|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie panicked in the newspaper shop?
(a) He has never seen candy before.
(b) He does not know what the shopkeeper is asking.
(c) He does not understand what Tom wants him to do.
(d) He never had to choose a candy before.
2. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(b) To keep out the early morning sun.
(c) To keep invaders from their homes.
(d) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
3. What do all of the children come to tell Willie after the first day of school?
(a) That they are upset that Willie is not in their class.
(b) That they cannot be friends with Willie any longer.
(c) That reading and writing are fun.
(d) That the teachers were mean to put him in Mrs. Black's class.
4. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He was reading a newspaper.
(b) He is writing to his mother.
(c) He is conversing with the postmaster.
(d) He is sitting in a chair.
5. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) His parents aren't actors.
(c) He hates school.
(d) He can't sing.
6. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
7. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) A cardboard label.
(b) A cross.
(c) Rosary Beads.
(d) A picture of his mother.
8. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A ladder.
(c) A pick ax.
(d) A lantern.
9. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) The creation.
(c) Abraham and the commandments.
(d) Joseph and his coat.
10. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(b) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(c) To help Willie find picture books.
(d) To let Willie have more than three books.
11. What does Tom think of Zach?
(a) That he is rude.
(b) That he is too thin.
(c) That he is intelligent.
(d) That he needs a haircut.
12. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The old lady neighbor.
(c) The school teacher.
(d) A dog.
13. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
(a) He wants to get a hair cut.
(b) He wants to take a bath.
(c) He wants to stay with Tom and Willie.
(d) He wants to come back the next day.
14. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(a) Dig another trench.
(c) Picnic and berry pick.
(d) Play with his sons.
15. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(d) Sodom and Gomarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
2. Why is the librarian astonished that Tom wants a card for Willie?
3. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
4. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
5. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)