Chapter 1, "Meeting"
1. In Chapter 1, what is on the sleeve of the woman's coat?
(a) A patch.
(b) An armband.
(c) The letter S.
2. At the beginning of the novel, what is standing at the large iron gate of Tom's home?
(b) A pack of dogs.
(c) A large group of children.
(d) A small group of children.
3. What is the mother's concern for her child's placement in Chapter 1?
(a) That he be placed with other children.
(b) That he be placed near a school.
(c) That he be placed with an elderly man.
(d) That he be placed near a church.
4. What is hanging around Willie's neck?
(a) A picture of his mother.
(b) Rosary Beads.
(c) A cardboard label.
(d) A cross.
5. How is Tom described in Chapter 1?
(a) Average height and stocky.
(b) Tall and thick.
(c) Small and thin.
(d) Average and thin.
6. How old is Tom?
(a) In his sixties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his fifties.
(d) In his forties.
7. How old is Willie?
This section contains 5,281 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)