|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Willie tell the children at the picnic that he likes to do?
(d) Pick berries.
2. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(b) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(c) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(d) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
3. Who greets Willie outside of church after the service ends?
(a) The twins.
(b) The boy from the post office.
(c) Mrs. Hartridge, the teacher.
(d) Lucy, the daughter of Roe, the milk lady.
4. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(b) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(c) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
(d) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
5. What is the Little's building?
(a) A school for the children.
(b) A bird house.
(c) An air-raid shelter.
(d) A trench for feeding the horses.
6. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Black material for the windows at night.
(c) Clothes for Willie.
(d) Clothes for himself.
7. What change comes for Willie at the end of the "Friday" chapter when his friends come to visit?
(a) He no longer has any bruises.
(b) He no longer wets the bed.
(c) They learn that he has been beaten.
(d) He no longer feels frightened.
8. Why are many of the evacuees sent back home in the beginning of "The Case" chapter?
(a) They are too homesick.
(b) They misbehaved.
(c) The war is over.
(d) Their parents could not give the government money.
9. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Average and thin.
(b) Small and thin.
(c) Tall and thick.
(d) Average height and stocky.
10. What Bible story doesTom tell Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) The creation.
(b) Joseph and his coat.
(c) Abraham and the commandments.
(d) Noah's Ark.
11. Why hasn't Willie painted at school?
(a) Because he can't read and write.
(b) His mother won't let him.
(c) He is too poor.
(d) The other kids won't let him.
12. What is Willie afraid Tom will write on the postcard to his mother?
(a) That he has been a bad boy.
(b) That she should come for his birthday.
(c) That he can't read and write.
(d) That she should come get him at once.
13. What does Tom want Mrs. Fletcher to do for him in Chapter 2?
(a) Take Willie from Tom.
(b) Buy boots for Willie.
(c) Knit Tom a jersey.
(d) Knit a jersey for Willie.
14. How does Tom make everyone laugh over Mr. Ruddles's entrance?
(a) Tom asks Ruddles if he had his nose under the door snooping.
(b) Tom makes a joke about the light.
(c) Tom is frustrated over so many people coming in to his home at once.
(d) Sammie tries to lick Mr. Ruddles face, and Tom thinks its funny.
15. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Bones for Sammy.
(b) Extra eggs.
(d) Extra milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Willie want to go into the toy shop?
2. What does Dobbs do to Willie when he tries to pat her after George does?
3. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
4. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
5. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)