|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
(a) Wailing of sins by everyone.
(b) Kneeling in prayer for a long time.
(c) A good whipping is given.
(d) A big meal is served.
2. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A garden.
(b) A graveyard.
(c) An orchard.
(d) A pond.
3. Why doesn't Willie pick the color red for his suspenders?
(a) Tom says he doesn't like red.
(b) Willie doesn't like red.
(c) He isn't given the choice of red.
(d) His mother told him red was sinful.
4. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
(a) In a while, crocodile.
(b) Roger, wilco, and out.
(c) See ya later, alligator.
(d) Just looking for spies.
5. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
(a) He says Willie is too thin to take off his shirt.
(b) He says Willie has a fever he needs to sweat out.
(c) He says it is no one's business.
(d) He says Willie has bruises he needs to cover.
6. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
(b) Gas mask.
(d) Ice cream.
7. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(b) Mean and nasty.
(c) Kind and sweet.
(d) A gossip.
8. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
(b) To help Willie find picture books.
(c) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(d) To let Willie have more than three books.
9. What is the boy doing at the postmasters when Willie first meets him in Chapter 3, "Saturday Morning"?
(a) He is conversing with the postmaster.
(b) He is writing to his mother.
(c) He was reading a newspaper.
(d) He is sitting in a chair.
10. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
(a) They snicker.
(b) They nudge one another to take notice of Tom.
(c) They jump up to greet him.
(d) They ignore him.
11. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
(a) Sniffing his feet.
(b) Barking at him.
(c) Nipping at his clothes.
(d) Sleeping next to him.
12. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
(a) They slide down a ravine.
(b) It rains heavily on them.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) A bomb explodes nearby.
13. On their walk to the field in the beginning of Chapter 7, what does Tom have Willie do?
(a) Race against Sam.
(b) Catch tadpoles.
(c) Swim in the pond.
(d) Take off his boots to feel the grass.
14. What is different about Zach that Tom and George both note?
(a) His vocabulary.
(b) His lack of intelligence.
(c) His laugh.
(d) His clothing.
15. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed with other children.
(b) That he be placed near a school.
(c) That he be placed near a church.
(d) That he be placed with an elderly man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
2. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
3. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
4. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
5. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)