|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Willie afraid to invite his friends to his room?
(a) He still wets the bed.
(b) The room is not fun.
(c) He thinks it will anger Tom.
(d) The room is very small.
2. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
(a) A ladder.
(b) A shovel.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A pick ax.
3. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
(a) Run a canteen.
(b) Help at the school.
(c) Fire-watching duties.
(d) First-aid post.
4. What is Willie's first thought of Mrs. Hartridge?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is fat.
(c) She is funny.
(d) She is mean looking.
5. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
(a) A gossip.
(c) Mean and nasty.
(d) Kind and sweet.
6. What does Zach tell Willie that his parents do for a living?
(a) They are teachers.
(b) They are serving in the war.
(c) They work for the government.
(d) They work in the theater.
7. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A wood stove.
(d) The sounds of traffic.
8. What do the townspeople do when Tom joins them at the meeting?
(a) They snicker.
(b) They nudge one another to take notice of Tom.
(c) They jump up to greet him.
(d) They ignore him.
9. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
10. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
(a) Knit Tom a jersey.
(b) Take Willie from Tom.
(c) Knit a jersey for Willie.
(d) Buy boots for Willie.
11. How does Tom make everyone laugh over Mr. Ruddles's entrance?
(a) Tom asks Ruddles if he had his nose under the door snooping.
(b) Tom makes a joke about the light.
(c) Tom is frustrated over so many people coming in to his home at once.
(d) Sammie tries to lick Mr. Ruddles face, and Tom thinks its funny.
12. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
(b) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(c) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(d) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
13. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She taliks to Willie during the service.
(b) She attempts to sit next to him.
(c) She sings too loudly.
(d) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
14. How old is Willie?
15. What Bible story does Tom tell Willie?
(b) Sodom and Gomarah.
(c) Noah's Ark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
2. What does Tom think of Zach?
3. What does Tom say about the comic book he wants Willie to choose?
4. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
5. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)