|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Willie have when he, Tom, and Sammy go out to the fields in Chapter 2?
(a) Willie can't keep up.
(b) Willie has no boots, so he can't go.
(c) Willie does not want to go.
(d) Willie is afraid to go.
2. What present does Emilia Thorne give Willie that he has never had known before?
(b) A book.
(c) A balaclava.
3. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(b) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
(c) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(d) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
4. What favor does Tom ask of the librarian?
(a) To choose a book that she thinks appropriate for Willie.
(b) To let Willie have more than three books.
(c) To help Willie find picture books.
(d) To watch Willie while Tom shops.
5. What does Willie believe happens at the end of church service?
(a) Kneeling in prayer for a long time.
(b) A good whipping is given.
(c) A big meal is served.
(d) Wailing of sins by everyone.
6. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) White Fang.
(b) Just So Stories.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) The Bible.
7. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is ready to learn.
(b) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(c) It is a bad day.
(d) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
8. How old is Tom?
(a) In his sixties.
(b) In his fifties.
(c) In his forties.
(d) In his thirties.
9. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
(a) It rains heavily on them.
(b) They slide down a ravine.
(c) Nothing in particular.
(d) A bomb explodes nearby.
10. How has Willie's room changed?
(a) The bed is larger than before.
(b) A picture of his mother is on the shelf.
(c) The rubber sheets are gone.
(d) There are pictures on the walls of his drawings.
11. Why does Tom frown at Mrs. Fletcher in church?
(a) She taliks to Willie during the service.
(b) She almost ruins Willie's birthday surprise.
(c) She sings too loudly.
(d) She attempts to sit next to him.
12. How does Mr. Miller first greet Willie?
(a) Frightened, he is afraid Willie will be bad.
(b) Sadly, he feels sorry for poor, skinny Willie.
(c) Angrily, he is afraid he will steal from him.
(d) Happily, he is glad to have the Londoners in town.
13. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) Comic books.
(b) A gas mask.
(c) A war poster.
(d) Paint supplies.
14. Why hasn't Willie painted at school?
(a) He is too poor.
(b) The other kids won't let him.
(c) Because he can't read and write.
(d) His mother won't let him.
15. For what does Tom go to the draper?
(a) Clothes for himself.
(b) Clothes for Willie.
(c) Black material for the windows at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Willie feel about his bruises?
2. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
3. What does Tom find in Willie's belongings that angers him?
4. What does Tom teach Willie to do on their walk to mail the postcard?
5. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)