cook.
(d) He ate potatoes.
11. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(c) Gas mask.
(d) Ice cream.
12. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
(a) A good whipping is given.
(b) A big meal is served.
(c) Wailing of sins by everyone.
(d) Kneeling in prayer for a long time.
13. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To help Willie find picture books.
(b) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(c) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(d) To let Willie have more than three books.
14. What news does Zach bring to the kids about school?
(a) Mrs. Hartrigde is pregnant.
(b) There will be a Christmas play.
(c) There will be a big carol chorus for Christmas.
(d) The school will close because of the war.
15. Why doesn't Willie talk to the girls as they pick blackberries?
(a) He is afraid of them.
(b) He doesn't like them.
(c) His mother said people would like him if he were invisible.
(d) He knows they don't want him to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
2. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
3. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
4. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
5. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)