|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) Willie can't buy one.
(b) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(c) He does not want to be alone.
(d) Willie is afraid he will break one.
2. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
(b) A balaclava.
(c) A book.
3. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
(a) Willie can learn to read using it.
(b) Willie can look at the pictures.
(c) Tom rushes Willie into his choice of one.
(d) Tom will read it to him.
4. What does the Prime Minister inform the country over the wireless?
(a) England is at war with Germany.
(b) Germany has invaded England.
(c) The ir was over.
(d) Germany has withdrawn from Poland.
5. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) It is much more crowded.
(b) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(c) There are no Catholics.
(d) The evacuees have their own room.
6. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(b) New Bible stories.
(c) Planting the turnips.
(d) Learning to write.
7. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A dog's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) The vicar's.
(d) The boy from the post office.
8. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
(a) His parents aren't actors.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) He hates school.
(d) He can't sing.
9. What does George invite Willie to do the day after they build the shelter?
(b) Dig another trench.
(c) Play with his sons.
(d) Picnic and berry pick.
10. What does Zach want to do that surprises Willie after they first meet?
(a) He wants to stay with Tom and Willie.
(b) He wants to get a hair cut.
(c) He wants to take a bath.
(d) He wants to come back the next day.
11. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
(a) He doesn't need paint.
(b) He hasn't been in there since Rachel died.
(c) He has no time.
(d) Willie is afraid to go in.
12. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
(a) The boy from the post office.
(b) Lucy, the daughter of Roe, the milk lady.
(c) The twins.
(d) Mrs. Hartridge, the teacher.
13. What new name does Zach give to Willie?
14. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
(a) He doesn't care if people see them.
(b) He has not deserved them.
(c) They are the marks of his sins.
(d) He is unfazed by them.
15. Why are George's girls sulking on the way to berry picking?
(a) They want bigger baskets for their berries.
(b) They did not want the evacuues to come.
(c) They don't want to pick berries.
(d) They don't want Lucy to join them.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
2. What does Tom take Willie into the fields to see in Chapter 7?
3. What does Zach do that makes the ceiling fall?
4. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
5. What does Tom tell Mrs. Fletcher he has seen Willie do for the first time?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)