|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
(b) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) He is ready to learn.
(d) It is a bad day.
2. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) Willie is afraid he will break one.
(b) Willie can't buy one.
(c) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(d) He does not want to be alone.
3. Why is Zach so excited to get Willie home from the church?
(a) He wants Willie to show everyone the drawing.
(b) Lucy baked cookies for him.
(c) His mother sent a gift.
(d) There is a surprise party for him.
4. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) It is much more crowded.
(b) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(c) There are no Catholics.
(d) The evacuees have their own room.
5. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Extra eggs.
(b) Bones for Sammy.
(d) Extra milk.
6. What is Zach's impression of Willie?
(a) Willie is kind.
(b) WIllie is a loner.
(c) Willie is afraid.
(d) Willie is a talker.
7. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) A garden.
(c) A pond.
(d) An orchard.
8. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) Abraham and the commandments.
(c) The creation.
(d) Joseph and his coat.
9. What is ironic about Miss Thorne's thoughts concerning Willie's stay with Tom?
(a) She thinks Tom will take care of him the way his mother can't.
(b) She thinks Willie is in a bad place with Tom and away from his mother.
(c) She thinks Tom will teach Willie things he does not need.
(d) She thinks Willie needs city air when he really needs the country air.
10. How old is Tom?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his forties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his sixties.
11. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(b) The rubber sheets are gone.
(c) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(d) The bed is larger than before.
12. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
(b) Keep Willie company.
(c) Teach Willie rhymes and poems.
(d) Deliver books.
13. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
(a) Mrs. Hartridge, the teacher.
(b) Lucy, the daughter of Roe, the milk lady.
(c) The boy from the post office.
(d) The twins.
14. After Willie's first day of school, what does Tom say they will begin that evening?
(b) Planting the turnips.
(c) New Bible stories.
(d) Learning to write.
15. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
(a) A dirty toothbrush.
(b) A Bible.
(c) Night clothes.
(d) A belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Willie chosen to rise a bit earlier every day at the beginning of the "Birthday" chapter?
2. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
3. At the meeting, what does Tom volunteer to do?
4. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
5. How does Nancy Little's entrance into church surprise Willie?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)