|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom defend Willie against the question posed by the Fletcher boy about Willie's shirt?
(a) He says Willie is too thin to take off his shirt.
(b) He says it is no one's business.
(c) He says Willie has a fever he needs to sweat out.
(d) He says Willie has bruises he needs to cover.
2. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for Willie.
(b) Clothes for himself.
(d) Black material for the windows at night.
3. What does Doctor Little diagnose Willie with?
4. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
(b) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(c) The bed is larger than before.
(d) The rubber sheets are gone.
5. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
(a) Willie can't buy one.
(b) Willie is afraid he will break one.
(c) He does not want Tom to buy him one.
(d) He does not want to be alone.
6. Why do the country folk cover their windows at night?
(a) To keep invaders from their homes.
(b) To keep out the light of the missle blasts.
(c) To keep the bombers from seeing targets.
(d) To keep out the early morning sun.
7. Whose shadow does Willie see at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A dog's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) The boy from the post office.
(d) The vicar's.
8. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
(a) They slide down a ravine.
(b) Nothing in particular.
(c) It rains heavily on them.
(d) A bomb explodes nearby.
9. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(b) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(c) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
(d) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
10. What does Willie cook with Tom at the end of his picnic day?
(b) apple and black currant pie
(c) Blackberry jam.
11. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) A war poster.
(b) A gas mask.
(c) Comic books.
(d) Paint supplies.
12. Why does Willie end up in Mrs. Black's class?
(a) Because he is Catholic.
(b) Because of his age.
(c) Because he is an evacuee.
(d) Because he can't read.
13. What does the chapter title "The Case" refer to?
(a) A case of supplies sent to the school.
(b) A suitcase for Matthew Parfitt.
(c) A box Zach's parents send.
(d) A court case concerning the evacuees.
14. What is Sammy doing to Willie when Willie wakes up?
(a) Barking at him.
(b) Sniffing his feet.
(c) Sleeping next to him.
(d) Nipping at his clothes.
15. In Chapter 8, what is different about school this term ?
(a) The evacuees have their own room.
(b) A new teacher has been hired to teach the evacuees.
(c) It is much more crowded.
(d) There are no Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Zach that Tom and George both note?
2. What surprise has Tom gotten for Willie while they are in town?
3. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
5. What of Tom's did Zach use to finish the shelter?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)