Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Willie come to stay with Tom and how does Tom feel about this?
2. Why does Willie believe that he is a bad boy and what are the consequences of his being one?
3. What is the significance of the graveyard?
4. How is Willie's reaction to the squirrel and the dog telling of his character?
5. What does the reader learn about Tom as he walks through town with Willie in Chapter 2?
6. What becomes evident about Willie's education as Chapter 2 progresses?
7. Tom mutters to himself, "best not get fond of the boy, Thomas." Why do you believe that he says this, and what does he mean by it?
8. What might be foreshadowed by Tom dusting off the paints at the end of Chapter 2?
9. Why is Willie ashamed of himself? Should Willie be ashamed? Who has taught Willie his values and what kind of values are they?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)