|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(c) Gas mask.
(d) Ice cream.
2. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
(a) First-aid post.
(b) Help at the school.
(c) Fire-watching duties.
(d) Run a canteen.
3. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(b) A gossip.
(c) Kind and sweet.
(d) Mean and nasty.
4. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
(a) Dobbs nips at Willie's hand.
(b) Dobbs sends Willie stumbling backwards.
(c) Dobbs neighs.
(d) Dobbs licks Willie's hand.
5. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for Willie.
(c) Clothes for himself.
(d) Black material for the windows at night.
6. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(b) Willie can't buy one.
(c) He does not want to be alone.
(d) Willie is afraid he will break one.
7. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She attempts to sit next to him.
(b) She sings too loudly.
(c) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
(d) She taliks to Willie during the service.
8. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Willie can look at the pictures.
(b) Willie can learn to read using it.
(c) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(d) Tom will read it to him.
9. What does the chapter title "The Case" refer to?
(a) A court case concerning the evacuees.
(b) A box Zach's parents send.
(c) A case of supplies sent to the school.
(d) A suitcase for Matthew Parfitt.
10. What upsets Carrie about George?
(a) He is smarter than she is.
(b) He has opportunities she wants and he does not.
(c) He teases her all of the time.
(d) He can act in the play and she can't.
11. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To help Willie find picture books.
(b) To let Willie have more than three books.
(c) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(d) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
12. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
(a) A wood stove.
(c) The sounds of traffic.
(d) A Bible.
13. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is too thin.
(b) That he needs a haircut.
(c) That he is rude.
(d) That he is intelligent.
14. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
(a) Willie does not want to go.
(b) Willie can't keep up.
(c) Willie is afraid to go.
(d) Willie has no boots, so he can't go.
15. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He can't sing.
(b) His parents aren't actors.
(c) He is Jewish.
(d) He hates school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
2. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
3. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
4. Why does Willie want to cry when he reaches the gate to the field?
5. What happens to Willie while he sleeps in the opening of Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)