|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Tom, Willie, and Sammie on the way home from their walk in Chapter 2?
(a) Nothing in particular.
(b) It rains heavily on them.
(c) They slide down a ravine.
(d) A bomb explodes nearby.
2. What does WIllie discover is missing from Tom's house?
(a) A wood stove.
(b) A Bible.
(c) The sounds of traffic.
3. What does the word mackintosh refer to in chapter 1?
(a) A brown bag.
(b) A jacket.
(c) A computer.
(d) An apple.
4. Why does May Thorne begin delivering the mail?
(a) The postman ran into a tree.
(b) The postman is ill.
(c) She is the only one with a bicycle.
(d) The postman is called to the war.
5. What confusing saying did Zach leave Willie with on the night they first met?
(a) Just looking for spies.
(b) In a while, crocodile.
(c) See ya later, alligator.
(d) Roger, wilco, and out.
6. How does Willie feel about his first day of school?
(a) He is angry at Mrs. Hartridge.
(b) He is excited to be in Mrs. Black's class.
(c) It is a bad day.
(d) He is ready to learn.
7. What big gift does Tom give to Willie for his birthday?
(a) A visit from his mother.
(b) Sketch pads and pencils.
(c) A new bed.
(d) A pony.
8. What does Mrs. Beech mean when she writes that she had "sewn him in for the winter"?
(a) She had insured he would stay inside all winter.
(b) She had Willie sow a promise to be good.
(c) Willie's undergarments would not come off.
(d) She had stitched Willie's injuries.
9. Why does Willie go to the church to draw?
(a) The church is special to him.
(b) So God will guide him in his drawings.
(c) The church is empty.
(d) It is raining outside.
10. What is Tom carrying that surprises the librarian?
(a) Comic books.
(b) A war poster.
(c) A gas mask.
(d) Paint supplies.
11. What does Emilia Thorne often come to the house to do while Tom is at fire duty?
(a) Keep Willie company.
(c) Teach Willie rhymes and poems.
(d) Deliver books.
12. Who does WIllie meet while he is in the yard in Chapter 1?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The school teacher.
(c) A dog.
(d) The old lady neighbor.
13. What does Tom's front door look out onto?
(a) A graveyard.
(b) A pond.
(c) A garden.
(d) An orchard.
14. What does Tom need from Roe in Chapter 2?
(a) Extra eggs.
(c) Bones for Sammy.
(d) Extra milk.
15. From what book does Tom read to Willie after his bath in Chapter 6?
(a) Just So Stories.
(b) White Fang.
(c) The Bible.
(d) King Arthur.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie Rudder want of Tom?
2. How has Willie's room changed?
3. What do Willie and the other children discover about Zach?
4. What kind of a character is Mrs. Fletcher?
5. Why doesn't Tom want to go into the paint store?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)